. . . all time favorite . . .

John3
John3
. . . my all time favorite freshwater trout rod . . .

Fenwick Feralite 7’ 6” wt. 5 flyfishing rod

Pflueger Medalist 1492 1/2 fly reel

I bought it 50 + plus years of ago & its still going strong.

• IMG_0775.jpeg
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: troutdude and Markk
Irishrover
Irishrover
Some 35 years ago I helped a buddy move to a new house. When we were finished, he handed me an aluminum rod case, and said here you like to fish why don't you take this and put it to use, I'm not into fishing. I took it home and found it was a Fenwick HGM Gff857 8'6" 7 weight. Never fly fished but thought I'd give the gift rod a try. Went out and bought a Pfluger Medalist 1595 1/2. Took some lessons a flyshop and watched a lot of Lefty Kreh VHS tapes. That was an awesome gift I received as it lead me to a lot of great times. Still in us today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: John3
John3
John3
Irishrover said:
Some 35 years ago I helped a buddy move t a new house. When we were finished, he handed me an aluminum rod case, and said here you like to fish why don't you take this and put it to use, I'm not into fishing. I took it home and found it was a Fenwick HGM Gff857 8'6" 7 weight. Never fly fished but thought I'd give the gift rod a try. Went out and bought a Pfluger Medalist 1595 1/2. Took some lessons a flyshop and watched a lot of Lefty Kerh VHS tapes. That was an awesome gift I received as it lead me a lot of great times. Still in us today.

. . . the old Feralite rods + Medalist reels were a match made in heaven . . .

troutdude
troutdude
YES!!! I've been fishing since 1966. Fenny's were my dad's favorite rods. So I've collected a few over the years; and I love them. In fact last weekend at Foster, I used 2 of my Fenny spinning rods to troll for trout and had a blast. I also have an SF 74-4 rod shown below--near mint--although mine is from Fenwick's Supreme Glass product line (S-Glass). I also had Brad Martin (RIP) at Albany's Two River Fly Shop replace the original guides, with Fuji guides.

Most peeps are unaware of Fenwick's foray into the S-Glass market. The main tell tale sign is a translucent, "honey colored", almost see through, rod blank. Which are hollow blanks. Another tell tale sign, that you have an S-Glass rod, is that the reel seat is typically a brass color. Versus the standard purple colored reel seats, and solid E-Glass blanks, which most folks are used to seeing/owning. The standard E-Glass rods are also known for the dark "beer-bottle" brown color.

Here's a link to a friend's site who literally wrote the book about Fenwick. I have 2 copies, as well as a copy on DVD. It's a fascinating read all about the founding, and historical changes, that the company made over the years. I also learned, from Vic's book, about how to tell what year a Fenny was built. The first digit of their serial numbers starts with a letter. A = 1960, B = 1961, C - 1962, and so on.

1693408852104.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Vintageflyguy, John3 and Irishrover
N
normf
I recently bought an Eagle Claw 6’6” 3 wt. fiberglass fly rod on sale at Sportsmans Warehouse for $25. It casts great with a 4 wt. double taper fly line. I have more expensive fly rods but this one puts a smile on my face. Small stream cutthroat put a bend in it but it has enough backbone to shoot line. It even roll casts.