Wader suggestion

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
No love for hodgies? I've been beating the crap out of my hodgeman breathables for years. Do a lot of rock and tree scrambling in them, lot of hiking, and *knockonwood* they're still going strong. No leaks. Breath well. The only problem I had with them was my own tardness - I left them in the trunk for two weeks - forgot to take them out after a trip and they got mildewed. That cleaned up with antibacterial soap and warm water - and a proper dry out.

Neoprene stocking keeps my foot as warm as any other wader has. I think I paid $100 or $120 for them. I guess Hodgeman isn't cool anymore :p

If I were to buy new waders (since it seems Simms, Patagonia, Frog Toggs, Allen, Redington, and Remington are gobbling up shelf space at the fishing shops) I'd probably order a nice set of guide model breathables from Cabelas. The USIA waders, are, IIRC, not breathable. I'm spoiled by breathables - if I wanted a wader that didn't breath, it'd be for winter fishing, in which case it's hard to beat 5 mil neoprene in which to bake in, while standing crotch deep in a 35 degree river...

Dryft waders look interesting, but the neon stripes on them are off putting. I try to minimize my coloration astream - not hang a neon sign around my neck. Not spending $200 on waders I'd have to take spray paint or scissors to to "fix" them out of the box.

C
ChezJfrey
hobster said:
There is a LONG thread on the USIA waders at the other forum - you know the one. They seem to get great reviews and I may try them in the future. Right now I use Cabelas breathable and my good ol Redingtons I've had for 10 years. Aqua seal does wonders!

I've had my USIA since early March. Here are my thoughts:

I got mine with an extra inside pocket, the larger exterior pocket, belt loops, and the Boggs insulated boot. The two pocket upgrades and belt loops added an extra $25 for each upgrade (x3) and the boot upgrade was $75.

I like the insulated boot feature a lot, but they lack traction and I miss the studs I used to have. I have contemplated adding short sheet metal screws (a trick I borrow from running on ice where I use sheet metal screws on running shoe soles), but the thin soles worry me. A very short 1/4" screw thread might still work...undecided if I want to risk driving them all the way through by accident.

My first thought when I got them is that the thickness is indeed heavy, but they seemed bullet proof. However, after a few weeks, I got the same problem I always get...the rubbing on the inside of the knees caused the colliding creases to saw through, creating some holes. I called Kim and he said bring 'em in and I'll fix them, it's a known issue. He turned them inside out and applied a bunch more tape at no charge. But, after a few more weeks, I got the same problem just outside the width of the extra seam tape. I'm sure he would have fixed them again, but St. Helens is such a far drive to continue dealing with that, so I just took some large rubber patches and used Aqua Seal to apply them on the inside; that seems to have done the trick now for a couple months.

They are non-breathable and sure enough, they become a sauna in warmer weather. I just suck it up and deal with that 'cause I'm tough that way :)

This is my first experience with an integrated boot and I'm liking the ease/quickness of donning/removal. I also like the Boggs because they are a smooth rubber boot on the outside that doesn't disintegrate like my other boots eventually did. The other nice thing is I no longer have to worry about all the hiking I do causing holes to wear through the bottom of a neoprene bootie; that is another problem I've had with stocking foot waders.

In short, the USIA are heavy and do get hot outside of winter. I still got friction holes around my knees fairly quickly, like every other wader I've tried. But I seem to have resolved that with rubber patches/seal on the inside for now. They have eliminated the other holes I used to get at the bottom of booties and the holes I used to get around the tops of the boots and the smooth rubber boots also eliminated the boot-falls-to-pieces problem. Oh, and the suspenders are not angled, intending to just go straight over the shoulder, but they slip off, so I just cross them at my back.

Besides the initial knee problem, the USIA have been OK for me. I really wish a design feature that has some sort of reinforced, slick material could wrap around the inside of the knee/leg of waders that would prevent the rough threads of the exterior fabric from acting like a saw (even the styles with no exterior seam on the inseam) when I walk because that has happened with every wader I've tried (2 styles of Redington, 2 styles of Hodgman, and USIA).

S
steelhead_slayer
Thank you for the info everyone. Right now I'm thinking I'm going to go with the dryft s13 wader based on price, comfort, durability, and features. The only thing I don't like is that they only have a 1 year warranty.

B
bigboy70
ok hopefully someone replies lol i am looking for chest high waders my probably is i stryed on a large stout and they were all right went to caddis brand and stout was wide enough my problem is seems like the inseam isn't high the ones i tryed on were large stout xl and xl stout and ran into this issue with all of them any suggestions im 6'3 300lbs and very broad shoulders ne one help please

jhop111
jhop111
Check out the bargain cave at c*****s . Got a very good pair of both neoprene and fabric waders at half price.

jhop111
jhop111
:applause:
Bargan cave at cabelas. Usually have 20 or more of various types. I got a pair of xl tall gortex cabelas brand waders. Stocking foot inside pocket dry pocket and detachable pouch. Reinforced knees to rock guard. Very very tough. Retailed at 250 and the bargain cave had a set for 125. Put 12 trips on them. No problems but a little fish blood on them. I even tumbled into blackberries and not a thorn hole in them. My hand wasn't as tough though.

B
bigboy70
Awesome thanks

D
DirectDrive
ChezJfrey said:
I've had my USIA since early March. Here are my thoughts:

I got mine with an extra inside pocket, the larger exterior pocket, belt loops, and the Boggs insulated boot. The two pocket upgrades and belt loops added an extra $25 for each upgrade (x3) and the boot upgrade was $75.

I like the insulated boot feature a lot, but they lack traction and I miss the studs I used to have. I have contemplated adding short sheet metal screws (a trick I borrow from running on ice where I use sheet metal screws on running shoe soles), but the thin soles worry me. A very short 1/4" screw thread might still work...undecided if I want to risk driving them all the way through by accident.

My first thought when I got them is that the thickness is indeed heavy, but they seemed bullet proof. However, after a few weeks, I got the same problem I always get...the rubbing on the inside of the knees caused the colliding creases to saw through, creating some holes. I called Kim and he said bring 'em in and I'll fix them, it's a known issue. He turned them inside out and applied a bunch more tape at no charge. But, after a few more weeks, I got the same problem just outside the width of the extra seam tape. I'm sure he would have fixed them again, but St. Helens is such a far drive to continue dealing with that, so I just took some large rubber patches and used Aqua Seal to apply them on the inside; that seems to have done the trick now for a couple months.

They are non-breathable and sure enough, they become a sauna in warmer weather. I just suck it up and deal with that 'cause I'm tough that way :)

This is my first experience with an integrated boot and I'm liking the ease/quickness of donning/removal. I also like the Boggs because they are a smooth rubber boot on the outside that doesn't disintegrate like my other boots eventually did. The other nice thing is I no longer have to worry about all the hiking I do causing holes to wear through the bottom of a neoprene bootie; that is another problem I've had with stocking foot waders.

In short, the USIA are heavy and do get hot outside of winter. I still got friction holes around my knees fairly quickly, like every other wader I've tried. But I seem to have resolved that with rubber patches/seal on the inside for now. They have eliminated the other holes I used to get at the bottom of booties and the holes I used to get around the tops of the boots and the smooth rubber boots also eliminated the boot-falls-to-pieces problem. Oh, and the suspenders are not angled, intending to just go straight over the shoulder, but they slip off, so I just cross them at my back.

Besides the initial knee problem, the USIA have been OK for me. I really wish a design feature that has some sort of reinforced, slick material could wrap around the inside of the knee/leg of waders that would prevent the rough threads of the exterior fabric from acting like a saw (even the styles with no exterior seam on the inseam) when I walk because that has happened with every wader I've tried (2 styles of Redington, 2 styles of Hodgman, and USIA).
Suggestion.
Start riding horses and bow your legs out.

I'm around a lot of wading fishermen and I've never seen any cheap breathables (under $200) perform very well.
If I was on a tight budget I would go with Cabelas because they will warranty them to some extent.
Dryft waders seem to be new to market...couldn't find any unbiased reviews on them yet.

Simms, Dan Bailey, Redington are the ones I see most often.
Some Orvis and Patagonia.

I bought Simms Guideweights in 2000 for $365 and they're still in service.
They have worn out 2 pairs of boots.
I don't go charging through blackberry brambles with them, though.
Store waders hanging and out of sunlight...they like to sleep like bats.

Buy many times, cry many times.

Stocking foot wader tip:

To extend the life of your neoprene booties and make entry into the boot easier (especially when dry) use hiker's liner socks over the bootie.
I like REI Gobi liners (about $6.50). They're thin nylon, stretch well, wear like iron...navy in color.
You're placing a wear layer between your bootie and boot.

B
bigboy70
well went to sportmens wharehouse and ended up getting some caddis guide wrap something like that took them out sunday and worked great for now probably gunna buy a better set in a couple months ended up having to get a 2xl stout to get the room i needed for my torso so the legs are a bit long buy hey i wading in the for hours nice and comfy just gotta get better boots and a wading stick lol those woulda helped

S
stereowiz
Amazon has Redington Sonic Pro Zip front..My 1st zip front and love the easy on and quick access for relief. Retail $399 I got the XL $269.

B
BlueWater
Amazon has a few Redington models around $100. I have a set of Caddis Deluxe Two-Tone (that's someone's ideas of a selling point?) Breathables and Caddis' booties are a bit odd-sized. Talked to their CEO to try to find a size and - surprise, surprise - he didn't know a darned thing about fitting the waders. Had to drive inland to try them on and find the boots that fit, which was good for me because I got a "like new" pair for half price.

I don't have odd feet. Women don't faint and little children don't cry if they see me barefooted, but does anyone else notice that they need clown-sized shoes if they're Asian made, but more normal sizes if the shoes are made elsewhere? I wear a size 10 street shoe, but a 12.5 Nike (or Adidas or Fila or whatever). Caddis sizing is definitely more like Asian athletic shoes: a size 10 Caddis aint a size 11 in North America.

Otherwise, I haven't ripped them yet and the boots haven't ripped-off. I'm all baggy and saggy, but the booties fit.

B
bigboy70
Ran into similar prob had to get xxl sports to have enough room for my torso otherwise the idea went up to high for boots I got a pair of size 14 simms as I wear a 13 in boot haven't tried them yet but killer deal got caddis guide tough waders for 120 from apartments and the boots for 100 at fishermen ( only place that had my size)

C
ColoradoTroutMan
I realize this is an old thread but for anyone who might be new to this I have been using my Frogg Toggs and they are great.

D
DirectDrive
ColoradoTroutMan said:
I realize this is an old thread but for anyone who might be new to this I have been using my Frogg Toggs and they are great.

You're one of the few.
Many have reported unsatisfactory results with that brand.

M
mikeee2362
wozniasm said:
I just bought a breathable Caddis brand Guide model at Sportsmans for $140 that went on sale withing 30 days which dropped them to $120.
They have a pocket on the front for your hands and a zippered pocket, extra layer on the upper legs for brush protection and they have sizes in stout for short legged folks like myself.
Tried them twice and I like them. The only con I have is the belt that doesn't have loops to keep the belt attached when you take them OFF.

Below is a pic of them on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Caddis-Attrac...&qid=1372157811&sr=8-1&keywords=caddis+waders

I bought those exact ones at Fisherman's for $129. I think they are great. I would recommend them for the price.

W
wozniasm
I'm gpoing to give the Dryft brand a shot.
Have a pair on backorder and hope they show up soon!

S
steelhead_slayer
I'd love to hear how you like them

F
fishingduck
I bought a pair of $175 waders (brand unimportant) and after a few trips they leaked, seams started pulling apart. Wasn't covered under warranty they said. I am tough on my equipment not wanting a blackberry or maple-leaf bush to stop me from getting to that perfect hole. Bit the bullet and bought simms,American Made and a few months later I stepped into a hole ripping them right below the knee. Totally my fault but simms repaired them for free and got them back in my hands in under two weeks.

Don't go cheap, it will cost ya in the long run. Spend the extra $10 a month over a two year period ($240) and you will have a pair that will last you as long as your main-line.

W
wozniasm
steelhead_slayer said:
I'd love to hear how you like them

I'll report once I have them and get them baptized.

T
todd_brooks
Simms all the way, have had the same low end pair for right around three years leak free. Can't imagine going with another brand. I think mine were in the area of $200 bucks. And from what I've heard their customer service is top notch.

Walked through a pair of Dicks Field and Streams in a couple weeks before biting the bullet and spending a few more bucks for the Simms. Dicks brand had the same issue mentioned above with the seams wearing through one another at the knees. That's a good reason to be sure to get a pair that fits well without too much bagginess, so as to minimize the rubbing factor.

I've yet to do it but a person could get a lot more life out of their waders if you had a cheep set of neoprene's(Gumby's) for the cold winter months and saved their nice spendy breathables for the warmer months. Something else I'll try when I need to is the spray on membrane stuff, we've all seen the info commercials for. You know the one they make a boat out of a screen door with. According to Herzog it stays flexible so it doesn't peel after time like aquaseal and works great, plus its got a good shelf life. It would seem like it could be a good wear layer in the rub zones to.

Which is what I have in mind to do on my boots with shoe goo. Seems like it would work wonders on rivers like the sandy that just straight eat !@#% up.