Scent for steelhead

H
halibuthitman
Ive hooked 14 steelhead in 2 days on a small round piece of injection molded plastic with a hole drilled through it.. the only scent I used was nicotine smoke... { to avoid confusion, I HAVE hooked 14 fish in two days... but not in the LAST two days.. just clearing that up}

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
Would that be Marlboro or American Spirit scent?

P
plumb2fish
One of these days I'm gonna have to break down and start using heavibeads.....

H
halibuthitman
plumb2fish said:
One of these days I'm gonna have to break down and start using heavibeads.....

It will sure make your hands smell better!! ;)

jhop111
jhop111
nonsense, keep the hevi beads in a half full can of skoal. Wintergreen for winters and straight long cut for summers.

P
plumb2fish
jhop111 said:
nonsense, keep the hevi beads in a half full can of skoal. Wintergreen for winters and straight long cut for summers.

Is Coppenhagen Wintergreen ok for the winters, I can't handle Skoal.....

P
plumb2fish
halibuthitman said:
It will sure make your hands smell better!! ;)

But I LOVE the smell of Craw/Anise, reminds me of dead fish....

S
steelhead_stalkers
I don't think heavi beads are made from plastic. :D

H
halibuthitman
steelhead_stalkers said:
I don't think heavi beads are made from plastic. :D

most of my beads are plastic, cheap... cheap plastic, like 100 beads for $3.00. Heavy beads are expensive but certainly rock in heavy water or under a float on a pin rod.. they make killer lure body weights as well- come on Chad.. when you gonna offer us some u.v beads? :D:peace: I have had about 3 friends catch around 20 steel on your micro jigs this year, why not dive into the bead market, theres always a fine bead hatch going on somewhere!

S
steelhead_stalkers
I love using beads. Maybe in the future we will look at beads but I am to busy trying to keep up with yarn, worms and jigs, not to mention rods. :lol: This year I am going to be fishing more tiny, tiny egg patterns as I had a ton of luck with them late last winter. On a lot of days they even outfished beads for me. Although I still have a small bead setup that I run through every spot. Last year my records show that my #1 producer was 3 inch worm (shrimp pink), second was beads, third was 3 inch worm (steelhead orange), fourth was tiny, egg patterns and then a micro jig (nightmare). The egg patters came through late with about 30 steelhead the last week of the season! Hoping for good winter.

PS. If you have any info on how to get into the bead market let me know. And no, I don't want to go to China and find a craft bead distributor (heavi beads). :D If we do chose to make beads in the future we will make everything here in house like the rest of our products.

D
DrTheopolis
n8r1 said:
if you decide to put some scent on your spinners, don't use the Vaseline consistency stuff. It makes the spinner blade and body sticky and keeps your blade from spinning like it should.

I just dip the hook itself in the goo, and am careful not to get it on the body or blade. I don't like the feel of even the oil on the blade.

And I'm happy using Smelly Jelly craw/anise for everything, year round. Always had good luck with it.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
DrTheopolis said:
I just dip the hook itself in the goo, and am careful not to get it on the body or blade. I don't like the feel of even the oil on the blade.

x2, I dip just the body/hook/hoochie of spinners, not the blade. Short baby bottles from the Dollar Store have a wide mouth, I move the scent/goop to one of those to make it easy to dip lures and keep the blades clean...

D
DrTheopolis
Since I'm using the thick/Vaseline stuff (Smelly Jelly, aka "the schmellah"), I don't want it anywhere near the body of the spinner.

I'll dip the top half of my jig head in it too. IMO, Schmellah or other thick, jelly type scents are the only thing to use on marabou jigs, since getting anything oily on the feathers is bad.

I also like jelly to put on the belly of plugs (but will also put liquid oil around the eye). I know it's been known to help, but I just can't cotton to bait-wrapping plugs. Just too much work for my lazy keister. For me, one of the joys of hardware fishing is not having to mess with the lure or stinky bait.

O
OnTheDrop
I catch almost every steelhead without scent...Unless i'm plunking in some dirty a** water and that's maybe two days a winter...

Present your offering correctly and you won't need scent...

-My 2 cents

D
DrTheopolis
SteelmonKiller20 said:
I catch almost every steelhead without scent...Unless i'm plunking in some dirty a** water and that's maybe two days a winter...

Present your offering correctly and you won't need scent...

-My 2 cents

Yes and no.

Sometimes, when I've beaten bigger runs to death when I was confident there was fish there (I'm generally a stick-and-move guy, but we all stay at that one hole when we've got that fishy feeling, right?), after forgetting or foregoing scent, I've added it, then hooked up shortly thereafter. I've been doing my deal, similar techniques, right or wrong, for a long time now, and it's happened enough that I can no longer chalk it up as coincidence. I smoke (often like a chimney on a cold day), so maybe that offsets it, but since fish react to scent, I doubt it can hurt.

Most of the successful steelie fishermen I know (most more successful than I, a couple who guise) are pretty firm believers in scent, although I'll agree presentation is by far the most important thing.

I'm also a firm believer in going with what works for you, and if you catch, you'd be a fool to change anything based upon anything I, or anyone else here says.

O
OnTheDrop
I do think scent can help for steelhead... But, I think it's a confidence thing too.

This pretty girl responded nicely to hot tamale, funyun and Copenhagen scent covered 10mm bead yesterday ;)... 1111.jpg

O
OnTheDrop
Haha. Get yourself some Funyuns boys!

P
plumb2fish
Im sure it was the coppenhagen....

S
steelhead_stalkers
Cheddar jalapeno Cheetos. Guaranteed to catch you fish!

B
bigboy70
My personal favorite it pb and j