Votes: 39 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
K
Keith
He certainly was not gentle.... In fact he treated it like a piece of wood stuck to his luer.

D- BAG !!

brandon4455
brandon4455
whoever voted it's not mistreating the fish is a moron not trying to pick a fight but come on.. you dont put your hand in the gills of a native..

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
The guy netted the fish then let it come back over the net frame sealing the opening. It was all wrong. In post twenty, hunt-fish-trap is showing a perfect example of how it should be done. In most cases a net can be placed flat, still in the water, for even less stress to the fish. The fish probably lived but could have been hurt very easily.

J
jawjacker
If your considering a new fish friendly net here are some things to consider. The netting dose not have to be rubber coated in my opinon but it does need to be made with a small mesh with out knots to form the netting. The larger netting tears the rays of the tail and fins and the knots are very abrasive to the slime coat and scales. That particular style of net tends to be made out of a much stiffer material then the smaller soft mesh nets that are out there. I think the rubber nets are designed to resist getting tangled up in your rigging which can be a nightmare if you use multiple hooks or trebles which should only be used if you plan to retain a fish anyways. I on the other hand don't own a net because I have lost more fish because of them and I just prefer to beach the fish in the shallows and tail um. When I get a boat it will be a different story and I or a trusted buddy will handle the net duties and not some over anxious jack ass. I have been just as guilty of miss handling fish as the goober in the video but over the years I have become a more consciences fisherman. Preparation is the key to a clean release. You need to have your pliers on the ready and a plan of action before the fish even gets near the bank. I like to have pliers on my person at all times when I fish not only for release but they are an excellent tool that have many uses stream side. When you hook a fish one of the things you should immediately look for is a good place to land the fish and then do your very best to lead the fish in that direction. I have seen so many people hook a fish and just stay rooted to the ground. I like to move up and down stream with the fish to maintain maximum pressure and controll and minimum line out. By doing that I think I land more fish and in better condition.

H
hunt-fish-trap
Im def gettin a new net, one of those 10ft jobs so I dont even have to use my rod!

O
OnTheFly
hunt-fish-trap said:
Im def gettin a new net, one of those 10ft jobs so I dont even have to use my rod!
I think you can pick one of those up at Shears Falls on the Deschutes from the Indians.:lol:

S
salmon_slayer87
I actually dont even bring my net half the time. I always try to find slower water to land it in (grab of the tail). Gilling this fish was more then likely a brain fart on his part...heck the camera was rolling...friends were waiting. Not an excuse for doing it...but a mistake im sure he wont do again, Thanks to our OFF members.
Thanks,
Dale

L
lilsalmon
They are all idiots.....not newbs...not one of the guys said, hey don't do that....idiots...period. And then to post it for all to see. Sheesh....idiots.

T
Thuggin4Life
First of all i netted that fish. guy who caught it was a stranger. notice how i set the net down and walk away. not my fish. also i left the fish in the water. why drag it way out of the water. and would be a good distance away from the waters edge to be able to lay the net down nicely. also it should be noted that the bank there is aa pretty good angle so stepping out in the water even with waders would be very tricky. doesn't look like it but i would say nothing less than 30* for a few feet above the water and for several feet under. one normal human stride from the waters edge would have you up to your wast standing on a steep underwater slope. Also he had a treble hook. not my choice but again to each there own. i would never had gilled it and i did cringe a bit when i seen it. The guy who filmed the video was with me as well. I will say the 3 fish my party landed were quickly netted and realease a bit more up to standards. this is why i hate the internet. video was posted for the catcher to get his hands on a video of him catching his fish filmed by a stranger. things like this are why im not around as often. thanks guys i really apreciate all the kind things that were said about the guy who netted the fish.

E
Eastcoastborn
you never have that much trouble with a hook if it is a fly.... or if it is barbless....

A
alm21
Thuggin4Life said:
First of all i netted that fish. guy who caught it was a stranger. notice how i set the net down and walk away. not my fish. also i left the fish in the water. why drag it way out of the water. and would be a good distance away from the waters edge to be able to lay the net down nicely. also it should be noted that the bank there is aa pretty good angle so stepping out in the water even with waders would be very tricky. doesn't look like it but i would say nothing less than 30* for a few feet above the water and for several feet under. one normal human stride from the waters edge would have you up to your wast standing on a steep underwater slope. Also he had a treble hook. not my choice but again to each there own. i would never had gilled it and i did cringe a bit when i seen it. The guy who filmed the video was with me as well. I will say the 3 fish my party landed were quickly netted and realease a bit more up to standards. this is why i hate the internet. video was posted for the catcher to get his hands on a video of him catching his fish filmed by a stranger. things like this are why im not around as often. thanks guys i really apreciate all the kind things that were said about the guy who netted the fish.

Small world. I will say that I posted this here not to drag someone out for a public beating but rather highlight what can be a common issue that should be addressed. It's a double-edge sword. On one hand, I can understand why you'd be upset from being exposed and criticized (well not really exposed but you stepped out to shed some light on the situation otherwise no one would have known it was you netting the fish) but on the other hand, I see this as a positive attritibute of the internet for those seeking knowledge to become better more informed anglers, myself included. If you peel out the negative comments in this thread, you'll see some very good dialogue and information. I don't expect you to feel any different but for what it's worth there is some good in all of this.

J
jawjacker
If people think that fish was mistreated I have heard rumors from a very reliable sorce that people were cutting the adipose fins off native fish and releasing them on that same river early this year. In hopes of being able to keep the fish on it's second migration. There is a lot of frustration about not being able to harvest a majority of the steelhead caught on the umpqua because they are native. If you believe that you should be allowed to keep 1 native a day 5 per year like several other streams in Oregon that have a healthy robust run of native steelhead go sign the petition they have over at Oregon Rod, Reel & Tackle on Coburg road in Eugene. I signed it not because I would keep a native my self but in hopes that it would improve the fishery in the long run and maybe stop some of the bs. I don't condone the whole fin clipping thing and if I ever see it going on there's gona be big problems.

S
steelhead_stalkers
tnffishman said:
Whenever a fish that is going to be released is netted, it's mistreated in my opinion

They do make very good conservation series nets that do not remove slime or scales from the fish. They allow you to fight the fish and get it in faster, which is better. But they are not cheap so most don't use them. The type of net used in the video is absolutely horribly to land a wild fish in! Its like rubbing coarse rope all over the fish. It probably looked like it was gill netted once it was released. :(

S
steelhead_stalkers
jawjacker said:
If people think that fish was mistreated I have heard rumors from a very reliable sorce that people were cutting the adipose fins off native fish and releasing them on that same river early this year. In hopes of being able to keep the fish on it's second migration. There is a lot of frustration about not being able to harvest a majority of the steelhead caught on the umpqua because they are native. If you believe that you should be allowed to keep 1 native a day 5 per year like several other streams in Oregon that have a healthy robust run of native steelhead go sign the petition they have over at Oregon Rod, Reel & Tackle on Coburg road in Eugene. I signed it not because I would keep a native my self but in hopes that it would improve the fishery in the long run and maybe stop some of the bs. I don't condone the whole fin clipping thing and if I ever see it going on there's gona be big problems.

I think the only problem with the rule change is that it is not going to stop the idiots from doing what they have always done. People who poach wild steelhead will do it regardless of the regulations. A lot of those crazy people who are plunking keep wild fish anyway and then like you said some clip the fish in hopes of keeping them later. Those type of people have problems and the rule change will not fix that. Do you think they would stop at 5 wild fish per year? Some of those crazies probably keep 30 steelhead a year. I have heard and seen some very disturbing things about whats going on down on the Umpqua. There are wild steelhead being thrown in the bushes on the Unpqua as we speak!

No, I am not calling Thuggin crazy. :D

Last edited:
H
hunt-fish-trap
I think you can pick one of those up at Shears Falls on the Deschutes from the Indians.
heck no Im getting one from up in Alaska! you know the type 4 foot diameter with a clear gill net attached to it with a long ars handle!
also thug dont take offense to all the slander thrown out there. yes you netted it but you walked away. the net wasn't the bad part. it was the gilling of the fish that made me cringe. also stepping in that water without a life jacket on in that river is pure craziness. dont shy away, ur posts are always chocked full of useful information.

now that being said, "where is ur favorite hole again? I forget"

808steelheader
Hi guys:
I'm not a frequent poster on here, but just wanted to say that it's great to hear of the collective care and concern for wild fish on this board.

I've seen fish handled in the way the video shows and have been concerned for the mortality of wild fish as a result. I agree with points raised on here about educating folks on the safe handling of wild fish. Perhaps some of those that hold wild steelhead by the gills and keep them out of water too long are new to the sport and don't know any better and would do differently if they were tactfully educated by more experienced fisherman. Unfortunately, it appears that some that mishandle fish should know better since some of these folks appear to be fishing guides.

I happen to be a fly fisherman, but we all need to stick together to protect wild steelhead regardless of how we choose to fish. Wild steelhead are too valuable to be lost to greed and short sighted attitudes.

Sincerely,

Todd Hirano

Reactions: Raincatcher
brandon4455
brandon4455
808steelheader said:
Hi guys:
I'm not a frequent poster on here, but just wanted to say that it's great to hear of the collective care and concern for wild fish on this board.

I've seen fish handled in the way the video shows and have been concerned for the mortality of wild fish as a result. I agree with points raised on here about educating folks on the safe handling of wild fish. Perhaps some of those that hold wild steelhead by the gills and keep them out of water too long are new to the sport and don't know any better and would do differently if they were tactfully educated by more experienced fisherman. Unfortunately, it appears that some that mishandle fish should know better since some of these folks appear to be fishing guides.

I happen to be a fly fisherman, but we all need to stick together to protect wild steelhead regardless of how we choose to fish. Wild steelhead are too valuable to be lost to greed and short sighted attitudes.

Sincerely,

Todd Hirano

very well said todd :clap:

brandon4455
brandon4455
on the other hand..im curious to know who the 4 people are that think that fish was not mishandled??? i would like to know their reasons for thinking that is proper fish handling

808steelheader
brandon4455 said:
very well said todd :clap:

Thanks, we're all in this together. My dream would be for everyone to realize the value of our wild steelhead - each one is a precious gift. We have all been living in the age of hatcheries where the expectation to harvest fish is strong. I gotta admit, I love bonking a bright hatchery fish every now and then myself, they are so good to eat. However, a wild steelhead, born in the gravel of it's home river is a miracle of nature too precious to be havested or mishandled. Wild Steelhead populations are in trouble everywhere in the NW so we need to protect runs that are holding on. My hope is that wider spread appreciation of our native steelhead will lessen scenes where wild steelhead are poached, mishandled, or treated as inconveniences between catches of "clippers".

Tight Lines,

Todd

T
Thuggin4Life
as far as this river is concerned there is a massive run of massive wild steelhead and is in no way endangered. in fact the hatchery fish the government promises are endangered. i am all for a small retention of wild stellhead where applicable and this is deffinantly the spot. poachers are poachers no matter what the laws are they will find away to poach. then you got the guys who grew up fishing this river and then someone say you can't take home what you have always been able to before and oh by the way we lost all our hatchery smolts again this year so keep waiting ou might get a good return some year. 1 fish a day 5 a year was a good reg. i just signed the petition and i am gonna be collecting signatures. odfw didn't change the regs on this river the guides did trying to protect there own interest. this video deffinantly shows how to gill a fish with the fist of fury plane and simple. i would do things differently. an as for rubber nets. yeah mybe there are a bit better but they are expensive and are harder to use. and most people arent using them. fishing is fishing no matter what you do eventually a fish is gonna die when released. i just hope everyone can try there best to keep the mortality rates down. oh and by the way report for that day was. 15 rods out for most of the day. 12 bites. 8 that stuck. 7 landed. all nates. 5 in my group with 3 fish and dude in the video got another one shortly after that. as for the location of that spot. i believe it to be a river in oregon somewhere near the ocean. maybe im wrong though can't remember. i think it was the east fork of the snake river now that i think about it.