Oregon Steelhead 2024

jamisonace
jamisonace
I guess I'll start it OFF. We braved the rain today and were rewarded with a few nice fish. Overall we hooked 4, landed 3 and missed a few others. It was a good fishy day. Saw lots of fish caught around us. Tons of fun despite the frequent downpours and chilly temps.

Oh...and I got to land a fish today. I lost one last weekend and my first one today so I finally got the skunk off myself today. I'm the fat guy that looks like he's never caught a fish before.

• 1000001644.jpg
  • 1000001645.jpg
  • 1000001641.jpg
  • Love
Reactions: CatchEmAll95, Fred, Chromatose and 4 others
Admin
Admin
That's the way
Aha aha
I like it
Aha aha

P.S. The first picture can make a cover of a book or a magazine.

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude and jamisonace
troutdude
troutdude
Well done Mr. Ace!

Reactions: jamisonace and Admin
F
Fred
Hooked four over the weekend and landed these two natives. It was pretty sketchy climbing down the ice, but I made it back in one piece.

Reactions: jamisonace, Diehard, Snopro and 1 other person
D
DonF
Other than photo's I have never seen a steelhead. Lived in Valsetz a couple years and fished for them a lot. Don't know that I ever had the first bite. Have seen a couple guys saying they had one on but both guys lost them! Imagine that! The so called steelhead is my mystery fish, not sure it really exists!

F
Fred
Lost a giant after fighting it for 5 mins. Then lost a second fish average size and this one saved me from the skunk. Y’all got any advice on fighting big fish. I can’t seem to keep the big ones pinned. It almost spooled me by taking me down river so I had to force it into a calm run and then it jumped out the water and shook off. I think I didn’t angle my rod correctly to keep its head down. The second fish I lost was me being dumb. The drag was all the way tight and I was trying to fiddle with that while the fish was heading down river. Any ideas for the eggs? Spawn sacs?

Reactions: Admin
Diehard
Diehard
Trying a new setup sunday afternoon got this wild fatty epic battle from the bank took me down through a couple knarly shoots

Reactions: Fred, jamisonace and Admin
Diehard
Diehard
Fred said:
Lost a giant after fighting it for 5 mins. Then lost a second fish average size and this one saved me from the skunk. Y’all got any advice on fighting big fish. I can’t seem to keep the big ones pinned. It almost spooled me by taking me down river so I had to force it into a calm run and then it jumped out the water and shook off. I think I didn’t angle my rod correctly to keep its head down. The second fish I lost was me being dumb. The drag was all the way tight and I was trying to fiddle with that while the fish was heading down river. Any ideas for the eggs? Spawn sacs?
Only advice i can give you us if you can try to keep the fish away from the bank until its played out hot fish next to the shore can be a disaster

Reactions: troutdude and rogerdodger
jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm convinced landing any fish, but especially the big ones is half luck. You have a better.chance of that hook setting right if you don't set immediately but let the fish turn first. If you're drift fishing, often the fish will turn and follow the bait and pick it up. If you wait for the fish to turn back around and face upstream again before setting the hook you have a better chance of getting it in the corner of the mouth.

Reactions: Fred, troutdude and Diehard
hobster
hobster
I am dying to get out there, but with the ice storm and now the blown rivers, I’ve only been once this year.
My advice is always keep your rod tip down low close to the water. I’m pretty much a bank maggot and have landed many a steelhead. Lots of times I put the rod tip down in the water so all of the lines is fully submerged, a lot of the time you can turn the fish around that way.

Reactions: Fred, jamisonace, C_Run and 1 other person
jamisonace
jamisonace
Got an invite to fish with one of the top guides in Southern Oregon on a secret river. Hooked 17 today including 3 doubles. We took 2 photos.

• Wow
Reactions: O. mykiss, Fred, troutdude and 1 other person
troutdude
troutdude
SEVENTEEN hook ups? WOW!!!

Reactions: jamisonace and Fred
hobster
hobster
Nice! The rivers near me have never dropped to a level where you can fish them ( since the rains have come ) and they are rising more today. Seems like most of Oregon is fishing pretty well. With my situation I’m not able to travel far. I’ve got lots of beads and drift fishing leaders tied up, ready to go. I think I’m getting lack of winter steelhead fishing depression☹️

Reactions: Fred and jamisonace
F
Fred
hobster said:
Nice! The rivers near me have never dropped to a level where you can fish them ( since the rains have come ) and they are rising more today. Seems like most of Oregon is fishing pretty well. With my situation I’m not able to travel far. I’ve got lots of beads and drift fishing leaders tied up, ready to go. I think I’m getting lack of winter steelhead fishing depression☹️
Haha I know that feeling only cure is a steelhead 🤣

jamisonace
jamisonace
hobster said:
Nice! The rivers near me have never dropped to a level where you can fish them ( since the rains have come ) and they are rising more today. Seems like most of Oregon is fishing pretty well. With my situation I’m not able to travel far. I’ve got lots of beads and drift fishing leaders tied up, ready to go. I think I’m getting lack of winter steelhead fishing
If the siuslaw is on a slow drop it will fish high. Water color is way more important than level.

jamisonace
jamisonace
troutdude said:
SEVENTEEN hook ups? WOW!!!
It was crazy good fishing. The water was supposed to rise over night but it didn't so no one showed up to fish. We had it all to ourselves and fish were moving through in waves. 17 legit hook ups and more missed bites. The water was really high so we we broke a few fish off in submerged trees and lost a few to heavy currents but it didn't matter, we were having too much fun.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
jamisonace said:
It was crazy good fishing. The water was supposed to rise over night but it didn't so no one showed up to fish. We had it all to ourselves and fish were moving through in waves. 17 legit hook ups and more missed bites. The water was really high so we we broke a few fish off in submerged trees and lost a few to heavy currents but it didn't matter, we were having too much fun.
Right on buddy. Day's like those are a rarity...but when you're in the right place at the right time...BOOM!

hobster
hobster
jamisonace said:
If the siuslaw is on a slow drop it will fish high. Water color is way more important than level.
Easier said than done. I know the old adage water is high fish high, water is low fish low. I can pretty much guarantee you no one is up there fishing high at 11+ feet, unless they’re plunking which is too boring for me. Plus good luck landing a steelhead in raging water like that from the bank.

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
hobster said:
Easier said than done. I know the old adage water is high fish high, water is low fish low. I can pretty much guarantee you no one is up there fishing high at 11+ feet, unless they’re plunking which is too boring for me. Plus good luck landing a steelhead in raging water like that from the bank.
I'm not a bank guy so I'm speaking about fishing from a boat but a buddy had the day of his life at Whitaker Creek at 10' after a slow drop from 16'. I love that people won't fish because it's high. It was raging on Tuesday in an incredibly popular spot but we were the only boat there because it was high.

hobster
hobster
jamisonace said:
I'm not a bank guy so I'm speaking about fishing from a boat but a buddy had the day of his life at Whitaker Creek at 10' after a slow drop from 16'. I love that people won't fish because it's high. It was raging on Tuesday in an incredibly popular spot but we were the only boat there because it was high.
Shhhhhhh😉 I have had luck at 10 feet as well but 11 1/2 is definitely pushing it. They are calling for two more inches of rain the next couple days☹️