Necanicum Fishing

P
professorpaddle
Ok so I made a post year years ago during the holiday plans and can't find my account so here it goes again. Every Christmas our family does the holiday thing in a condo. Usually it is either Mexico or Seaside (same difference right?). Anyways two years ago we went to Seaside and I packed my speyrods and swang 3 fish out of the Necanicum walking between below the bridge at the mainline over several days (2 hatchery, 1 Native). It was great, really small, really tight and I had a good time. So this year my Dad and my Uncle are begging me to trailer my Drift Boat over there and take them down the river during our vacation 12/26-1/3. This brings up several new questions.

1. Is the drift from Klootchie down to Town worth Doing? I don't mean just to swing either. I am willing to sacrifice good swinging water to get them on some fish, so we will run plugs, spinners, bobbernjig or worm etc... I am not a huge fan of bait just because I mostly C&R.

2. Is there any known wood or obstructions on that stretch right now or is it Good to Go? I'll take my saw along but I don't want to pack everything if I know ahead of time I am going to run into some 150' fir over the river in a bad spot.

3. Are there other runs nearby that might produce better ie N.F. Nehalem etc.. Suggestions on River Shuttle Service?

As always Thanks for any help
~James

S
Silvers&Steelies
That is a small river for drift boats. It's possible to do but trees blow down often and it drains out really fast. NFN is hard to take a drift boat down too and have only seen rafts go down it(from the hatchery).

P
professorpaddle
Do you know what levels the Necanicum goes in a driftboat or if there is any wood present right now? I have seen photos of people out there in boats before so I figured it was common to drift it.

N
Native Fisher
I fished it over a couple of days last year, seemed like there was a lot of good bank access all up and down the river, why not just bank it?

P
professorpaddle
I could and I will if just I fish but I was looking to run a boat down for family fun purposes. I will also say fishing through a river with a boat is almost always more productive too unless you know where they are, which I don't. lol

T
troutmasta
The problem with the Neccanie is that the bank erosion is so extreme it literally changes after each rain. Its a TINY river that changes a lot. I know some guys that pontoon it, but they have to go around log jams sometimes. If you are staying in Seaside why not head to Tillimook hour south and drift the Kilchis, Wilson or Trask which all get loads of steel and have left over salmon. Awesome drifts on all those rivers.

P
professorpaddle
Troutmasta, I am open to suggestions certainly on any of those rivers. I asked about the Necc because I banked it two years ago and enjoyed it, well and being only 10 minutes from town it makes a small dent on the Family Vacation time which is not technically all about me going fishing, although I would like to argue the validity of my vacation usage.

Anyways I have read about the Wilson and seen photos, looks nice, what about the Trask and Kilchis? Left over Salmon? Serious, you guy must have had a really late run if they are still in the system in late Dec. Wouldn't they all be boots? To be honest I don't much like harassing fish that are digging redds and trying to spawn, I don't mind C&Ring fish that I don't want to keep early on but I would think that late it would be all abunch of spawners right?

T
troutmasta
You are right it is a highly enjoyable river to bank. If you bring a boat I'd go to tillimook though. The Wilson is starting to see some winters, they have late coho, and yes some old chinook. The trask still has fresh salmon and new steel, and the kilchis is an amazing float. Lots of great water w/ no bank access.

P
professorpaddle
Nice job on that one. Were still talking 3 weeks away though and I can't believe it will still be good then but I appreciate the feedback and I'll keep that on the radar for planning. I might just take my Inflatable kayak and roll through the Nec alone if nothing seems to be panning out. In the meantime if anyone has an update on the floatability of the Nec please do let me know, I might even be able to swing a second day out and take someone else down with me.

N
Native Fisher
professorpaddle said:
well and being only 10 minutes from town it makes a small dent on the Family Vacation time which is not technically all about me going fishing, although I would like to argue the validity of my vacation usage.

We also go on vacation at the same time every year and I almost always end up having a tense conversation with the wife unit about fishing. I usually end up with at least a day or half day of fishing....Spouses see vacation time as "ours" and we tend to see it as "mine"...

R
_RJ_
I floated it the other day. You have 1 portage around large tree over the river. If you have a couple people with you its manageable, unless in a raft/pontoon then you're fine by yourself. I like to walk the boat over some of the shallow parts. I see others go through it and spin wildly, no reason for that if you ask me. I suggest waders and some friends. Take your time and work every piece of water. Good luck.

P
professorpaddle
@_RJ_

Thanks for the beta. I will plan on bringing the drift boat down. Did you guys do well? Are there still silvers and kings milling around or are they further up now?

I will probably pack float rods, plug rods, spinning gear a CP and some fly rods so we will cover the water pretty good. Did you take out in town at the ramp or did you pay to use the Gravel Pit ?

R
_RJ_
professorpaddle said:
@_RJ_

Thanks for the beta. I will plan on bringing the drift boat down. Did you guys do well? Are there still silvers and kings milling around or are they further up now?

I will probably pack float rods, plug rods, spinning gear a CP and some fly rods so we will cover the water pretty good. Did you take out in town at the ramp or did you pay to use the Gravel Pit ?

We only hooked into cutts and one jack coho. But with this new rain, once it drops into shape it should be game on. We took out at the gravel pit.

O
OnTheDrop
I'd scout before ya float it.. This high water event might have jammed something up! Love the Cannnyy

H
halibuthitman
there are 2 trees blocking the Necanicum until someone cuts them out.. the river is trashed now and will take some work to clear for a driftboat... I was there Today-

H
halibuthitman
The float from Ericksons to Aldervale on the NF Nehalem is a piece of cake for a driftboat and is only 2.3 miles long, and very productive.. you are doing much more fishing since you don't have to hustle down the river, it contains all the classic gear water, plug water and one fantastic swing run-

P
professorpaddle
I am going to bring an IK that I fish from solo and my driftboat for the family trip. I will probably float the Canny in my IK and do a little recon. I will bring a Saw down with me but to be honest since I am not a local I shy away from doing beaver missions. I clean my local whitewater and fishing runs up around me and always appreciate folks that are not local being respectful of the runs so I shy away from rolling into others backyards, running saws and possibly causing a scene. Neighbors and other locals can always have a different take on things due to politics that out of towners just don't know about.

If the Canny is not clean enough to run a driftboat down I will probably pay for the shuttle and access from Eriksons to Aldervale unless folks think the Trask or Wilson would fish significantly better.

If anyone is interested I am going to be out there a week and would always be keen on rolling down with another person for a day that knows one of these rivers, less for navigating as much as knowing where good water is before you get too close or blow through a nice hole.

P
professorpaddle
Again thanks for the responses. I am all set heading down tomorrow. If I were to take out at the gravel pit who do I need to contact to pay/ask for permission?

Oh and if you had to pick between the Trask and Wilson which would it be and who would I need to contact for the shuttle?

J
Jordy
Don't be afraid to clean up a log jam. There are boat ramps and people use them. You could very well save somebody from getting into serious trouble.

Two years ago a couple of my close friends floated the river two days in a row under consistent conditions. On the second day there was a new log jam and they had a very close call.

I'm using tapatalk at the moment, but if there is a direct message option on here you should shoot me your phone number. I know the river well and i'm going to be in town at least one day this weekend.

Reactions: rogerdodger
P
professorpaddle
Who do I contact to get access to the takeout access at the gravel pit?