2016 Blacktail hunt!

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Third year in a row I've started a thread on the upcoming Blacktail deer season! Who else is buying a tag this year? I've tagged out last two years in a row looking to make it a third year straight! I'll be hunting the high country of the Santiam unit opening weekend then I'll be hunting my stomping grounds around the Alsea - Stott Mountain units border the rest of the season. Good luck to everyone wether you're getting a blacktail tag or an eastern Oregon tag, rifle or bow! Post pics on f your hunts and feel free to chime in on info or tactics!

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I have the high cascade tag this year again. I am tempted to forgo the early season and simply hunt the general Western Oregon season. I am not sure. I thought I had made up my mind on that plan, and then I got my letter and map in the mail from ODFW. Now I find myself planning and reading maps to prep. I think the weather will be the deciding factor for me.

H
Hookset
I will be hunting just the general season western Oregon tag. Most of my hunting will be in the Santiam unit.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Hope both you guys tag out! I'm mostly excited that Weyerhaeuser isn't charging for access to Plum Creek's old units until 2017 so I don't need to drop money on a lease until my January/February cow elk tag rolls around.

Hookset: my buddy Darren who's guiding me in to the Santiam unit opening weekend has killed studs in there so good luck!

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
SiletzTroutKiller;n598172 said:
Hope both you guys tag out! I'm mostly excited that Weyerhaeuser isn't charging for access to Plum Creek's old units until 2017 so I don't need to drop money on a lease until my January/February cow elk tag rolls around.

I knew that Weyerhauser had bought a lot of the Plum Creek property, but I didn't know that were allowing access to it until 2017. That is really good to hear.

With the change in the weather recently I have been really excited to hunt the High Cascade season this year. Trying to get all of my gear ready. Good luck to you guys and I hope to see some photos of smiles and antlers in not to long.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
A buddy of mine talked to a Weyerhaeuser employee and the employee said no charging for permits in 2016 but in 2017 they're going to start. My father-in-law also heard the same thing from a guy who was high up in Plum Creek. Good news for us central coast hunters. That being said I'll end up buying a lease or permit anyway.

But it back to Blacktails!!!

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
No Title

Well the High Cascades hunt was a success!!! I took my first High Cascades Blacktail this year. We were up northeast of Lemolo Lake a couple of miles camped at a little lake. Caught a couple of nice rainbows out of the lake as well. Made for one heck of a weekend. We only filled my one tag, so hopefully we can get my dad and brother on a nice buck during general season.

Good luck to you guys and I hope to see some of your photos soon.

• photo30765.jpg
  • photo30766.jpg
H
Hookset
Great job. Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Well?!?!?!? How'd the season treat you guys?

We went out the weekend of October 29th with no luck. Had a lot of fun trying to help fill my Dad and Brother's tags though. I saw one nice bodied forked horn on the way to camp. Of course I was not ready or prepared. I had my rifle on the other side of the truck unloaded and my bullets buried in my pack.

I ended up doing a European style mount for my High Cascades buck just to try it (never had one done before). I got the skull back and completed, now I just need to find a fun piece of wood for a mount. We will see how it turns out.

Anyone else have any good stories from this years blacktail season?

H
Hookset
I have no good stories. Ended up with Tag soup for black tail this year.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
I had tag soup this year too. Saw four different bucks, three forks and a decent three point but couldn't capitalize on my opportunities as pathetic as that sounds. A buddy of mine ended up shooting the 3x though.
Still got a late season cow elk tag for the upper Siletz in my pocket though.