Tuna trip out of Garibaldi 7/28/12

S
seanandrenee
My dad, girlfriend (her first tuna trip), good friend and I went out for Tuna on Saturday with Terry Luckett. The fishing was spotty, we came home with 10 fish, largest being between 30-35 pounds. We were a bit disappointed by the numbers of fish based on reports earlier in the week but all of the boats on the water were having similar results. The fish were out there early and a lot were jumping, they just did not seem very hungry and scratch fishing seemed to rule the day. The fish we caught had empty stomachs so not sure why the bite was off. The water was also really warm in 64-65 degree range in a lot of places. We went out to a max of about 25-30 miles and did not come across any blue water, although we did hear of blue water out 50 miles, but the bite there was off also. There were a lot of boats on the water! We got our first three fish on Terry’s homemade spreader bars with various jets and bubblers that contained orange, red, green and white as trailers. We also tried throwing Point Wilson Anchovy jigs and cut bait with a fish on line and did not get any hits. We did get one hook up on a plain cedar plug with clear and silver skirt and black and purple feathers but the fish swam across lines and cut it off. The rest of the fish were caught on silver and blue or clear and yellow Rapala X-Rap Magnum 20, behind an 8 oz banana weight to bring them deeper. All and all a beautiful day on the water with mixed sun and clouds and pretty calm seas. I will try to post pictures this evening when back home with the camera.

Sean

S
seanandrenee
Beautiful ride out with the sunrise! Gear ready to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
O
OnTheFly
Maybe not the bounty you wanted but it sure looked like fun! Thanks for the pictures and the report!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Nice post. Good pictures and boy that water conditions sure look great. Nothing like a nice flat day on the ocean!

J
JeannaJigs
Yum