Well....another day, another skunk...

C_Run
C_Run
I'm surprised you didn't find any of my homemade spoons over there. I left a string of them in the river from Tidewater to Alsea about a week and a half ago. Right before dark I spotted a pod of three fish and probably casted a hundred times right to them with a pink worm, spoon, and finally a blue fox. I bounced the gear off their noses even with no interest. Should have had some smaller stuff to show them but did not. Finally one took a nip at the spinner and I caught the ugliest scrawny downer ever, not worth keeping. I'd say the cold must have been a factor , too.

D
DYJ
Keep your presentations small on the Alsea. I think it is important to read water but on the NF when every spot of prime steel head water has 6 bobbers getter ran through it, I think it's a good idea to try different water that the fish get forced into.

We had some really good days really early in the season on the NF but then it got slow.... real slow, for everyone it seemed. I imagine this rain will bring new fish in... either that or it's just not gonna be as good of a run this year. So don't feel bad. (even though someone is gonna chime in and say they've had a epic year there, I'm sure)

Also, you need to map out the route through Junction City, Monroe, to Greenberry Drive, to Decker. If you're goin through Philomath you're goin the long way. If we bank fish the Alsea again this year I will keep ya in mind and I am always looking for a second guy in the boat for local summer fishing after work...

Troutski
Troutski
B
Bgunder
Thanks for all your input guys,when I go to the Alsea I take greenberry to decker which is definitely way quicker.I also will throw spinners/spoons on occasion but I have put in a lot of time and practice with the float fishing and feel like it would be a waste to give it up now.I do everything I can think that I have read about such as adjusting depth so your right in the strike zone by drooping down till I tap the bottom then lowering my bobber stop slightly to get my presentation drifting in the strike zone.But if I was doing everything right I should be catching fish which I am not.I do know that to be a successful steelheader you need to have different techniques for different water so I do want to learn other techniques as well.Someday I will figure it out.

D
DYJ
Like I said, the fish counts have been considerably low this year at the NF hatchery. In the last few years, the Alsea has been our main winter river but all this month we started heading further north and tonight we'll travel several hours south to fish this weekend. I think either the Alsea fish are gonna come in thick in the next 3 weeks or they aint commin at all. Watch the fish counts.

O
OnTheDrop
Okay..If I apply to Cabelas this week and don't get a job I'm going to be livid.....

haha. Kidding man. Shoot me a PM if ya want some low water tips.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Let me know next time you are going over and I may be able to give you some pointers at the bridge hole. Its a great place to practice and hook fish. Keep at it. Float fishing is a great way to hook steelhead on the Alsea.

B
Bgunder
Ok thanks I will definitely let ya know, I am thinking of heading over this Friday depending on what the river conditions are.