What fishing would look like if...

Admin
Admin
... all frozen fish from grocery stores would live in rivers?

Reactions: Moe
M
Moe
Swordfish and halibut in the sandy? Man that would be some crazy fishing haha

Admin
Admin
Moe said:
Swordfish and halibut in the sandy? Man that would be some crazy fishing haha

That would be fun to watch. :D

I guess steelhead is about to enter rivers. I'd like to know how much more steelhead would enter the rivers if part of them would not get in nets in the ocean on the way to the rivers. 2 times more? 20 times? 200?

J
joem
Anatoliy said:
That would be fun to watch. :D

I guess steelhead is about to enter rivers. I'd like to know how much more steelhead would enter the rivers if part of them would not get in nets in the ocean on the way to the rivers. 2 times more? 20 times? 200?

if them frozen fish were in the rivers, it would deffinetly lower the river temp.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
joem said:
if them frozen fish were in the rivers, it would deffinetly lower the river temp.

:thumb:

H
halibuthitman
In most commercial fisheries 20% of the biomass is set aside for commercial harvest and another 15-20 % is allocated as by catch to some fisheries, mostly trawling and longlining. It would be pretty safe to say there would be between 40 to 60% more salmon in some systems without commercial fishing. Some systems would barely notice an end to commercial harvest.. Other rivers like the Dean in british columbia would see probably a 75-80% increase, particularly with summer and fall steelhead-

O
OnTheFly
What fishing would be like if.............FlyBum, Halibuthitman, and Steelmonkiller were to not fish anywhere for a whole season?

Reactions: OnTheDrop
Chromatose
Chromatose
TroutRun2.png

Reactions: eugene1
H
halibuthitman
Now thats what john montana would call a "target rich enviroment"!!!

M
Modest_Man
halibuthitman said:
Now thats what john montana would call a "target rich enviroment"!!!

Ha.

Steelhead returns were never anything like what the salmon returns were. Think hundreds of thousand vs. millions. Most of the runs today are between roughly 1 - 5% of what they were historically. Habitat loss, habitat loss, habitat loss.

Theoretically if we could get the runs back to what they once were they would be able to have a maximum sustainable yield of 50% each year, which is insane. Think about what people screwed up. What other natural resource could you harvest half of each year indefinitely?

H
halibuthitman
I think many fishermen would be surprised to learn that most of Oregons legendary salmon runs were wiped out, and some extinct by 1920... in 1918 it was illegal to commercial or sport fish any of the lower Columbia tribs, the sandy and Wilson were pretty much toast and the Necanicum had actually been subjected to nets placed completely across the river, that's why you can keep a native king in the necanicum.. geneticly the run has long been extinct. The Post ww2 industrial boom led to logging becoming mechanized and much more efficient, 1945 until the late 70's and even into the 80's in some areas had very little oversight and was done with no real thought of the environment... this was the death sentence of the Oregon native steelhead and coho runs.. just the Nehalem watershed alone is a logging environmental disaster... but new laws and more responsible logging practices are helping the coho and steel make a comeback. The 1980's and 90's introduced a lot of new organizations onto the outdoor scene... in the nick of time. I personally like to think we are looking forward to a brighter future- I recommend the movie "Rivers of a lost coast" to anyone who is curious about where all the fish went, the men that taught me how to steelhead fish came out of the Eel, and Smith and Russian river fisheries, their stories always exited me... and broke my heart- There is nothing in this world I enjoy more than fishing for steelhead..

Last edited:
M
Modest_Man
Salmon Without Rivers - A History Of The Pacific Salmon Crisis by James A. Lichatowich and King of Fish by David Montgomery are a couple great books that deal with the same.

[video=youtube;-MdcJX-YisU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-MdcJX-YisU[/video]

O
OnTheFly
What would fishing be like if.............fish only bit on carp meat?

Admin
Admin
OnTheFly said:
What would fishing be like if.............fish only bit on carp meat?

Carp would be Holly Carp. )