Pontoon fishing

F
Finneus Polebender
Wow bern has obviously figured out the best method by experience . Way cool the way you figured out the steering with the oars /motor fixed in straight deal that is awesome . Will be lookin for help from you this winter getting mine set up as I plan next year to drop the cash and register so I can hook both mine up for trollin !

T
Throbbit _Shane
Any of u use a anchor on your toons? I plan on going to Diamond lake soon and definitely should have one then. I probably could of used one today on selmac, was quite windy for about an hour.

Any advice on what i could/ should use for an anchor? thanks in advance !

F
Finneus Polebender
Throbbit _Shane said:
Any of u use a anchor on your toons? I plan on going to Diamond lake soon and definitely should have one then. I probably could of used one today on selmac, was quite windy for about an hour.

Any advice on what i could/ should use for an anchor? thanks in advance !

I have an after market scotty anchor system mounted to my back rack ,works great cost like 20 $ been using a 10 lb mushroom anchor on it . just coil up the line in one of my toon pockets.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
bernduffy said:
...Add my fish finder and its approaching the complexity of the cockpit of a 747.

hahaha!!! I hear you man. I used to do something very close to what you describe.

I have a 10' Outcast with no motor and I actually go out in Yaquina to rockfish off the fingers... I sure get the looks when the ramps backed up!! Rods sticking every-which way, nets, used to have a sonar, and a big-ass pirate flag on one of those floppy 6' fiberglass posts you use on a quad in the dunes haha...

Last edited:
B
bernduffy
I knew I was missing something: a pirate flag! Next a cannon to keep the jet skis away... And it's only a matter of time before I lose an eye (you know why) and am wearing a patch. Arrgh, Matey!
For anchor I use old window sash weights I buy at a rebuilding center for $1. They are usually marked by weight 5-10 lbs, so you can mix/match for what weight you want. I usually go with a 5# & 7# for 12# weight. Keep a knife handy to cut that line if need be. Personally, I wouldn't anchor a toon in moving water.
FinnPole, I've only been at this for a few months so I'm on the learning curve still...but anything that works, I'll be happy to pass on. But yeah, the trolling motor is real nice for several reasons: slow consistent troll speed, covering more water faster, hands free, fighting against wind, holding in current, etc. I use two golf cart batteries and get 3-4 hours from each at slow settings.
Cheers,
Bern

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I would love to have a motor. My goal is to someday retrofit to my toon the motor/jet package from a small jet-ski. Oh. Yeah. I saw a YouTube vid of a 9' Scadden toon with a brand new 10 hp Honda on the back. That things SCOOTS!!

W
wozniasm
I have a anchor system mounted to my back rack as well with an 8 lb mushroom. It works very well but I still need to see how it works in a strong wind...

C
colbypearson
ryan808 said:
You are required to have a flotation device on you, even if you dont wear it. I was stopped once, lucky the rangers were cool and let me borrow theirs for the day. I think its a ~$250 fine, if I remember right.

i never have one takes up too much room i could use for tackle or more rods.... what a lame law i wouldnt have to wear a life jacket in a inner tube why do it in a pontoon boat i consider the boat my life jacket LOL

T
Throbbit _Shane
I dont take a life jacket but i do carry a flotation device i sit on, keeps me a little more out of the water.

I agree that its a stupid law. maybe if i were going down a river, i would probably wear one. But fishing in a pond or a little lake, they'll just get in the way.

O
OnTheFly
colbypearson said:
i never have one takes up too much room i could use for tackle or more rods.... what a lame law i wouldnt have to wear a life jacket in a inner tube why do it in a pontoon boat i consider the boat my life jacket LOL
I used to think that way once until I got busted at Olallie Lake by a state trooper. You are required to carry a PFD on all navigable waters. I know it's a hassle but if you get checked it'll cost you.

C
colbypearson
im stubborn we will see if i change my ways until i learn my lesson unfortunately

T
Throbbit _Shane
colbypearson said:
im stubborn we will see if i change my ways until i learn my lesson unfortunately

Good thing staters arnt really out checking the majority of bass water. :D :D

C
colbypearson
Throbbit _Shane said:
Good thing staters arnt really out checking the majority of bass water. :D :D

when tehy do they are usually pissed about having to do it haha

O
OnTheFly
colbypearson said:
I learned mine with a $165.00 ticket. Good luck out there.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
OnTheFly said:
I learned mine with a $165.00 ticket. Good luck out there.

It's $265 now. You can ask CombatChuck about that. I was with him when he weasled his way out of the ticket on the Willy. They killed our trip and made us row down to the ramp, but I'll admit I enjoyed watching him do it in one of those big ass square jobbers.... :D:D:D I don't know how the hell he turned his head with that thing up around his face LOL!

Last edited:
G
GDBrown
JeannaJigs said:
......I gotta fix the other bladder now :( lol but the one fixed with duct tape is holdin' strong. Might just get two new bladders because I found out they aren't very expensive.

Jeanna, Shouldn't you let the Doc. fix your bladder? You might not get it right if you DIY! LOL

GD

C
Combat Chuck
GraphiteZen said:
It's $265 now. You can ask CombatChuck about that. I was with him when he weasled his way out of the ticket on the Willy. They killed our trip and made us row down to the ramp, but I'll admit I enjoyed watching him do it in one of those big ass square jobbers.... :D:D:D I don't know how the hell he turned his head with that thing up around his face LOL!

Say Wah????... I dont remember... oh crap... how could you bring up something I burried. Rowing up to the crowded boat ramp followed by a sherriffs sled... fun times.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Combat Chuck said:
Say Wah????... I dont remember... oh crap... how could you bring up something I burried. Rowing up to the crowded boat ramp followed by a sherriffs sled... fun times.

haha At least you didn't get a ticket... I'll never forget the reaction of the Deputy though "What about you? You have a vest?"

*long pause* "NO!!"

:shock: "Are ya KIDDING ME!?!"

hahaha good times indeed!

C
Combat Chuck
GraphiteZen said:
haha At least you didn't get a ticket... I'll never forget the reaction of the Deputy though "What about you? You have a vest?"

*long pause* "NO!!"

:shock: "Are ya KIDDING ME!?!"

hahaha good times indeed!

wow... you got that word for word, the crappy thing was that at the start of that day I honestly beleived I didn't need one.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Combat Chuck said:
wow... you got that word for word, the crappy thing was that at the start of that day I honestly beleived I didn't need one.

Yeah with them sitting right at mouth of the Lucky like that.. we really should have ducked into that slough at waited until they went upriver...