Oops, I did it again

F
fishinshawn
rogerdodger said:
jack steelhead?

Yes, they exist, as a small percentage of every run. Mother natures way of making sure some natural disaster doesn't wipe out a given generation of fish. Many folks will catch one and think it is just a trout...

D
DrTheopolis
Compared to salmon, steelhead jacks are a very very tiny percentage of the run.

I've caught two in my life. They had dispropotionately large dorsal fins is about all I really remember of them.

S
steelheader19
Come on guys give it up for chezjfrey!!! Clap clap

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
fishinshawn said:
Yes, they exist, as a small percentage of every run. Mother natures way of making sure some natural disaster doesn't wipe out a given generation of fish. Many folks will catch one and think it is just a trout...

they may exist but what are they? the scientific definition is not clear to me as of yet, my quick search on them turned up a variety of possible descriptions, most are not based on actual life stage (as for salmon) but more a term being applied to a small steelhead (1-salt buck or in other cases, a trout being misidentified and retained as "jack steelhead"...)....Oregon Permanent Regulations do not include the term "jack steelhead" so with regard to the fishing regs, they seem to be "unfish". :lol:

cheers

T
troutmasta
Nice Job-

Lets hit the river soon!

I think a jack steelhead is a trout, my $.02

H
halibuthitman
regardless of scientific explanation basicly anyone who tries to call a fish under about 24 inches a steelhead looks like a tool... don't embarrass yourself amongst your peers by saying " yeah hooked up on a good one... but managed to land a jack steelhead'' its reaching, desperate... and really hurts your river cred-

1 nut in the water
Monster Nook

Monster Nook

halibuthitman said:
regardless of scientific explanation basicly anyone who tries to call a fish under about 24 inches a steelhead looks like a tool... don't embarrass yourself amongst your peers by saying " yeah hooked up on a good one... but managed to land a jack steelhead'' its reaching, desperate... and really hurts your river cred-

So this 75# nook ain't gunna impress the chicks?

Last edited by a moderator:
D
DrTheopolis
halibuthitman said:
" yeah hooked up on a good one... but managed to land a jack steelhead''

I think it's worth mwntioning just for the fact it's such a rarity.

H
halibuthitman
DrTheopolis said:
I think it's worth mwntioning just for the fact it's such a rarity.

they aren't rare at all, I caught 7 of them just in big creek last year... the Rogue and Umpqua have very large numbers of them as well.. caught 2 in one day on the Nehalem last year... they are quite common in healthy native populations-

M
Modest_Man
Half-pounders aren't jacks.

H
halibuthitman
Modest_Man said:
Half-pounders aren't jacks.
I didn't say they were-

H
halibuthitman
most of them were 12-20 inches and had sea lice on them-

C
ChezJfrey
Speak of the devil! Was fishing with Dozer and he caught a jack summer today:

2013-11-23_13-08-39_149.jpg

LOL

D
DrTheopolis
Could be a stocker (if it's clipped) that never went out - I believe that happens, too.

The couple I've caught had dispropotionately large fins, FWIW.

Cool fish, regardless.

C
ChezJfrey
DrTheopolis said:
Could be a stocker (if it's clipped) that never went out - I believe that happens, too.

The couple I've caught had dispropotionately large fins, FWIW.

Cool fish, regardless.

I was just kidding about the 'jack'...just thought it would be funny to put this newfound, smallish fish on this thread. It was a summer with the max clip, but on the small side...like 22 inches. Crossed my mind that it could have been a non-migrate, but it still seems unusually big for a Clack resident. I'm inclined to think it's just a shorter than average, fall colored summer.

S
skunk
ChezJfrey said:
Speak of the devil! Was fishing with Dozer and he caught a jack summer today:

LOL

Are those the plaid shorts I spy there!!! Brrrrrrrrr.

C
ChezJfrey
skunk said:

Good eye...yes, those are the famous lucky shorts.

R
rippin fish lips
Nice fish chez.

D
dozer365
skunk said:

The shorts were fine. My hands were freezing though. Lol. Maybe I need to find some plaid gloves I can make lucky for the winter season haha the shorts worked that day. Landed two summers. That cookie on a spoon an another bout 27 inch on a pink an purple jig. Both released to down migrate maybe bigger returnees next summer.