Native coho question...

B
bran_man
Okay so I know that they opened retention of native coho again this year coming up in September. My question is: If you catch a native jack, can you keep it without tagging like you can with Chinook and still catch/tag a full grown one? Or is it just one and done regardless if it's a jack or not?

P
plumb2fish
I believe that last year you were allowed 2 jacks a day....

B
bran_man
thanks!

J
JeannaJigs
never got into any jacks in the rivers, but they're en masse in the lakes. I'd double check the salmon reg update that comes out in august or whenever, but probbaly can keep at least 1, possibly 2.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bran_man said:
Okay so I know that they opened retention of native coho again this year coming up in September. My question is: If you catch a native jack, can you keep it without tagging like you can with Chinook and still catch/tag a full grown one? Or is it just one and done regardless if it's a jack or not?

just wanted to close the loop on this thread that I didn't see earlier- you can keep 1 wild jack coho per day, no tagging of it, and keep fishing for Kings (jack and adult) and wild Coho adults. you would just need to release or hand off your pole if another wild jack coho hooks up. The wild jack coho would count as part of your daily limit of 5 jacks in total...

same in the lakes that are open for Coho but if you catch your 1 adult Coho first and tag it, you cannot continue fishing for the 1 jack coho that is allowed per day (you also cannot continue fishing for trout).

cheers, roger