New angler and new to fly fishing!

W
WillamiteNewbie
i do spinner fish but i also got a cheap fly rod for small trout and live in the willamete area in gladstone near the clack. i want to find some good spots when the weather gets nicer cause i don't have waders. but i've been watching videos and it looks really interesting. i want to get the feel for both and find out which one i like better. i've been practicing casting and also bought a cheap set of dry flies. anybody know of some spots for fly fishing on the clack? give me as much info as possible i'm here to learn and knock em dead during trout season! thanks.

S
Spydeyrch
Well first off, do you know the make and model of your new fly rod? What is the wt? Length? May I ask where you got it? When you say you have been practicing, do you mean at a pond, lake, on the lawn? How about nymphs, have you purchased any nymphs to compliment the set of dries you bought?

Take care.

-Spydey :D

V
Van
You may not like what i am going to say, but fly fishing isn't the easiest thing to just "give a shot and see if you like it." Success most often depends on having a cast with proper form and proper presentation of the correct fly. If you seriously want to give fly fishing a shot, take a lesson. All the local shops offer beginner lessons. There is a great shop right across the Willamette from you. The Royal Treatment in West Linn. The Orvis store at the Bridgeport mall probably offers free lessons. If none of those are an option or you dont want to, at the least go out with someone how knows how to fly fish. They will be able to observe your cast form and offer advice.

I strongly believe that trying to learn on your own is a bad idea. You can't see what you are doing wrong and Youtube videos do not offer form correction advice like a certified cast instructor can. I am not saying it is impossible, not at all. I am sure lot of great fly fishermen have learned on their own. However, if you want to get into fish as early as possible, help yourself learn correct form right from the start and lessen the frustration you are bound to experience when your fly line ends up in piles at your feet when you expect it to lay out in front of you. You will never regret taking some lessons to learn this art form. Keep us informed if how it goes.

I used to be a gear guy but once i picked up a fly rod, 99% of my fishing is done with a fly. It is my obsession. It has gotten into my bones and it feeds my soul.

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
^^ x2 :clap: :clap:

I would agree with Van. It is not like spinner fishing at all. It really does take quite a bit of time to get it down. When I got my first fly rod last year end of Jan (2011), I went out to my front yard and practised casting form, accuracy, angle, into the wind, distance, etc, 5 days a week for at least an hour each time. I did that for 2 months before I even got my fly line wet on some local water. And even then, once I hit the water, man!!! it was totally different that I had imagined. GREAT!!! but different!! Love it, wont ever go back to spinner fishing as my main fishing technique.

Keep in touch, ask questions, and practice practice practice!! :D

-Spydey

A
alm21
Go to the Orvis store at Bridgeport and sign up for their free Fly Fishing 101 class.

brandon4455
brandon4455
a few things, it doesn't have to be hard at all. being willing to learn and being patient will help, having a good teacher also helps. ive been fortunate enough to have a few people on this forum coach me along until i was able to get it down by myself it can cut your learning curve in half by having a good mentor.. ask a lot of questions, ask someone here if they might go fishing with you and perhaps teach you the basics. if you think fly fishing is something your interested in then get yourself a decent setup,pair of waders and your all set and ready to leave the nest on your own.

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Assuming you've become good at fly fishing from taking up the advice given above, I would say try fishing the Collawash that runs into the Clackamas past Ripplebrook. Try drifting caddis or small nymphs. Another word of advice, fly fishing in a lake is an easier spot to hone your skills than a river but if you can make it happen on moving water then you're already ahead of the game.
https://www.google.com/search?q=col...EA-iciAK0-qGFDg&ved=0CEgQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=781

S
Spydeyrch
OnTheFly said:
Assuming you've become good at fly fishing from taking up the advice given above, I would say try fishing the Collawash that runs into the Clackamas past Ripplebrook. Try drifting caddis or small nymphs. Another word of advice, fly fishing in a lake is an easier spot to hone your skills than a river but if you can make it happen on moving water then you're already ahead of the game.
https://www.google.com/search?q=col...EA-iciAK0-qGFDg&ved=0CEgQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=781

Nice pictures there OTF!! What beautiful water!! I wasn't even aware that was there. Now I have another place to add to my fishing bucket list. :D

-Spydey

G
GDBrown
How to start Fly Fishing

How to start Fly Fishing

If you have cable TV and get the "World Fishing Network" then Orvis has a new series of shows about learning to fly fish. They are very informative and gives some excellent demonstrations of casting and learning when and where to fish. They make it look easy and it can be if you really want it to be. The advice given above it valid and I know from experience that not having a mentor will make it much more difficult than it needs to be. So, find a mentor and watch and listen to them. Watch every video about how to cast starting with the Orvis shows or the "New Fly Fisher" and don't be afraid to ask questions. I like OTF's advice of starting on still water first. It makes learning to cast easier without the water moving. Make sure when you do practice that you keep away from gravel, concrete and asphalt as the abrasiveness will ruin you fly line faster than anything else. Good luck and let us know how things are going. Watch for get-to-gethers that we have occasionally and come join the fun.

GD

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
The very upper stretches of the Clack, are the best bet for trout fishing (on that river). And welcome to the sport.

C
ChezJfrey
OnTheFly said:

While I suggest that practicing on still water IS likely better to practice and improve form, I actually find that moving water actually helps me overcome my fly casting problems (but not actually helping my casting form get better) because it does much of the work for me; eliminates back casts and false cast need. I just let the line slip downstream, do a haul and need 0-1 false casts.

This negates my tendency to fall into my spinner/spoon tendency to unleash (trying to reach that far-bank seam), rather than let the rod-load do the work, which usually results in the dreaded tailing loops I usually get from over-powering and/or lowering the rod tip :)

O
OnTheFly
Stream and river fishing is a little more complex. Bushwhacking and wading is an adventure in itself. There are many more casting and line manipulation techniques used also such as roll, back shoulder, high sticking and mending. All combined to reach fish with a drag free presentation. Start out your fly fishing quest in waters that you can readily catch fish. Also start learning to identify aquatic insects. There's going to be a quiz.

B
Berg03
brandon4455 said:
a few things, it doesn't have to be hard at all. being willing to learn and being patient will help, having a good teacher also helps. ive been fortunate enough to have a few people on this forum coach me along until i was able to get it down by myself it can cut your learning curve in half by having a good mentor.. ask a lot of questions, ask someone here if they might go fishing with you and perhaps teach you the basics. if you think fly fishing is something your interested in then get yourself a decent setup,pair of waders and your all set and ready to leave the nest on your own.

I started fly fishing last year it only took me about 2 days to get the hang of it. First time out i caught 2 on a dry fly. I dont stick to fly fishing on a regular because i have more luck on a lure of some sort. It def is more rewarding to fly fish, when i caught a 12 inch cuthroat on a dry fly, it was amazing! All depends how well you take what is given to you. And how well you suceed at new things.

BTW Brandon 4455 was the one who taught me in a small local creek. I had to learn how to cast in trees very fast!

K
Kevinb5688
I agree with the good " teacher ". I am just getting into fly fishing after a guy on the alsea let me try out his fly rod.
He showed me how to roll cast first, after about 20 cast i got it down good enough with his advice leading me twards a decent layout of line.
About 20 cast later i caught a 6lb steelhead. Now i am getting my own fly rod and have a lot to learn.
I would say try and get one type of cast down at a time. I can roll cast great now after a month of practicing with my dads fly rod, but i can't get my line to lay out for sh** casting any other way. Lol
All part of the fun. Thank you van for teaching me how to roll cast, at least i can do that.
I have learned to power cast with a larger d loop oand i got my tyming down to release it with less drag on the water. His advice helped a ton!
Now i just need him to teach me the more advanced casting methods. Lol

V
Van
Kevinb5688 said:
Thank you van for teaching me how to roll cast, at least i can do that.

Did i do that? Must have been too many Dead Guys on my part as I can't recall any of it. Are you sure it wasn't another forum member? Not that i wouldnt like to take credit for it lol