What type of saltwater fishing interests you?

• Halibut

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Tuna

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Salmon

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Bottomfish

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Shark

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
M
mikeredding
They all interest me but Tuna tops the list.

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I voted for halibut. To tell you the truth, I would love to fish for all of them but won't hold my breath. ;)

C
chrisohm
All of the above but I am not interested in eating shark...fishing near or on the salt is one of my favorite! I don't get seasick either! Ok so I had to voted tuna because I have yet to catch a tuna. I have yet to catch a shark but I am sure it wouldn't be too hard...depending on size.

Last edited:
E
eugene1
We can't vote for two or more?

Salmon and TUNA! for me please.

Best,

Irishrover
Irishrover
All the above except sharks. My son and I caught on out by the south end of the rock pile a few years back. We boated it, looked at each other, like what the heck are we going to do now, then dumped it back over into the sea. Of course that was the right thing to do because we foul hooked it! The thing I enjoy about ocean fishing is the shear opportunity to go after for a wide selection of fish. It's hard to have a favorite but if I were forced to it would be salmon because as a kid that was what we fished for. My first open ocean trip was on the Jimco out of Depoe Bay in July of 1961. I caught a silver and my brother caught a chinook. After that I was hooked for life.

M
mikeredding
eugene1 said:
We can't vote for two or more?
I didn't set it up correct and couldn't seem to find a way to edit.
Sorry.

M
mikeredding
Irishrover said:
All the above except sharks. My son and I caught on out by the south end of the rock pile a few years back. We boated it, looked at each other, like what the heck are we going to do now, then dumped it back over into the sea. Of course that was the right thing to do because we foul hooked it!

I am planning on targeting them for sport this summer. I have bought specific gear and plan on going for it. Mostly Blues in our waters which will all be released. If we manage to get a Thresher, Salmon Shark or Mako it will become steaks.

C_Run
C_Run
I know you're talking about fishing from a boats and I have been on a few charters for tuna , halibut, and bottom fish. I've mostly fished from shore, though, so bottom fish have been the main target. I love them all.

M
mikeee2362
mikeredding said:
If we manage to get a Thresher, Salmon Shark or Mako it will become steaks.

*All the above

But my order would be the order you have them listed in.

T
Toyracer38
I pay for a Halibut tag yearly, but never ever have fished for them! Hmmm (love Oregon) Guess Halibut.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Toyracer38 said:
I pay for a Halibut tag yearly, but never ever have fished for them! Hmmm (love Oregon) Guess Halibut.

well sort of, the Combined Angling Tag covers salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, and pacific halibut...so you don't pay extra for halibut, it is 'tossed in' with your salmon/steelhead tag...:D:D:D

Reactions: eugene1
E
eugene1
You are wasting your money then! They are good eats.

Go and get one,

Toyracer38 said:

T
Toyracer38
I'm just saying, I don't recall paying $26.50, back when it was just a Salmon/Steelhead tag. I get my moneys worth out of the tag, but I would rather have a set of Ginsu knives "tossed in", rather than Halibut and Sturgeon :D

T
troutmasta
All of the above in this order

TUNA
HALIBUT
SALMON
SHARKS
BOTTOM FISH

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
Halis were my vote, but I would fish/eat any in the poll! :thumb:

Irishrover
Irishrover
Toyracer38 said:
I'm just saying, I don't recall paying $26.50, back when it was just a Salmon/Steelhead tag. I get my moneys worth out of the tag, but I would rather have a set of Ginsu knives "tossed in", rather than Halibut and Sturgeon :D

I think you are going to get your wish, well not the Ginsu knife set but according to Bill Monroe's article in todays paper they are going to remove halibut and sturgeon from the tag and charge more for it. They (ODF&W) then will create a seperate halibut and sturgeon tag that you can pay for. At least now they won't be mixing in white fish with salmon anymore. This is scheduled to happen in the next budget cycle. There is good news for senior citizens too the pioneer fishing license that you used to get if you were 65 or older and lived in the state for 50 years, ODF&W wants to start charging for that too. So the real good news is you won't have to have halibut on a salmon tag anymore and you can just fish for salmon.:)

M
mikeredding
And deeper into the pockets........................

And deeper into the pockets........................

Irishrover said:
I think you are going to get your wish, well not the Ginsu knife set but according to Bill Monroe's article in todays paper they are going to remove halibut and sturgeon from the tag and charge more for it. They (ODF&W) then will create a seperate halibut and sturgeon tag that you can pay for. At least now they won't be mixing in white fish with salmon anymore. This is scheduled to happen in the next budget cycle. There is good news for senior citizens too the pioneer fishing license that you used to get if you were 65 or older and lived in the state for 50 years, ODF&W wants to start charging for that too. So the real good news is you won't have to have halibut on a salmon tag anymore and you can just fish for salmon.:)
I don't want this thread to get off topic so all I will say is,
WONDERFUL.:mad-new:

Irishrover
Irishrover
For some good news the ocean might be settling down up here on Thursday and we might get a solid chance at going after some halibut. If that fails to happen I'm going to hit the river and target starry flounder. Not the same as a halibut but at least they look similar. Other goood news is that north of cape falcon on May 31 to June 13th we will be allowed to hit the ocean and and keep two fin clipped chinook. That changes on June 14 to one chinook and one fin clipped coho or two fin clipped coho. Now we are back to the real point of the thread what do folks prefer to fish for. Troll deep for chinook or up top for silvers.............

M
mikeredding
Definitely deep for Chinook. In fact I added downriggers just for this last year but have yet to get a fish while running them.

C
cpeaslee
Jigging for sea bass in the bay, near the jetty.