Good choice?

T
tonym
Garcia Amaricana 9585A 8 ft. 6 in. AFTM #6 & 7. The reel is a Silstar FG-4
found this on craigslist for 20. I want to get into fly fishing is this a good choice to start with?

Chromatose
Chromatose
For a fiberglass rod it is a good start up for you. It is a older rod, but I am sure it will get you hooked on Bug Sticks!!! I do not know any thing about the composite reels. But if the 4 is line weight you might want to upgrade to the line weight of your rod. But for 20.00 Bucks it will do. Just my .02 Worth..................Good Luck & Have Fun!!!

Reactions: tonym
B
bran_man
I have no knowledge on fly fishing rods, but like chromatose said, for $20, can't really go wrong.

M
mezzfin
I'd keep looking for a 5wt rod and get a matched line. If you keep a 4wt line with a 6/7 rod you'll have a tough time getting the rod to load and cast properly. If you get a 6 or 7wt line on that rod, you'll still be a bit light for steel and a bit heavy for trout, IMO.

T
tonym
Thanks for the info guys. I might get it just to practice and see if fly fishing is really something I'd like. I can put a heavier line on the reel right?

K
krisbman
you can load that reel with a 7wt line but you will probably have to reduce your backing capacity(not good)however with a 7wt line your just about perfect for some steelies in my book. i land them on my 5wt no problemo. if i were you id save a few more bones and buy a good med-fast action 9ft 6wt graphite rod and reel combo.

H
hcole
Tony, I have a Ross essence 5/6 I'd sell for $60. It's practically new, still has the plastic on the handle if I recall correctly. Pm me if interested.