Trout flies for a first-timer

T
Tinker
Spydeyrch said:
Naa, I'm good with the kidney man. :D Good luck out there dude!!

-Spydey

Not even a fishing trip? Crushed I am! Crushed! :D

Thanks for all your help, and happy fishing.

H
Herefishyfishy
Fished the Deschutes this weekend and had a blast! Beadhead copper johns and hares ear nymphs were getting attacked by everything including a huge carp! I used a stonefly with a nymph tyed to the stonefly hook with about 2' of 5x and both were getting hit but mostly the nymphs.

H
HootYeah
Mega prince, aka the slay all. Fished with a dropper is nearly unstoppable...
2367443933_63d279c346.jpg

T
Tinker
Herefishyfishy said:
Fished the Deschutes this weekend and had a blast! Beadhead copper johns and hares ear nymphs were getting attacked by everything including a huge carp! I used a stonefly with a nymph tyed to the stonefly hook with about 2' of 5x and both were getting hit but mostly the nymphs.

Congratulations! Excellent news... and I get to hear about a successful technique! Thank you.

S
Spydeyrch
HootYeah said:
Mega prince, aka the slay all. Fished with a dropper is nearly unstoppable...
2367443933_63d279c346.jpg

Love that fly man!!! Great fly!! I don't leave home without it .... if I am going fishing. :D

-Spydey

T
Tinker
Spydeyrch said:
Love that fly man!!! Great fly!! I don't leave home without it .... if I am going fishing. :D

-Spydey

Where's it on the treasured list, Spydey? Did I miss it? Please, please, please don't tell us you were short-listing a first-timer looking for guidance! Say it ain't so, Spydey!

:D

I can find it with white rubber legs. Whee's you find it with those legs?

S
Spydeyrch
Tinker said:
Where's it on the treasured list, Spydey? Did I miss it? Please, please, please don't tell us you were short-listing a first-timer looking for guidance! Say it ain't so, Spydey!

:D

Sorry man, I had to keep it off of the list. A single kidney will only get you soo much!!! :lol: Now maybe a new fly rod might make me spill the beans....... just maybe ........ :think: ........ :lol:

Sorry, there are a TON of flies out there and so many of them are so very similar to the others. The list that I shared was just for generic flies that you will find anywhere. If you want to start diving into different flies, like the possie bugger, prince of darkness, mega prince, crystal stimi-triple-decker-flashback-rubberlegged-pole-dancing-salmonfly floosy (yes "floosy" not "flossy") that is for a different discussion with different people cause I really don't know too much about anything above the generic flies. :D I can name a few, but don't' really pay too much attention.

Have fun and good luck! :D

-Spydey

T
Tinker
Spydeyrch said:
Sorry man, I had to keep it off of the list. A single kidney will only get you soo much!!! :lol: Now maybe a new fly rod might make me spill the beans....... just maybe ........ :think: ........ :lol:

No problemo, dude. You have set me on the path of the righteous, and it's appreciated. I have a box of flies I can't even name, but they sure are pretty-lookin'

Started scouting this morning. Getting ready to have some fun.

H
HootYeah
Tinker said:

You can find them at the Caddis fly here in Eugene. Fish a very small 'white miller soft hackle' about a foot to a foot and a half behind the mega prince. I've found that if you use a thicker than usual line to join the two you wont tangle as much and still slay them! Get 'em!

T
Tinker
HootYeah said:
You can find them at the Caddis fly here in Eugene. Fish a very small 'white miller soft hackle' about a foot to a foot and a half behind the mega prince. I've found that if you use a thicker than usual line to join the two you wont tangle as much and still slay them! Get 'em!

Thanks!

T
Tinker
Went out the first time the other day, armed with Spydey's flies and all the other great suggestions. Got three to take the flies, but caught none of them. Set too hard the first time and took the fly away from the fish. Forgot to try to catch the second one when my left hand refused to haul the line and it swam away giggling at me. Don't know what happened to the third, but it was there and then it wasn't.

Thanks to all'a'y'all.

F
flocaster
Glad to hear you're solidly on the road to success. It's a lot of fun, isn't it?

T
Tinker
flocaster said:
Glad to hear you're solidly on the road to success. It's a lot of fun, isn't it?

So far, it's all been good. Been much too windy for me all this past week, and can't wait for the next calm morning. All that spinning gear lying around, and I'm waiting for low winds? Oh my.

M
MattZ
Don't wait for low wind, just learn to cast short and crisp in wind. the thing about fly fishing is you don't have to cast very far to catch fish. Just practice casting in wind as well. You will be better off for it. shorten your leader to 9 ft, use a nymph, get your timing right, don't go too far back on your back cast, nice and crisp on the forward cast. punch it. You should be able to hit 20 ft, and that's more than enough to catch a fish.

good luck out there

H
HootYeah
With the way rivers bend you can always find sections where the wind is blowing upstream. Use the river to carry your life down stream as you mend the line then use the wind to get it back upstream. Like a dream~