Smoking fish!!

T
TJR_84
I starting to smoke fish i know its bad for my health but its become a habit. Just wondering what other use as a brine? I have been test trout that i gut hook.I plan on getting some sturgeon this year too and want some good tips on smoking different fish.

B
BlackBass
I keep my brine very simple with a dry brine consisting on 2 cups dark brown sugar 2 cups white sugar and 1/2 cup kosher non iodized sea salt. Mix this well and sprinkle over your fish evenly. Brine for 12 -24 hours with the longer brine time you will need to rinse each piece of fish. Set out on racks to air dry for 1 -2 hours . I just took some Ocean coho and Chinook out and will be putting it in the smoker soon. I think keeping it simple is far better in terms of quality finished product. Start with the very best piece of fish you can , if you want a great final product worthy of friends , family , and neighbors approval :)>>>

H
hunt-fish-trap
soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and brown sugar. smoke over apple or cherry chips until done.
or you can use a dehydrator

D
DYJ
I tried Long_shots recipe and will never need another. I smoke mine on a Treager and use Hickory, apple and cherry for the best results. Mix brine and let it cool for about 20 minutes in fridge. Then add fish, I cut and debone mine so it's in nice 1x2.5 inch sizes. Leave it in the brine for 24 hours, smoke till done and enjoy. I've done fish and beef jerky with this bring, and it's perfect. We don't care for real salty brines so if you do enjoy the salt this may not be for you. I also added a 1/4 cup Ceyyene to the Beef Jerky for a sweet garlic tasting jerky with a bit of a kick.

1 cup brown sugar
3 tblsp garlic salt
1 or 2 tblsp soy sauce
1 tblsp minced garlic
1 tblsp black pepper
1 cup boiling water

T
The Nothing
Smoking salmon is just so hard on the lungs, and the diaphram to keep it lit for that matter...

My smoked salmon:
cut fillet into 3" wide portions.
1# dark brown sugar
3T sea salt
Cover pieces thoroughly and brine for 3 days, mixing daily.
smoke 6 hours at 150-160 with apple and hickory

Salmon Jerky
cut salmon into strips just about 1/4" thick and 3" long
2c soy sauce
2c clover honey (or grade B maple syrup)
1/2c brown sugar
brine for 3 days, stirring daily.
smoke at 160-170 for 5 hours with apple and hickory.

both are pretty plain because salmon is fine on its own and you don't need to over flavor it.