Santiam river

S
S3AN
Does anybody know any hatchery steelhead or salmon fishing spots for the South santiam river?

troutdude
troutdude
I haven't fished that river in many years. Too much pressure, IMO, and not enough fish--for the Springers and Summers. Fall and Winter fish runs are pretty much non-existent. So I'd not recommend any trips until mid-May for Springers, with the Summers following behind them. An average of 4,000 spring Chinook, 4,700 summer steelhead, and 670 winter steelhead are collected annually.

But if you want to go any way...

The South Santiam River is easily accessible for bank angling just below Foster Dam on both the north and south banks, near the confluence of Wiley Creek, at Camp Koinonia off North River Drive, at Northside Park in town, and at Pleasant Valley Bridge on the west end of Sweet Home.

FYI, here are the 2023 reg's:

Santiam River, South Fork
The following apply to open sections below: *
• Open for hatchery trout May 22 – Oct 31, 5
hatchery trout per day, no minimum length.
• Open all year for hatchery steelhead.
• Open for wild steelhead Jul 1 - Aug 31.
• Open for hatchery Chinook salmon Jan 1 -
Aug 31 and Oct 15 - Dec 31.
• Use of bait allowed Apr 22 - Oct 31.

* Mouth to Grant St Bridge in Lebanon
• Open all year for coho salmon.

* Grant St Bridge in Lebanon to Waterloo
Rd Bridge
• Open for coho salmon Jan 1 - Aug 31 and
Oct 15 - Dec 31

* Waterloo Rd Bridge to 200 ft above
Waterloo Falls
• Gear Restriction: Angling restricted to
fly fishing or bobber fishing (See Salmon/
Steelhead Bobber Fishing Rule pg 18).

* 200 ft above Waterloo Falls to Foster Dam
• Open for coho salmon Jan 1 - Aug 31 and
Oct 15 - Dec 31.
• Closed from Foster Dam downstream
approx. 1/4 mi to ODFW markers.

S
S3AN
Do you know any other good rivers open for steelhead/salmon less then a hour away from albany

S
Snopro
Yaquina, Siletz, Alsea.

Reactions: troutdude
S
S3AN
Do you know where on the Alsea or Siletz to fish?
Or any other rivers

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. Nooks and Steel are largely a coastal stream phenomenon, at this time of the year. Try Five Rivers area on the Alsea. Or Moonshine Park, and farther up the gorge, on the Siletz. But they are likely a bit more than an hour away from Albany. With the Alsea probably being the farthest away. Here are more spots.

1700067468023.jpeg

Reactions: S3AN
S
S3AN
troutdude said:
Yep. Nooks and Steel are largely a coastal stream phenomenon, at this time of the year. Try Five Rivers area on the Alsea. Or Moonshine Park, and farther up the gorge, on the Siletz. But they are likely a bit more than an hour away from Albany. With the Alsea probably being the farthest away. Here are more spots.

View attachment 640346
Alright thanks for your help I will try bobber with a big thanks!

S
S3AN
troutdude said:

View attachment 640346
But If there's ever a closer spot to Albany please let me know thanks

troutdude
troutdude
S3AN said:
But If there's ever a closer spot to Albany please let me know thanks
There is no salmon or steelhead fishing any closer; at this time of year. All such fishing happens on the coast for now. It's spring and summer runs that happen on the Santiam River.

S
S3AN
troutdude said:
There is no salmon or steelhead fishing any closer; at this time of year. All such fishing happens on the coast for now. It's spring and summer runs that happen on the Santiam River.
Alright I'm going to Philippines in January so I won't be able to fish in spring or summer

• Sad
F
Fred
troutdude said:
isn't there a small wild coho fishery in the Santiam system?

S
S3AN
here's the video on the north santiam