Hagg opener on 3/7 who's going?

PK Yi
PK Yi
I've read that hagg gets a crap ton of pressure, and then even more. I'm surprised that it has a lot of (large size) bass in there given all of these pressure. is it catch and release only for bass or any size limit?

M
montym
Hagg! Slow? Must be some other Hagg lake and not the one we are talking about :) Proof below. The largest one was almost 18 inch. All on power eggs, at my new secret location :). The large ones came in a 45 min span where I lost two other biggies, one a foot or so from the bank. The other I never saw, but that was the only one that pulled line out. I think that was most probably because my drag was set too light but it did have me very very interested for a while.

Spoke to a gent who fishes there almost every day, he said every year they release some really really big ones at Hagg. Said last year they released 20 lb one. I have seen TD's picture of that 12 lb one, but 20?

If it does not rain very heavily tomorrow morning probably I'd be there again. Say hi if you see an rotund brown chap in a red jacket.

catch.jpg

Cheers
Monty

troutdude
troutdude
Berg03 said:
Tons of bass around the entire lake. There are hot spots but not just gonna give those away. Anywhere you can cast from the bank have some smallies hanging around. Ive seen multiple 8+lb smallies in Hagg. A new record is def. in there just have to get it to bite :)

Multiple 8 pounds plus??? Really??? The ODFW site has the current record, posted at 8.176 pounds. So any fish over that, would be a new state record.

troutdude
troutdude
Sammy; only ONE bass per day can be legally kept.

Monty; well done! I wish I lived closer.

Yes; I have heard of BIG brooders being planted in the past. But IDK if any over 20 pounds is true, or not.

B
Berg03
troutdude said:
Multiple 8 pounds plus??? Really??? The ODFW site has the current record, posted at 8.176 pounds. So any fish over that, would be a new state record.
Yes multiple! Not just been told about them, i have seen them. Ive tried everything to get them to bite. Usually a smaller one darts out from the depths and takes it before a biggy will eat it. :( one of these days it will be landed!

B
Berg03
And I have seen a trout/brooder at i would guess around 16lbs... so maybe a 20lber in there? But some of the native trout get HUGE in this lake. Not uncommon to catch a native 4-5 lber out of there.

S
Seahawkfan
Why aren't you guys out fishing? Afraid of a little rain?

S
sapo
Monty, Hagg was very slow on Friday for most fishermen. I talked to a lot of guys who said that Thursday had been good but they'd only picked up a few on Friday. Some fishermen did well, and the dam was the best spot, but everywhere besides the dam was pretty slow.

PK Yi
PK Yi
ok, after reading all these posts, I really need to get to hagg. hoping to go sometime late next week.

the annual parking permit is $55 right?

D
DrTheopolis
Probably been almost 20 years since I've fished Hagg. And it might be 20 more before I go again. Thoroughly underwhelming to me, but to each their own.

M
montym
Sammy yes the annual pass is $55. The lady at the counter told me that it works for many more parks, I think what she said was all Washington parks, but I need check that out online.

Cheers
M

bass
bass
Pass is a Washington County Parks pass. I am not sure which other parks require it. I am trying to decide on whether to hit Hagg tomorrow or fish the Willamette. I am a bit worried about the wind on Hagg. That lake gets much rougher than the Willamette when the wind is just wrong. I got a couple of new trolling rods for my son and I and I have been itching to break them in :)

I did read it was a slow bite today so I may just go to Hagg. I don't want to drive all the way out there and find the water to be muddy. If anyone was on the water today I would certainly appreciate a comment on the water quality and the bite quality.

PK Yi
PK Yi
how busy are the ramps on week days? if I go early around 7am on say a wednesday, can I expect to launch right away or are there usually long lines?