Trout flies for a first-timer

T
Tinker
The season opens down in the SW on May 25th, and it'll be my first time trying to fly fish. Going thrugh my checklist: line, leader, tippets, fancy fanny pack, waders, and "Duh!" Flies! I need flies!

I asked around and can't find many (any) known fly fishers to speak with. I don't think there's a fly shop nearby to visit and ask for suggestions.

So...

What are some of the generic or attractor patterns that might work on the small coastal rivers, like the Elk or the Sixes, down here?

Are there specific patterns I should try out?

What hook sizes should I be using?

How many of each fly should I have on hand?

Are the flies I can get at the Bi-Mart generally okay, or should I look to mail-order?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

troutdude
troutdude
Woolly Buggers, and Teeney Nymphs, is sizes 6 - 10, in colors Olive Green, black, and brown, some with bead heads, and some without.

T
Tinker
Thank you! May all your generations be blessed with plentiful fish!

S
Spydeyrch
I'm making you a list and will provide a 2 sites that I mail-order from. There is a third BigSteel told me about but I can't remember what it is right now.

List to come soon. :D

-Spydey

T
Tinker
Very kind of you.

I
igquick
We are beginner fly fishermen, but we were able to catch a bunch using a small yellow caddis fly (I thought it was a small bee). Its easy to see in the water for a beginer like me

D
DYJ
Spydeyrch said:
I'm making you a list and will provide a 2 sites that I mail-order from. There is a third BigSteel told me about but I can't remember what it is right now.

List to come soon. :D

-Spydey

Are you gonna post this or PM him? I'm also curious.

I am gettin good at my cast and I caught my first trout on the fly last weekend, but I know I should be catching more where I am fishing. I was giving a fly box from my grandfather inlaw that has a good selection but I have no idea where to start, except I try to pick something the same size as the bugs I see...

S
Spydeyrch
DYJ said:
Are you gonna post this or PM him? I'm also curious.

I am going to post it here.

Please see the list below. Please note that these are just basic flies, nothing fancy. They work fine. I have caught hundreds of fish on these flies. You don't have to get every single one that I list below. It is just a good starting list that covers your bases in a general sense. Certain waters require specific tweaks to the fly to have it work and catch fish. But these should get you going.

The numbers that follow the fly pattern is not the amount of that certain fly that you need, no. It is the size of that certain pattern. Also, you don't have to get every size mentioned. For example, if a certain pattern shows 10 - 24 after the pattern name, you don't have to get sizes 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, and 24. There really isn't that much of a difference between a number/size and the next one up or down. So, I usually start with a size, get at least 2 of that size, and then skip the next size up. So using the example I just gave, I would get sizes 10, 14, 18, and 22. If you think you will need the smaller sizes in place of the larger sizes, work backwards: 24, 20, 16, and 12. I usually get at least 2 of every fly that I purchase, if not more.

Many nymphs have non-bead head, bead head, non-flash back, flash back, bead head with flash back, and then different colors of those different combinations. You can really mix and match and it starts to add up very quickly! :shock: You don't need one of each of every combination. Just get a well rounded set and you should be fine.

The sites that I usually buy my flys from are:

Stream Flies - Phil is a member here on OFF (I don't remember his membership/screen name) and sometimes posts discount codes for when you purchase from his site. Free shipping on orders over $20. The flies are good quality and I find are the cheapest flies online. I believe that the business is located in Bend but I could be wrong about that. They also have some sweet fly boxes and are good quality and good prices!! Fast shipping. If I order on a Tuesday, I normally get it Thursday or Friday for some great weekend fishing. I also like the little containers the flies come in. You can use them for the flies or other little things. Very handy.

Big Y Fly - Good fly choice. Also has accessories and other items besides just flies. A little more $$ than Stream Flies but not too much. Also, the more flies you purchase the cheaper they get. :dance: Local business based out of Maupin.

I also purchase my files from Bi-Mart and Dick's Sporting Goods store.

I hope that helps man. Good luck, enjoy the experieince, and don't get too addicted like me and many many many others. And if you do, there is hope. As one OFF member often says: There is a 12 step program for us fly fishing addicts. It starts with the first few steps going toward the river!!! hahahahaha :lol:

Here is the list:

Dries/Terrestrials:
Adams, 10 – 22
Beetle, 12 – 20
Foam Beetle, 8 – 18
Black Ant, 12 – 20
Flying Black Ant, 10 – 20
Parachute Adams, 12 – 20
Hi-Vis Parachute Adams, 12 – 20
BWO (Blue Wing Olive), 14 – 22
Parachute BWO, 14 – 22
Hi-Vis Parachute BWO, 14 – 22
Elk Hair Caddis: Tan, Green, Olive, Peacock, Yellow; 10 – 18
Humpy: Red, Green, Yellow; 8 – 18
Stimulator: Yellow, Tan, Olive, Orange; 6 – 16

Nymphs:
Brassie, 14 – 22
Brassie Bead Head, 14 – 22
Copper John, 12 -22
Copper John Bead Head: Red, Chartreuse, Black; 12 – 22
Copper John Bead Head Rubber Legs: Green, Copper; 12 – 22
Disco Midge: White, Pink; 18 – 28
Hare’s Ear: Regular, Dark, Brown, Olive; 12 – 20
Hare’s Ear Bead Head: Regular, Dark, Gold Ribbed, Olive; 12 – 20
Hare’s Ear Flash Back: Regular, Dark; 12 – 20
Hare’s Ear Bead Head Flash Back: Regular, Dark; 12 – 20
Pheasant Tail: Regular, Black; 12 – 24
Pheasant Tail Flash Back, 12 – 24
Pheasant Tail Bead Head: Regular, Black; 12 – 24
Pheasant Tail Bead Head Flash Back, 12 – 24
Pheasant Tail Super Flash Back, 12 – 24
Prince Nymph, 10 – 22
Prince Nymph Bead Head, 10 – 22
Prince Nymph Rubber Legs, 10 – 22
Prince Nymph Bead Head Rubber Legs, 10 – 22
Stonefly: Brown, Golden, Black, Peacock; 8 – 14
Stonefly Bead Head: Brown, Golden, Black; 8 – 14
Zug Bug, 10 – 20
Zug Bug Bead Head, 10 – 20

Take care man.

-Spydey

Reactions: DYJ and Irishrover
Irishrover
Irishrover
Good job Spyderch.......

There are a couple of book out there that should help you a lot with regard to fly selection. One is "Flies of the Northwest". It has most of the patterns for this area and does a god job of breaking them down by bug group both dry and nymph ie mayflies, chironomids, caddisflies, stoneflies and so on. It is published by Amato publications. The second book "The Fly Fishing Manefesto" is a fun book that takes fly fishing to it's bare bones basics and is full of good info. It is not a high brow book at all, it's down right funny at times. I believe Amato also has that book. Also I believe there was a guy on this forum that sold flies, I just can't remember who it is right now.

Good luck!

Last edited:
T
Tinker
Spydey, dude! Your true reward will come in Heaven, but until then, I am unspeakably grateful. My God! I'll learn more just from your list than I could have learned in years. I'm near speechless - and as anyone who knows me will tell you, nothing ever shuts me up.

And thank you for posting The List in the forums so everyone can see it. Holy cow!

T
Tinker
Aw, gee, Spydey, I may have to take back my thanks and the offer of a kidney..! :)

Just started receiving the new flies and I don't have a way of keeping track of which one is which! I'm supposed to memorize every pattern? I don't have enough RAM or ROM to be able to remember all that.

Seriously, Stream Flies and Big Y Flies were a great recommendation, and especially for first-timers. Their on-line catalogues are more clear and much easier for me to navigate than any other online store I'd been browsing, listing the flies by their pattern and by their color. Even without your recommendations, it would be a great shopping experience.

Thanks, again.

S
Spydeyrch
Tinker said:
Aw, gee, Spydey, I may have to take back my thanks and the offer of a kidney..! :)

No problem, we'll just keep it on the back burner in our minds. I'll send you a little contract that keeps it open for if and when I need that kidney. Sound good? :D hahahahaha :lol:

Tinker said:
Just started receiving the new flies and I don't have a way of keeping track of which one is which! I'm supposed to memorize every pattern?

You could get a little compartment fly box and mark which are which. Something really easy to do for the nymphs: Does it have flash back? Does it have a bead head? Does it have rubber legs? Is it feather or fur? Does it have a white wing on it? That typically helps me out when trying to figure out what is what with nymphs. For dries ..... good luck man!!! That just takes time, practice, and using them frequently. :)

Tinker said:
I don't have enough RAM or ROM to be able to remember all that.

I can help you with that too. RAM = Random Access Memory. It can be written to and read from. ROM = Read Only Memory. It can only be read from and not written to. I work on computers for a hobby/side job. Desktops, sound systems, home servers, networking, remote access, gaming rigs, HTPC, etc. etc....... :D But it will cost you much more than the flies would!!! hahahahahaha :lol:

Tinker said:
Seriously, Stream Flies and Big Y Flies were great recommendations, and especially for first-timers. Their on-line catalogs are more clear and much easier for me to navigate than any other online store I'd been browsing, listing the flies by their pattern and by their color. Even without your recommendations, it would be a great shopping experience.

Thanks, again.

You are very welcome. Now get out there and throw some flies on the water ........ hopefully not all of them at once and hopefully attached to your tippet/leader/fly line/reel/rod. Don't just let them float down the river. hehehe :dance:

Take care and good luck.

-Spydey

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for the link to Big Y Fly Spydey. I placed an order Sunday evening and had it in the mail box Tuesday. can't wait to try them out.

M
MattZ
Save yourself a slew of time... thats way too many flies... this goes for everyone...

Here are the ones you need:
For lakes: wooly bugger or mohair leech. olive and black. size doesn't matter much, i like small flies like a 12 or 10
For lakes: blood worm or chironomid size 16 or 18. fish under an indicator or dry fly.
Dry Fly: parachute adams or other parachute dry fly. size 12 to 20
Dry Fly: CDC and elk, or elk hair caddis, although cdc and elk is superior. size 12 to 18
Emerger: Deer wing Emerger size 16 and 18
Emerger: Klinkhammer size 16 and 18
Nymph: Pheasant tail variations sizes 12-20
Nymph: hare's ear variations 12-20

Thats all. you will catch anywhere. If you must, toss in an ant, a beetle, and a stimulator or hopper pattern. but i have never had to use an ant, as other flies can be trimmed into something close enough.
You can fish all pattern in lakes or rivers.

Reactions: DYJ
M
MattZ
I'd also tie you some flies if you want to PM me...

T
Tinker
MattZ said:
Save yourself a slew of time... thats way too many flies... this goes for everyone...

But MattZ, if I'm not overloaded with gear that I can't possibly know the name of or ever remember how or when to use it, how can I feel like a New Fly Fisher? :D

Thank you for posting a shorter list of can-do patterns. I expect the selections I made from Spydeyrch's list won't last long in my hands, on unknown rivers. Those I ordered were all roughly the same size, and some patterns on both your list and Spydey's list weren't available at the stores...

I appreciate the offer of a few personally-tied flies. Can I take you up on that offer after the season opens and I start losing the flies I have now? I promised The Boss that I wouldn't start tying my own flies and leaving bits of feather and string all over her kitchen, and I'm grateful indeed to find someone who would offer a few flies every so often.

Thanks!

Last edited:
M
MattZ
the offer stands any time... I'd say lets go fishing, but I'm not sure we are too close.

T
Tinker
MattZ said:
the offer stands any time... I'd say lets go fishing, but I'm not sure we are too close.

Okay, I'm a fishtitute. I have a few hand-tied flies and an offer to go fishing on the table. Anyone want to raise the offer? Spydey? Or are you happy with the kidney I promised..?

Thanks, MattZ. I appreciate both offers, but for your personal safety, I need to learn to cast without hooking my ear, your hat, and God knows what else. Once I'm no longer listed as an OSHA hazard, I'd like to take you up on the offer to fish. Have rod, will travel!

;)

Last edited:
T
Tinker
igquick said:
We are beginner fly fishermen, but we were able to catch a bunch using a small yellow caddis fly (I thought it was a small bee). Its easy to see in the water for a beginer like me

Sorry I'm late acknowledging your tip. What size caddis (caddii?) were you using?

And thanks, every little fly helps.

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
Tinker said:
Okay, I'm a fishtitute. I have a few hand-tied flies and an offer to go fishing on the table. Anyone want to raise the offer? Spydey? Or are you happy with the kidney I promised..?

Thanks, MattZ. I appreciate both offers, but for your personal safety, I need to learn to cast without hooking my ear, your hat, and God knows what else. Once I'm no longer listed as an OSHA hazard, I'd like to take you up on the offer to fish. Have rod, will travel!

;)

Naa, I'm good with the kidney man. :D Good luck out there dude!!

-Spydey