3/11 Charleston.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Good day out.
Got on the water by 10 am and set traps then tossed plastics along the jetty while they soaked.
For three pulls we harvested 15 legal size and tossed back lots of females and undersized. We kept a few good sized reds as well. Tossed back a bunch of those as well.
Our plastics brought in two Black Rockfish, none really big bay fish but not small, and one greenling. Had a couple of grabbers that only held on for a few good pulls. So the fish were around.
The crabbing wasn't great but it was what I call good.
Breese was a little more than expected and it was definitely chilly.
Busiest Day at the launch that I've seen at Charleston.
Must have been a good open water day.

Reactions: Raincatcher and jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
Sounds like a good day to me.

Reactions: plumbertom
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
plumbertom said:
Good day out.
Got on the water by 10 am and set traps then tossed plastics along the jetty while they soaked.
The crabbing wasn't great but it was what I call good.
Breese was a little more than expected and it was definitely chilly.
Busiest Day at the launch that I've seen at Charleston.
Must have been a good open water day.
you are correct about that, I spent the day OFF Simpson reef and the lingcod wore my arms out, landed 12 to the kayak and released a very strong cabezon plus several rockfish joined in on the fun. sadly, only 2 keeper crabs in my pots and one of them jumped out before I could grab him.

AMdiv7N.jpg

qkxaVA8.jpg

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Bet it ain’t like that out there today. 😬

Roger, tell me about your “stringer.” Do you hang your fish over the side? If so, are you worried about sharks or sea lions? I’ve become an evangelist for bleeding fish destined for the table, but I’m not sure I’d tie a bleeding fish to a kayak.

• Wow
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Shaun Solomon said:
Bet it ain’t like that out there today. 😬

Roger, tell me about your “stringer.” Do you hang your fish over the side? If so, are you worried about sharks or sea lions? I’ve become an evangelist for bleeding fish destined for the table, but I’m not sure I’d tie a bleeding fish to a kayak.
I use the same stainless stringers that spearfish divers use, things fall OFF kayaks real easy, once a fish in on the stringer, it's mine. I cut the gills and bleed it good, rinsing in the ocean and then into the bow hold or onto a towel on the back (when Pepper isn't riding back there). I don't hang them over the side but some blood definitely leaks out.

Might be more careful in SoCal but not up here, seeing a shark out here would be a thrill, not a threat.

Reactions: plumbertom and Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
That’s good intel your process and on the kit, thank you!

Concerning the confidence you have in the conviviality of the local shark population, I’m afraid I don’t share it. Sharks is sharks.

I love and respect them, but I don’t seek to make closer acquaintance with them, most particularly if I happen to be floating around in what amounts to a particularly hydrodynamic chaise lounge. 😳

• Haha
Reactions: plumbertom and rogerdodger