Salty dawg.

T
troutmasta
Havent had a second to hit the water yet this year. Well the world didn't end in 2012 so I figured Id better keep going to school and work toward the goal of a dream carrrier. That being said this has been quite the term and my fishing has suffered.
Now let me bring you up to speed.....
This morning I woke up in Yachats OR. The wife and I played hookie and took OFF to the beach yesterday. Found a nice place to stay at, Overleaf Lodge. Great place nice people. Id reccomened it.
Any way as we were driving back up 101...and... I got the Itch.
I had to get a line wet. The only rod I had was a beast rod in the back that this old guy gave me with an Abu Garcia from th 80's still in the back cause I never took it out to use it for anything.
So, stopped and got some $2.87 150yrds 20 pound crap and strung it up. Spent the BEST $33.00 I spend every year, got my license to kill, and was OFF to hit the jetty.
I bought 2, 2oz jig headed hooks, and 1, 4 oz.
Hiked down to the water with my wife and as she started with the candid photos I bombed the 2 oz setup out. The water was to much and It immediatly got shoved into the rocks and snagged.
No chance in hell of getting it OFF by jerking the rod OR me climbing down and cutting myself up while drowning trying save my $1.35 setup.
I hooked up the 4oz with w a 8" or 9" Dark Green w Red glitter rubber curly tail. Biggest Jig setup Ive ever used, but I kept thinkin of those Alaskin ling pics with 12 oz. jigs and 16" rubbers.
Cast out and Thump! you could feel it hit and hold on the bottom. So I started with a huge jigging motion, like 3 of 4 feet a time.
bounce once, bounce again, about the third bounce God connected with me and I felt the Zen of my life envelop me.
It was a bite.
BAM! FISH ON
I really wasn't expecting to catch anything and as I stard into the water hoppping it was a ling, My wife was literally telling me not to lose it:D. It ran under a rock for a sec, but I just kept pressure and it came out.
Big hook right through the lip and I could tell It was time to just pull it up before it got OFF.
Dragged it up took an eyeball for length. I thought 25"-26".
Confirmed. KIA.
Snagged my jig 2 casts later and that was it. Total of maybe 6 casts and got lucky.
Got home measured a tad over 24":)shock:close, legal is 22"), and some b-e-a-utiful meat.

The weather even got nice for a bit and we hit the beach for a stroll.
Great trip with an unexpected suprise.

It looks a little skinny for a ling cause its gutted in the pic.

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Sounds like the perfect trip! Nice fish, good weather and wife happy, but you gotta get out more often buddy! I mean Feb and you didn't have a lic yet??

LOL,

Y
Yogidabear
I think the rod is a bit light :) Nice ling

L
lilsalmon
Very nice!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Haha, you couldn't get that much satisfaction and entertainment at the movies for that kind of money. I would say it was well worth playing hooky. Nicely done!:clap:

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
nothing better than when the 'last minute, toss things together, use what you got, why not try" decision turns into a jackpot....kick ass.

B
billfisher
Good one! What time's dinner? Yummm

O
OnTheDrop
Been waiting for a post from ya Jeff...Great report. I need to get some ling action this year!

bass
bass
Great report!

jamisonace
jamisonace
It's about time we got a report from you:) And Eugene1 is right....It's February for goodness sake.

T
troutmasta
Thanks everybody.
Yogi- It was an 11' 20-50. :shock:

It was a great trip. My year has ben busy but I'm trying to get out more. If you know me you know I'm a salmon guy and springer season is coming. I will be posting!
Jamie come back north lets pull some plugs on the wilson this spring! Tanner you should come this time!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm in. Lets make sure it happens.

troutmasta said:
Thanks everybody.
Yogi- It was an 11' 20-50. :shock:

It was a great trip. My year has ben busy but I'm trying to get out more. If you know me you know I'm a salmon guy and springer season is coming. I will be posting!
Jamie come back north lets pull some plugs on the wilson this spring! Tanner you should come this time!

O
OnTheDrop
You know I'm there.