It's a major award!

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Alright, it may not be an actual award, but it sure feels like it. Thanks in very large part to the help of the OFF community, today I bagged my first Winter Steelhead. In fact, it is many firsts for me:

1. First fish I've ever caught in a river
  2. First fish I've ever caught on a lure
  3. First fish I've ever caught over 24"
  4. First fish I've caught with my new rod & reel
  5. First fish I've caught since joining OFF

Folks, it feels damn fine. It was about 36" and probably about 16 lbs. Sadly for me, it was a native so I was unable to keep it. It fought for what seemed like forEVER - took me a good quarter mile down stream. Fortunately the conditions on the Sandy today afforded me the opportunity to chase it or that thing would have run me right out of line.

Caught it on a Corky/Yarn rig - the last one I had in my arsenal before the river ate me up & spit me out. (again)

A few lessons I've learned for those that may be on the hunt for their first as well:

• The Sandy F*ING EATS TACKLE - spinners, spoons, corkys, bait hooks, whatever. I was so happy to land this big old buck on a relatively cheap rig, I think I'm going to stick to it until I get bored. I put probably $20 in tackle into that river before landing a fish on about $.50 worth of rigging.
  • I'm one of "those guys" that asked about where to find a good hole to fish, with very frustrating results. Today, I tried the boat ramp out at Oxbow, as I have a couple of times before, with no luck. After a bit, I decided just to explore upstream a bit. Found some fly casters (that'll be me in the Spring), and just kinda found a place that was out of their way that looked interesting to me, and WHAMO! There was no special sauce. No "secret hole." And in the end, I think I feel much more proud of the achievement because I had to explore a bit to get it.
  • It didn't feel at all like I thought it would. I expected a very jittery fight. In fact, it was such a hard, steady pull, I only knew it was a fish when it started ripping the line from my reel. At times in the fight, I wasn't sure if it had hung me up on a rock or if it was just that strong. Turns out, it was just that damn strong. It could just sit in the current and make me wait.
  • My only camera is an iPhone, which I didn't want to take a swim. Now I regret it. Time to get one of those waterproof cameras several of you guys have recommended. I really wish I had my first steelie on "film," but it will make the story of its capture all the more legendary in the long run, I'm sure. Fortunately, there were some fellas fishing from a boat across the way that watched the whole thing go down. They laughed at the size of the net I had around my neck. Turns out, that's what I used to MEASURE the fish, which was 1 1/2 times the length of the entire thing. Now I just feel silly for having it out there at all.
  • And last but not least, I learned that it is truly rewarding to take the time to learn how to catch a big game fish here in the wild Pacific Northwest. Pond & lake trout are the only fish I've ever caught, save a for a couple catfish & bluegill as a kid. This was a very intimidating journey to begin with, but I really do appreciate the incredible reel-time advice available on this site above all others.

:Sniff: I love you guys.

Enough with the acceptance speech. I'll be back at it in the morn'. Corkys, 15lb mainline, 10lb leader & a drifting rig to get 'er done.

Have a good night, folks.

-Pinky

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Very nice!! :D Congrats! :clap::clap::clap:

T
TimberTodd
Congratulations on all of those firsts.
Todd

W
wozniasm
Outstanding Pinky! Glad you got to play with one!
Didn't get ant steel myself but hooked my first Bull Trout ever (16 incher)! I know you're pain - my camera battery died as well as my cell so no picks.
I did get a chance to roam all over the Nestaucca and it's beautiful up there! Waterfalls everywhere and tons of spots to hit.
Also found a campground I'll be going to this year for some camping.

K
Kevinb5688
Sounds like you had a great time. Good job, its always nice to catch a fish while on a recon mission

L
lilsalmon
:yay::yay::yay:

W
wozniasm
Kevinb5688 said:
Sounds like you had a great time. Good job, its always nice to catch a fish while on a recon mission

To my surprise, Bull Trout have pretty big teeth! Found that out when I grabbed it like a trout!

C_Run
C_Run
Congratulations. I hope that's just the first of many to come.

P
PNW Sam
Congrats Pinky! That's really a great fish!

troutdude
troutdude
Excellent write up Pinky. It was a pleasure to read, and I felt like I was along for the ride.

Congrats on all of those firsts!

If I'm not mistaken, I'd say that YOU are the one that's HOOKED now! :shock:

N
nwkiller
congrats man, great post!

I
imfishing
troutdude said:

Well Said.

As You Have Undoubtedly Figured Out "Buy" Now...

Take Out Some Stock In Some Of The Publicly Traded Tackle Company's.

Nice Read.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
wozniasm said:
Didn't get ant steel myself but hooked my first Bull Trout ever (16 incher)! I know you're pain - my camera battery died as well as my cell so no picks.
I did get a chance to roam all over the Nestaucca and it's beautiful up there! Waterfalls everywhere and tons of spots to hit.

Nice work, Woz! Sounds like you and I need to petition old Santy Clause for some cameras next year. I thought about heading out to the Nestucca after our conversation, but it's at least twice the distance from my house and I"m just getting familiar with the whole process. So much water to explore out there. Man I love the Northwest.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
troutdude said:

Guilty as charged. :lol:

H
hunt-fish-trap
nice job pinkster! I have pulled a crap ton of fish out of the Sandy, with our boat record of 25 in a 6 hour float. thats with 2 guys. I feel ur pain on loosin the gear but when the water is low and its freezing cold outside with nothin running. take a hike and get ur gear back.

P
plumb2fish
wozniasm said:

I was unaware of there being a population of bull trout on the nestucca. From your post, I assumed you caught it there....

P
plumb2fish
wozniasm said:
To my surprise, Bull Trout have pretty big teeth! Found that out when I grabbed it like a trout!

I think you may have caught a cutthroat, bull trout have very small teeth on the jaw line only....no teeth on the roof of their mouths like most salmonids.

P
plumb2fish
Sorry about the hi-jack pinky.....way to go on the steelhead...don't those big nates pull hard...effing blast

W
wozniasm
plumb2fish said:
I think you may have caught a cutthroat, bull trout have very small teeth on the jaw line only....no teeth on the roof of their mouths like most salmonids.

I reviewed the pics in the regs and the mouth was elongated with a flat straight jaw as in the pic of the bull trout. The back fins were rounded, not pointed.
The mouth of the cutthroat does not look elongated nor was the jaw curved up and the back fin is pointed. I may be wrong but the closest pic to what I caught is a brown trout but the coloring was darker.
Unsure if there were teeth on the roof of the mouth but definitely on the front lower jaw where you would put your thumb in the mouth and they were quite fine/thin. Enough to where I let go as soon as I applied pressure.
You guys are the experts and I a novice so I can be definitely wrong. I just wish my camera was working because I would have taken pics.
I appreciate your input!

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
pinkygonzales said:
Alright, it may not be an actual award, but it sure feels like it. Thanks in very large part to the help of the OFF community, today I bagged my first Winter Steelhead. In fact, it is many firsts for me:

1. First fish I've ever caught in a river
  2. First fish I've ever caught on a lure
  3. First fish I've ever caught over 24"
  4. First fish I've caught with my new rod & reel
  5. First fish I've caught since joining OFF

Folks, it feels damn fine. It was about 36" and probably about 16 lbs. Sadly for me, it was a native so I was unable to keep it. It fought for what seemed like forEVER - took me a good quarter mile down stream. Fortunately the conditions on the Sandy today afforded me the opportunity to chase it or that thing would have run me right out of line.

-Pinky
One of the best tackle stretching stories I've heard for awhile. Don't be too bummed the fish didn't make it over for dinner. The experience had much more value than the meal. Good on you mate!