Hagg opener on 3/7 who's going?

M
montym
Got our limits today at ramp c, small ones but saw another big one taken. Guy estimated it at 7 or 8 pounds.

troutdude
troutdude
Glad to "C" (ha ha) that, you got your limits today. A main reason that I love Hagg, is a chance at a biggy!

bass
bass
I read on another forum that the trollers did really well (on guy claimed 75 to the boat). I think in normal conditions the bankies have an advantage at this time of year, however, with the clear water (I assume) trolling is probably very effective. Folks all said that they were flatlining and most folks mentioned worms. This is all second hand but I trust at least some of the sources.

Update: Sounds like it was quite a bit slower today. Some folks had a good morning bite but it does not sound like anyone did all that well after 9am.

Last edited:
B
Berg03
ya i was in my pontoon today, went from boat ramp A to the dam. first pass got about 15, at the dam got about 20 and another 10 or so on the way back to the ramp. Was a good day on the water. Did not keep any (i only keep the broods or tagged fish)

M
montym
I covered a lot of water at ramp C today with worms and salmon eggs, ditched my ultralights for sometime hoping for a large one and went with my salmon rod and heavier weights, but I got bites only on power eggs. Not even a nibble on other stuff. Yesterday also I don't think I saw anyone catching anything at ramp A on worms/spinners/spoons, but that does not mean no one did; I tend to take root where I am and not look around much.

Q on the catch and release stuff, most of my trouts have been on power eggs and most of them seem to be hooked too deep to be released. I have caught only a few on spoons or spinners, and they all were hooked on the lips. Is that the norm most of the time? Will a gut hooked trout usually survive if I cut the line? I have read, probably here only, that they can throw the hook out after a few days but that sounds kind of difficult.

I'd have preferred to release some that I caught today to continue fishing, but I was not sure if they'd survive.....

Cheers
M

S
sapo
Ya montym, I do a lot of c&r with stocked trout, some of which I catch on power eggs. Sometimes they're hooked too deep and I'll have to keep it, but if it is hooked deep and you cut the line as close to the hook as possible and release it, apparently the survival rate is much higher than if you get the hook out as the hook will decompose/disappear in the fish's stomach. But, I like to use circle hooks which almost always hook the fish in the corner of the mouth making for an easy release. And ya spinners, spoons, and flies hook on the corner of the mouth almost all the time.

P
playhooky
montym

cut the line if the fish doesn't appear to be in trouble. I believe the acids in a fish begin to dissolve the hook after a few days and then the fish will be fine. They will eject the mono one end or the other. Perhaps a little uncomfortable for awhile but that's the price they pay for eating a power egg with a shank in it. cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troutdude
troutdude
X3. Several years ago a fisheries biologist told me that; there is a bloodstream enzyme that will dissolve the hook in a few days. Ever since then, I cut the line as close to their mouths as possible. Then, return them to the water.

bass
bass
troutdude said:
BTW, I picked up another 6' ultralight Fenwick feralite rod, with a Mitchell rear drag reel. An antique store find, in Amity, on the way home. Plus, I had a Lake Stop Store polish dog with relish; for breakfast!!! Full report will be posted tomorrow.

Did you post a report?

I saw montym's report that he ran into you, I guess you were doing your hat wave or something :)

troutdude
troutdude
Sorry Bass; was wiped out all day yesterday. I'm hoping to file my report, and several pics, this evening.

Actually...one of Monty's friends, told me that it was his first time fishing (I was right next to them). As soon as I suggested that, he become an OFFer...Monty overhead, and came rushing over with a smile, and asked me for my "handle". He, and I, had pm'd each other last week. So we knew that each other, would be there. We just didn't know where; until I mentioned OFF! Then, his friend snapped some pics of the two of us. Good times!

L
Lincoln
I went today at about noon and I fished by boat ramp C for a few hours with no luck. I moved to the creek next to it and instantly got a hit from a lure. I ended up catching one not too long after that and called it a day.

S
sapo
Hey! Any reports from Hagg today or yesterday? I'm debating whether to hit Hagg or Canby pond tomorrow (I'm 14 so I'm allowed at Canby :thumb:). Canby was stocked in the last couple of days, but I like the warm water and trout fishing at Hagg...any reports from Hagg? How has the smally fishing been there? How crowded has it been? Should I hit Hagg or Canby? Lots of questions, hopefully they'll get answered. Thanks!

PK Yi
PK Yi
"75 to the boat" . lol. sure, us fishermen don't lie :D

F
FishOn420
I went fishing at Hagg lake from 3-7 with not a single bit. Tried worms, powerbait and salmon eggs. Oh well next time I will go early.

bass
bass
sammy said:
"75 to the boat" . lol. sure, us fishermen don't lie :D

They were fishing 4 rods. He was trolling near the spillway of the dam (near the booms). Other boats saw them circling that area and doing extremely well. Lots of doubles triples and even a couple of quadruples. When fish are stacked up it is reasonable to do that kind of damage.

S
sapo
Just got back from a nice day at Hagg. Was slow for 90% of the fishermen out there, most people left empty-handed or maybe with one fish. However, 10% of the fishermen do actually tend to catch 90% of the fish, and I was in that 10%. Everyone was saying boat ramp C was slow, but I was doing quite well, 4 fish landed and quite a few missed. Biggest one was probably only 13-14", so nothing great. They were all released because I wanted a 15"+ if I was going to take the time to clean it, etc. So Hagg was slow for most but people on OFF would probably do well there.

According to reports while I was there, the bank fishermen were out fishing the boats by quite a bit. Supposedly Boat Ramp C (where I caught all my fish, ramp A was slow when I hit it) was the slowest and the dam was the hottest. There was no room for me at the dam but I went to the "slow" boat ramp C and hooked up over 10 times in the span of an hour or two. It's doing fairly well. That's my report!

S
sapo
Oh, and by the way I was using power eggs (yellow-green/garlic). Always do the trick when the fishing's slow.

PK Yi
PK Yi
thanks for the great report.

are there any bass or catfish in hagg?

S
sapo
Tons of bass in hagg. Largemouth are a little more rare, but dude the state record smally caught in Hagg. I've caught countless smallies in Hagg. Catfish, yes, but hard to find. Good luck with those.

B
Berg03
Tons of bass around the entire lake. There are hot spots but not just gonna give those away. Anywhere you can cast from the bank have some smallies hanging around. Ive seen multiple 8+lb smallies in Hagg. A new record is def. in there just have to get it to bite :)

Catfishing used to be GREAT at hagg. Seems most have gone into the depths though. About 4 years ago i got a 7lber out of there in one of the arms that a creek comes in. They are in there but more rare these days