• No

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
T
the_intimidator03
Thuggin4Life said:
as for the location of that spot. i believe it to be a river in oregon somewhere near the ocean. maybe im wrong though can't remember. i think it was the east fork of the snake river now that i think about it.

I have to laugh at that bit Andy. Yeah the umpqua is more a C&R fishery now. Ive watched the runs come through the ladder and I see probably 25:1 wild/hatchery ratio for steels. If I recall correctly they stopped stocking coho in the north as well.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Sounds about right for fish in the ladder. Any hatchery steelhead going through there are strays from the South Umpqua. I have heard about quit a few hatchery fish so far this winter and a guide that fishes down there has landed hatchery fish as well. There are more clippers around so far this winter but probably not as many as there should be. You could say that about most rivers though. :D

H
hawgcaller
The 1 a day 5 a year rule in my opinion is the way to go. I do not necessarily want to keep a native but if something did accidentally happen to where I was unable to release the fish alive, I think it would be better to keep that fish and put it to some use rather than letting it sink down to the bottom of the river. Also, the seals in that river took just about every single fish I saw hooked at winchester bay. They truly dont care if the fish on the end of you line is a "clipper". 5 years ago there was 1 maybe 2 seals working the rocks. this year, at least 15 cleaning up shop.

N
nwkiller
there were a lot of hatchery fish this year. and a lot of seals at chster but one or two days that i was there out of the 20 did they really "clean "shop....i didn't lose one fish to a seal....not saying one didn't grab it while it was swimming tired.....sometimes when you have one on the line it can be a "freebie" for a seal.......but they really dont need it.....ive seen them chewing on salmon when no one has caught a fish and even when no one was fishing, point is seals eat them anyway.....so i agree with the 5 and done native retention there...get in get out. year before last we caught a crap load of natives only to possibly give a seal a free meal. we caught maybe 5 hatchery fish that year.....which sucked cause seals were obviously feeding on a major native population......with more hatchery fish last year and being able to keep 5 made more use of our resources.

H
hawgcaller
I dont know man, there were like literally 15 seals at half moon bay, and i was down there two days after they closed retention and watched people basically hand feeding these seals gorgeous native coho. And yes those seals can catch salmon on their own i have seen that myself but why when they can just post up on the banks and steal 4 out of 5 people fish. I didn't lose a fish to a seal there this year either but that was because I was fishing for chinook catching coho and was able to put the wood to em. But you know just as well as i do not everyone down there can do that and people were getting raped. I watched a lady that was down there camping for a week not getting squat finally hook up and get stripped of all her line in twenty seconds. pretty tragic for that lady.

V
Van
Ugg, that is hard to watch. It is great that the Umpqua has a fantastic and robust native population. However, it is because of things like this that every native fish is important. Too many people are ignorant of how to properly handle and release a native and a lot of fishermen just dont care. Hopefully he will learn something from the comments on his youtube vid.

M
mrlindeman
Tailing the fish would have prevented a lot of that as well. Its a great thing to at least practice and learn to keep the stress of the fish down. Just the netting of that fish was rough. Let alone the rest.

H
hunt-fish-trap
blast away at me if ya want ...but.... the only good seal is a dead seal. they are not native to this area and are killing more fish that us fishermen and women as a whole. they stink up and poo allover the docks. the canadians have it correst. CLUB AWAY!

T
Thuggin4Life
mrlindeman said:
Tailing the fish would have prevented a lot of that as well. Its a great thing to at least practice and learn to keep the stress of the fish down. Just the netting of that fish was rough. Let alone the rest.

good luck tailling a fish down there on that strech of the river. i would have loved to see you try to step out in the water as well. akward enough tryinh to stand at the waters edge.

S
steelhead_stalkers
There is an easy fix to all of this. A pair of pliers! :lol:

V
Van
Video went bye bye.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Thuggin4Life said:
good luck tailling a fish down there on that strech of the river. i would have loved to see you try to step out in the water as well. akward enough tryinh to stand at the waters edge.
andy you dont have to step in the water to tail a fish. it's just slightly more difficult then wading in to grab it.

L
lilsalmon
brandon4455 said:
andy you dont have to step in the water to tail a fish. it's just slightly more difficult then wading in to grab it.

Now, Brandon, don't take this wrong but in another thread it was said that you are "horrible at tailing". I think if this is true that you really shouldn't be telling Andy how it can be done. I don't agree with the way it was handled either, but......we weren't there.......we don't know shipoopy.

brandon4455
brandon4455
lilsalmon said:
Now, Brandon, don't take this wrong but in another thread it was said that you are "horrible at tailing". I think if this is true that you really shouldn't be telling Andy how it can be done. I don't agree with the way it was handled either, but......we weren't there.......we don't know shipoopy.

i'm not horrible at tailing the fish was not ready to come in when i tried to tail it. i wasn't trying to tell andy how it's done i was just saying you dont have to get wet to tail a fish..sorry if i stepped on any toes

C
chrisohm
Too bad the video has been taken away. It was a good example of what not to do when handling a native fish. Even though some of our own members were there and could have done more it doesn't hide the fact that it is a good learning experience for us all. Now that the thread is huge and in some ways off topic and out of proportion it could have gone into the tutorial section for new members and the inexperienced members as well. Now we all know what we should do the next time this situation comes up! Now, quit staring at your computer screen, it takes away from valuable fishing time or getting ready for the next big adventure.

A
alm21
chrisohm said:
Too bad the video has been taken away. It was a good example of what not to do when handling a native fish. Even though some of our own members were there and could have done more it doesn't hide the fact that it is a good learning experience for us all. Now that the thread is huge and in some ways off topic and out of proportion it could have gone into the tutorial section for new members and the inexperienced members as well. Now we all know what we should do the next time this situation comes up! Now, quit staring at your computer screen, it takes away from valuable fishing time or getting ready for the next big adventure.

I agree and although I knew by posting this, it would strike a chord for people on what can be a heated topic. Honestly, I didn’t expect this thread to take off as it did but it highlights an important issue regardless where one may stand on the subject. On one hand, I was a bit surprised that someone from this forum was there but then again, it’s not all that surprising because it demonstrates that our community of anglers is smaller than we may care to think and that we can be change agents by educating, informing and holding each other accountable by leveraging the internet as a platform for such. Considering I’ve only been at this for 3yrs now, I learned a thing or two from this thread and I hope others may have too. Tell you what, it blew my mind to hear that people are catching wild fish, clipping their fin and releasing it in hopes to retain down the road. I don’t know where to begin on how ridiculous that is.

Anyway, this thread has ran its course, thanks all for participating, onward...