Spin fishing for steelhead

T
Team CF
I caught plenty of Coho on spinners but am not sure of the technigue to use on Steelhead. I will be from the bank mostly from time to time in my pontoon. Do you just cast and reel slowly across the current?

R
RunWithSasquatch
You need to target some of the classic runs of water that steely lay in. But where the spinner really shines is hit and run on pocket water, and really cover the river!

Its a good way to see a lot of river, and thats what ups your chance on getting hit!

troutdude
troutdude
Go "low n' slow" and in the type of water Sasquatch suggested. The rule of thumb is: if you don't lose a spinner or two on each outing...you aren't fishing them deeply or slowly enough to get down to the fish. It is also a huge asset, to use the fan casting approach/technique.

brandon4455
brandon4455
put simple basically drift fish the spinner but keep it fast enough to have the blade spinning and make sure your targeting the right water

S
SLEDME
When possible toss your spinner upstream and retrieve it at a speed that is just slightly faster than the current.Once your spinner gets below you let it swing down stream and dont be in a hurry to get the next cast off.Let your spinner hang at the end for a few seconds.For steelhead silver blades on bright days with clear water,gold plate on darker days stained water. Red hooks are also a plus.

Last edited:
T
Team CF
Ok I think I see. I have some more rods and stuff this year so I can't really give spin fishing a shot. I feel like it would be a great way to cover water fast. What are more preferred sizes? Larger or Smaller?

R
RunWithSasquatch

S
SLEDME
Blade size is determined by water speed so.....size 4 or 5 for medium to slow flows,size three for faster flows.10 lb minimum line with a maximum of 12 lb will allow your spinners to sink and work properly.

F
flipper
Don't be too shy...throw out a spoon or two!

I'm almost convinced I will be exclusively spoon fishing for steelhead this winter :D

troutdude
troutdude
I cannot agree more, with using Little Cleo spoons/wobblers. I have been an avid spinner user, since Jed Davis first published his book in the early 80's. However, I discovered the Little Cleo about 5 years ago--and I'm hooked!!! Little Cleo's are great for streams, or for stillwater (either casting or trolling). Not only have they caught tons o' fish...they also work on multiple species (even Kokanee)!

My tackle kits always include several Little Cleo's, in various sized and colors.

BTW, do NOT overlook the value of all black spinners (black body, blade, and black tubing over the hook shank). They are perfect on cloudy/overcast days and/or in murky/dark water. You can find all of those details--and make your own spinners--by reading Jed's book.

F
flipper
:clap:

Irishrover
Irishrover
There are a couple of good fishing book that will help you out a lot with sinners and spoons........

#1 Spinner Fishing for Steelhead and Trout by Jed Davis

#2 Spoon fishing for Steelhead by Bill Herzog

You can't go wrong with either book. They are writen by fishermen for fishermen.;)

T
Team CF
Cool thanks I will look into them. I am sure I can find them here in town.

troutdude
troutdude
Team CF said:
Cool thanks I will look into them. I am sure I can find them here in town.

Support local shops if you can.

But, if you can't find those books locally, you can probably find them at Amazon or eBay. I personally recommend the 1st, or 2nd, Edition of Jed's book. They have color plates, that are left out of later editions.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Bi Mart $15.96 for Spinner Fishing $11.96 for Spoon fishing. Of course that if they have them in stock.

N
nwkiller
spinner fishing for steelhead equals lost lures....like most people are saying, you have to dig very deep for these fish....seams and rocks are very good holding spots...I like to toss my lure up river, and work at slowly back down....the lure will spin and flop around instegating a strike....but running lures in these spots will result in many snags.....learn to feel the bottom, when you do get a fish, that will tell you where the rest might be......my favorite spinners for steelies are blue foxes in the blue and the purple
2011-05-17_10-26-50_558.jpg

N
nwkiller
TIP: cabelas has some blue fox replicas that are half the price and catch just as many fish

T
Team CF
Nice I am glad for all the info I will pick up the spinner book for sure. I am gonna give it a good shot I live 15 minutes from the North, South and Main Umpqua. I have yet to catch a winter steelhead so hoping this winter to connect. Just gotta wait for the fish to get here.

H
halibuthitman
A very good roseburg n. umpqua fisherman told me that the north fishes very poorly with spinners and spoons... it only took me about 30 hours to prove him right, switched to my flyrod the next time I went down and hooked up about 7 times... I think that river is a little cold for hardware, just an opinion though-