Who is goin' where for trout opening day?

S
SmallStreams
I'm headed to the Marys River.

S
Spydeyrch
SmallStreams said:
I'm headed to the Marys River.

Have you ever fished it before? I have read that it is pretty dirty and that the fishing really isn't too good until you get up pretty high on it and even then, the fish are few and far between. Is that true? I have never been there before. :think:

-Spydey

brandon4455
brandon4455
im going to a stream :lol:

Reactions: wozniasm
troutdude
troutdude
I used to fish it all of the time, as a wee one. Back then (35+ years ago), it was chock full of small cutties.

brandon4455
brandon4455
it is slower moving water,more suited to lure fishing then flies, but i know there are trout there

S
Spydeyrch
brandon4455 said:
im going to a stream :lol:

Dude!! Where are you going? Is it any good? Going after suckers? I am going after carp on dirty little lake. :lol: hahahahaha :lol:

-Spydey

brandon4455
brandon4455
actually im going for carp in a small pond next time the weather is good! LOL. im going to some little poluted stream with a bunch of stunted 8 inch cutthroat that fight like a wet sock i can't say the name because it's a secret

Last edited:
D
DYJ
I'm gonna row down the McKenzie as my father inlaw and grandfather inlaw do thier part to help eliminate the planters. :D

S
SmallStreams
Spydeyrch said:
Have you ever fished it before? I have read that it is pretty dirty and that the fishing really isn't too good until you get up pretty high on it and even then, the fish are few and far between. Is that true? I have never been there before. :think:

-Spydey

Yup, fished Marys River before. We had this conversation last year :)

Above Philomath and on up the Tumtum River is cutthroat territory (and the occasional squawfish). Many small hungry fish (2-4 strikes if you don't hook them), a few wary good fish (one strike and you're out!). Access points are few and there are some long slow sections that can be skipped. When the water warms, the fish will be where there is a cold water source, usually a spring or very deep water with current. Above Blodgett, Marys River passes through a sandstone layer that silts up the water, which is why you'd want to stick with the Tumtum River.

S
SmallStreams
DYJ said:
I'm gonna row down the McKenzie as my father inlaw and grandfather inlaw do thier part to help eliminate the planters. :D

Some day I'm going to have to try that!

S
sunsalem
troutdude said:
I used to fish it all of the time, as a wee one. Back then (35+ years ago), it was chock full of small cutties.
Living in Philomath back then, I fished it a great deal.
Water access was a problem, but if you could get some, there were cuts to be had.

T
TTFishon
Leaving this afternoon for Wickiup.

B
bigsteel
TTFishon said:

have a great trip Ted,catch some big browns

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
bigsteel said:
have a great trip Ted,catch some big browns

Thanks man! I'm gonna try. lol

T
TTFishon
Sinkline said:
Have a great time!

Last Fall there were more Rainbows in my catch at Wic. than normal, perhaps you'll tie into one of those large wild beast!

Randy

That would be sweet! So far my biggest Wickiup bow is 23 inches.

R
rippin fish lips
TTFishon said:

Have a safe trip TT, and hope you slay the fish!!

now for the question... I will hit the mac for some Lower river action with cuts, then i will work my way up and pick up a few stockers, then it is on my way up to the damn with some eggs and shrimp, gunna go after that elusive steelhead!! It will be a "native, and hatch" day for me. ohhh yeah... guess i should get a new rod to, can't catch a fish with a broken rod!

D
DYJ
rippin fish lips said:
now for the question... I will hit the mac for some Lower river action with cuts, then i will work my way up and pick up a few stockers, then it is on my way up to the damn with some eggs and shrimp, gunna go after that elusive steelhead!! It will be a "native, and hatch" day for me. ohhh yeah... guess i should get a new rod to, can't catch a fish with a broken rod!

you never asked a question.... after you said, "now for the question..." :think:

I'm confused ;)

J
JeannaJigs
Camping at wickiupppp. Should be good times, even if the fishing is crap, but I don't expect it to be :) browns can't resist the Dora rod.

B
Big3d
workin opening day but my first trout season trip will be spinning on the breitenbush.