2010 Columbia Salmon Regs for Spring Chinook.

F
FishFinger
stream2.5 said:
it just says no fishing from a boat.... didn't say anything about setting plunking lineswith a sideplaner and a boat....... im thinking a big 300+ yard capacity spool and a side planer, use boat to set line in hole.... free spool to bank where boat is tied up under a fire and lean to

That's the first thing that popped into my nugget as well; using a boat to run out the gear and do all the catching form the shore. I know of a few places on the lower C where that is the exact tatic used quite often for Springers and URBs

Last edited:
A
Ahshakaman
Just a headsup guys one of the resons for this closeure is to allow up river fish (Idaho) fish to pass on up river without being hammered by you guys... we produce over 400,000 fish and yet we are not getting them here even though the pit tags say they are therein the mouth of the river so to help us out something has to be done after all they are our fish. Since ours our the first to head upriver hopefully after ours have a chance to pass you can get a season to catch your fish... good luck..

H
halibuthitman
and that folks is the whole f-ng problem..... your fish, our fish, my fish, his fish..... GODS fish.. quit dividing **** up with titles and tags and ownership... get out and put in the effort to catch a fish... for gods sake.. sheesh!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
K
Kodiak
Ahshakaman said:
Just a headsup guys one of the resons for this closeure is to allow up river fish (Idaho) fish to pass on up river without being hammered by you guys... we produce over 400,000 fish and yet we are not getting them here even though the pit tags say they are therein the mouth of the river so to help us out something has to be done after all they are our fish. Since ours our the first to head upriver hopefully after ours have a chance to pass you can get a season to catch your fish... good luck..

You guys are only putting in 400,000 smolt?...thats laughable. The river I live on puts 450,000. The river next to it 900,000, the mckinzie 1,000,000, middle fork of the willamette 900,000 to get back 62,000ish this year. Quit allocating so much to the pacific salmon treaty and you might get your 4,000 fish back. You guys might consider getting behind a gillnet ban or two. Also try throughing a smaller bait other than the fist sized gobs of mediocre eggs I've personally witnessed up there and you might hit a fish or two.

M
metalfisher76
Kodiak said:
You guys are only putting in 400,000 smolt?...thats laughable. The river I live on puts 450,000. The river next to it 900,000, the mckinzie 1,000,000, middle fork of the willamette 900,000 to get back 62,000ish this year. Quit allocating so much to the pacific salmon treaty and you might get your 4,000 fish back. You guys might consider getting behind a gillnet ban or two. Also try throughing a smaller bait other than the fist sized gobs of mediocre eggs I've personally witnessed up there and you might hit a fish or two.

uhem, true!

A
Ahshakaman
Kodiak said:

Ok i will draw you a picture since you obviously do not read before posting the Clearwater river Snake River and Salmon Rivers combined release more than 10,million smolts yep ten million the 400,,000 fish i spoke of is the amount of adults returning so who has the laughable numbers here ? want more fish get on your fish and game dept. we grow a lot of steelhead and salmon here we want to catch them as well and we also share with Native Americans so you don't have a monopoly on that either it is a problem all along the columbia basin not just Oregon...

K
Kodiak
Ahshakaman said:
Ok i will draw you a picture since you obviously do not read before posting the Clearwater river Snake River and Salmon Rivers combined release more than 10,million smolts yep ten million the 400,,000 fish i spoke of is the amount of adults returning so who has the laughable numbers here ? want more fish get on your fish and game dept. we grow a lot of steelhead and salmon here we want to catch them as well and we also share with Native Americans so you don't have a monopoly on that either it is a problem all along the columbia basin not just Oregon...

Math 101 for the biologically challanged 10,000,000 smolt x 0.01 (the average adult recruitment for hatchery spring chinook) = 100,000 adult fish-200 guys towing tco's x30 days = 12000. See we're not catching all your fish, they must be going some where else....hmmm gillnets take another 12000..ok almost a quarter of your run gone there. then there is the seals that take 15%..so now you are down 35000 fish but hey you put in 10 million smolt right?so 65,000 swimmers comming your way there buddy..ooops.forgot about the indians....32,500 down the drain...but you still have 35,200 comming right? well except the ones that pulled off into Drano lake for a day or two..there goes another 1000. and then there are the guys fishing below mcnary that's not off limits, and tricities, irrigon, mouth of the deschutes...hey I'm happy about the 10,000,000 smolt you HAD. 20,000 split between how many rivers? Look at that....just enogh left for you to catch a couple of up river boots, and for the hatchery to make its quota...almost like somebody planned it that way..could it be your federal gov. subsdedy (sp) to the commercial intrests? You mean the hatchery system panders to someone other than you?...sorry to burst your bubble bud, but those fish were never intended for you..thats why you aren't getting them.

H
halibuthitman
now I feel bad about the 2 early springers I caught here.. im only 60 miles from buoy 10 and 7 minutes to on the water.... must be at least 200 of YOUR early fish swimmin within 1000 yards of my smoker... but im done springer fishing for the year, and If I do go again I will kiss them and let them go for YOU.... so I guess YOUR run is safe.

Irishrover
Irishrover
The Oregon and Washington Fish Guys open the season in March because it is before the bulk of the run shows up. Keep in mind it is not the full month of March and part of the month it's a three day a week schedual. So here are some stats from the past that indicate fish passage up river out of the metro area. The stats are from the Army Corps of Engineers.

These are adult Chinook salmon crossing Bonneville Dam. 2007 shows a similar patern.

Year 2008........................ 2009
March 170 ......................164
April 40,547...................23,526
May 102,419 ..................157,489
June 67,117.....................88,523
July 22,775.....................30,829

Our season is finished in the first part of April then the real run comes in. It is designed to alllow escapment for the up river fish. The only thing the closure above the 205 bridge does is to stuff the boats into a smaller aera. You have the same amout of hooks chasing the same fish only more consentrated. Spreading the boats out allows for more escapement. The reason the numbers are low in March is because it's just the start of the run. We call them springers because the real run comes in the spring which is why the April, May and June numbers are high. That is when we are not fishing for them. We really don't even get a shot at your fish even after they swim in our ocean and eat our herring.:)

Last edited:
K
Kodiak
You see Ashakaman, we are all in the same boat so to speak. The closure of that section of river affects more the economic end of things for us, and dispearses litterally millions of dollars more evenly throughout the economy, with the closure, it bottles those dollars up in the portland metro area. It does nothing to help your run, only causes anger with us, just as it does with you. Anyway its a verry sore subject for all of us. Didn't mean to lash out.

M
metalfisher76
Irishrover said:
The Oregon and Washington Fish Guys open the season in March because it is before the bulk of the run shows up. Keep in mind it is not the full month of March and part of the month it's a three day a week schedual. So here are some stats from the past that indicate fish passage up river out of the metro area. The stats are from the Army Corps of Engineers...

I don`t even go after those fish, not in to mad houses at all(no boat either), but I was about to post pretty much the same thing. Our closure is harder on HIS fish than if they`d left it open up to Bonny. It`s VERY basic mathematics!! It`s harder on my fish too see??? I fish the Clack. and crick almost exclusively for springers and prolly would have(and might still) had a good, good run. NOW???????? To many ????? now.

A
Ahshakaman
Kodiak No problem here i understand where you are coming from and you sound like you understand our delema, last year the salmon river had over 150,000 adult returns with 45 ,000 jacks there limit was 4 jacks a day and two adults per day the snake had fewer but still a great run the Clearwater where i live had squat for fish with our share being 2,000 fish one a day and 4 jacks if you could catch them but if you tagged your one fish you had to stop fishing Brilliant! So the nubers caught from the mouth of the columbia to bonny the number i am getting is 27,000 fish caught netted etc now these fish in April as i agin understand our Idaho fish first in and first headed up river as they have the farthest to go bottom line is our season opens april 24th Doh there is no fish here to fish for. Middle of May we start catching fish by june 12th it was closed where do they all go? i have no clue and i have no answer that will satisfy everyone but i think a start is whatever state you live in your season and that of the NA's there in that state should be set accouring to the amount of fish that state
2 years prior i know it is not perfect but the jest is if your state is not producing fish then you get no fishing pitt tags will tell the story.. anyway hope you guys get some fishing..