M
Mike123
halibuthitman said:
well... its as acurate as Fox News! :lol::lol::lol::D:lol:;):

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

T
TTFishon
kirkster said:
Whatever dude, Search whatever site is reliable but steelhead are rainbow trout. Born in fresh water, live there life in salt water, and return to fresh water to spawn. This info has been around before wikipedia or even computers all together. any how you all have fun with this I'm gonna go catch some fish:lol:

You are correct on that one. All the info I have read on this subject is the same. One of these days scientists will figure out the difference. Hope you catch some fish.

T
troutmasta
OnTheFly said:
And I thought you would'a picked the Chuck Norris thread!:lol:

I love the chuck thread. Its defenetly a steelie. If it has the ability to go to the ocean and back and is over twenty in. its a steelie. If you kept that fish (if it wasn't a nate) and were walking out with it not on your tag and got stopped by OSP you would be up a certin creek without a paddle.:D

T
TTFishon
halibuthitman said:
sooooo what river is it? you seem to be eluding that..... I understand though if its priveleged info.

I am eluding as to what river. I will say it's in the Eugene/Springfield area.

M
Mike123
TTFishon said:
I am eluding as to what river. I will say it's in the Eugene/Springfield area.

That gave it away hehe... ;)

T
TTFishon
Mike123 said:
That gave it away hehe... ;)

I know what river I'd think it was. I know that as soon as my new reel gets here in the mail I'm getting my tag and will be hitting this river to see what I can get.

kirkster
kirkster
WOW:lol::lol::lol: I can't believe this thread is still going.:rolleyes:

M
metalfisher76
kirkster said:
WOW:lol::lol::lol: I can't believe this thread is still going.:rolleyes:

I was very surprised to see all the pages on this when I got up. This is an argument that has been going on for decades. Just had it on another site last year. I just go by the book these days. Steel. Go catch some!

D
dominicleckie
Steelhead are an anadromous strain of rainbow trout. That is, they spend most of there life in the ocean or in the Great Lakes. Steelhead and rainbow trout look different, grow differently, and one heads off to sea while the other never leaves home. The definition of a steelhead is a rainbow trout that ventures to salt water and returns to fresh water to spawn.

M
metalfisher76
derrr
]2yrsoldderr

T
troutramp
Lots of people are ready to dismiss the idea that a rainbow trout and a steelhead are the same fish. "Its impossible one goes to the ocean and comes back to spawn as a monster of a fish that is tricky to catch and trickier yet to land". (true). The other ( a rainbow) never goes to the ocean and lives its life eating caddis ect, in a river and does not grow to lengths exceeding 20 inches (also mostly true).
However if you live in a relm of possabilities consider this. Lets say there is a catostrophic event in the ocean that kills off a considerable amount of fish including steelhead, and there are no steelhead to come up into the rivers to spawn. What then? I argue that perhaps some of the resident rainbows left in a stream might just find thier way to the ocean and over time you have ocean run rainbows or steelhead.
Now consider the opposite of that scenario. A more likely one . Lets say there is a catostrophic event in a river that kills all of the resident rainbows. Well then the steelhead could repopulate the stream because they were out to sea at the time of the catastrophic event?

T
TTFishon
We know steelhead can live in fresh water but can a rainbow live in salt water?

M
Mad dog
We have sea run Cutthroat, Patagonia has sea run Browns, Maine even has sea run Brookies! I think rainbows could adapt!!!

Besides....how different are they?

P
plumb2fish
Mad dog said:
We have sea run Cutthroat, Patagonia has sea run Browns, Maine even has sea run Brookies! I think rainbows could adapt!!!

Besides....how different are they?

Exactly, they are the same fish. In fact they say that the health of the steelhead run in a given stream is dependant upon the health of the native rainbows. Up to 40% of steelhead spawn with native rainbows at times in some systems...

I guess I should have looked at mad dogs link

Last edited:
Reactions: beaverfan
P
plumb2fish
TTFishon said:
Wow! That sure is a lot of spots.
I would guess this to be a Leopard Rainbow and not a steelhead at all

P
plumb2fish
kirkster said:
This is a native steelhead from the link I posted earlier look at all these spots:lol: 799px-SteelheadRainbowTrout.jpg

Leopard Rainbow? Also looks max clipped

Last edited:
H
hookbait
Looks like a Cuttie to me. White tips on ventral fins, spots extending well below the lateral line. Mouth extends abit past the eye. Possibly a hybrid cut-bow?

T
TTFishon
It's funny, I started this thread 2 years ago and I have since learned not to start threads like this. Now that I think about it though. It makes perfectly good since that in the event of a disaster that if a bunch of rainbows were forced to live in the ocean that they would adapt and naturally return to any freshwater stream to spawn. That's what bows do anyway in a lake so why not the ocean too?

T
Thuggin4Life
So why did the rainbow decide to go to sea in the first place???

T
troutmasta
Guess im a little late but......steelhead, river, duh.