6 Days left to blemish my tag!!!

X
xltom
Hey everyone!
Merry Christmas!! I've tried 4 times to get a big fish on my salmon/steelhead tag and got skunked all 4 times. I trolled for coho twice and plunked for steel the other day. In fact I've never caught a salmon or steelhead(except for 1 land locked chinook). I'm from the east coast.

Does anyone have any advice on getting into something before my tag dies a virgin?? I live in springfield(don't laugh).....Thanks

S
steelhead_stalkers
Go the upper Siuslaw, there have been fish being caught and they get a great number of steelhead back to the trap.

T
Thuggin4Life
Man I have been wanting to go hit the slaw and redeem my self from the ice fishing. Since you haven't learned to drift fish I would just go back to were we took you while you are down ther for the holidays. And I'll make sure to include you in my next trip which will probably be sunday.

Y
youngbuck307
ill just say took me WAY more than 4 trips on trying for steelhead befor i got my first one... most people will say i was lucky to get into fish like i did and it took going about 100-200 times befor i got my first one and that was a hand off.....

L
livin2fish
:yay::lol::yay::lol::yay:myself and fishhunter are gonna try to make it to the slaw on sunday, maybe we'll run into some of you offers over there, merry xmas,Fishon.:lol::yay::lol::yay::lol::yay::lol::yay:

S
skunk
oh youngbuck, I feel so much better now! This is my first year and I'm just getting the feel for drift fishing, and got my jig and float setup to work. I guess I won't give up getting skunked just yet.

X
xltom
Youngbuck,
You seriously fished for over a hundred outings without a hookup? Wow you're tenacious... After 4 skunks I'm dying to catch anything. I thought about chasing something else just to break the pattern....

T
Thuggin4Life
I didn't get a single winter last season and the year before was my first winter and I got one first trip out and that was that. Not that I haven't tried. Now I'm on the third winter and i think I got things figured out a bit better from all my trips gathering knowledge and tecknique. Only have a handful of trips for summers each year 3 years running (are's aren't as nice as the winters since they have so many miles on them) and still haven't got one. I did get a nook one year but only actually tried for springers this year. Did the tide water thing without any nooks but several non keeper coho so i tried the coho run and got 4 my first year out but came back empty handed at least half the trips if not more. Give it time and time will tell.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Thats the great thing about steelhead and salmon. Every time you hook one its like your first!! It never gets old! You will get into them just keep it up.

P
plumb2fish
Whittacker was slow today only saw one steelie and one ho. Talked to several people and those were the only ones I heard of. Water is almost too low for me in the upper river to bank it and a bit too high for whre I like to bank it on the lower river. I guess thats why I bought a drifter. Maybe I should use it.:D

Y
youngbuck307
No man dont give up i went for a long time befor i meet up with someone who showed me a lot.... he is a guide now and will be booking trips soon! there are a few guys that have gone years with nothing to show for it so keep your head up and keep working....

also i was out 3-4times a week not getting anything.some times a few hours on the way into work sometimes for 8 hours on days off.My girlfriend didn't like me much then but now i get into some fish now and then and dont work i have gone 5days in a row when coho were running

Y
youngbuck307
steelhead_stalkers said:
Thats the great thing about steelhead and salmon. Every time you hook one its like your first!! It never gets old! You will get into them just keep it up.

your so right i might not say every fish because you learn how to calm down a lil and not make mistakes... but there are always them fish that still give me the shakes for a few min once im done just like that first one did..... crap first winter i lost i couldnt rerig to get back out for at least 10min because i was shaking so much

B
Bfishin
youngbuck307 said:
your so right i might not say every fish because you learn how to calm down a lil and not make mistakes... but there are always them fish that still give me the shakes for a few min once im done just like that first one did..... crap first winter i lost i couldnt rerig to get back out for at least 10min because i was shaking so much

You're right about the adrenaline shakes. The other day I hooked in to the biggest steelhead of my life! Just a giant fish. After fighting it for several minutes he snapped me off. I could barely get my roe on my hook after that cuz i was shaking so bad! It really is an adrenaline rush.

F
Fishtopher
xltom said:
Youngbuck,
You seriously fished for over a hundred outings without a hookup? Wow you're tenacious... After 4 skunks I'm dying to catch anything. I thought about chasing something else just to break the pattern....
(Do that. It'll make you feel better!)

Haha, I probably went waaay more than a hundred before taggin one out. We are talking multiple tags without a steelhead here:lol:. Did pick up a few nice native fish along the way, but when you go that long without bringing a fish home, the wife starts wondering where Im at when I say Im fishin'.