Fly tying and patterns sharing thread

O
OnTheFly
Glad it's your camera and not my eyes. Brandon, doesn't your camera have a Macro setting? Macro allows for close up focusing.

brandon4455
brandon4455
not sure ill have to check, thanks jim.

V
Van
Ok, here is one i just came up with while tying free style. It isn't anything new or extraordinary, it certainly isn't a difficult tie. I just wanted to tie up something while not looking over a recipe in a book. I was trying to come up with something that perhaps a carp might like. No laughing....

Carpish.jpg

It did have legs at one point, but.... in the process of cutting them down to size they kept getting smaller and smaller while trying to make them all uniform. :doh:

F
FlyBum
Nice, :) you should stick a soft hackle in front of that bead, just a suggestion.

brandon4455
brandon4455
FlyBum said:
Nice, :) you should stick a soft hackle in front of that bead, just a suggestion.

Damn he beat me to it! van, adding a partridge feather would make it more appealing to a carp. nice tie!!

V
Van
FlyBum said:

brandon4455 said:
Damn he beat me to it! van, adding a partridge feather would make it more appealing to a carp. nice tie!!

I will follow your suggestions to improving my fly, gentlemen. Will post an updated pic when i get to it.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
hey randy, would you happen to know of a good substitute for seal? the closest thing i can find is hareline sts trilobal dubbing and im not sure it's a good one or not since ive never really had seal before.

Brandon

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks randy! ive also tried ice dub in my mini leech like pattern but i would like something that is a little less flashy.

M
mrlindeman
Recent ties by Karen and I. The fuzzy grizzly bear cattapilers arent something trout will eat, but they will hit them and reject them.

DSCN0018.png

Karens rubber legged Stone Fly
DSCN0015.png

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
nice ties you guys! randy, that chironomid looks great! i like the thread for wing buds idea, looks a lot easier then tying in brown biots. :cool:

F
FlyBum
Very interesting randy, did you put that bead on backwards?? I like the look it gives to the pattern :) Those Ice Cream cones work well on some other fish as well and on river, sometime, just don't tell any one. Is your last name Chan by any chance :lol:

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
Nice flys, guys...

F
FlyBum
Chan sure can fish,

Here's my hero :)

Last edited by a moderator:
M
mlw
Sinkline said:
I use some of that. Also, Angora Goat, and Semi Seal.
Randy

And there is Spirit River 'Pseudo-Seal' - here is a fly tied with it. The pattern is Harry Lemire's Golden Edge Orange. Homewaters in Eugene carries Pseudo-Seal.

golden_edge_orange_fly_d2332.jpg

F
FishFiddle
Way to go Michael, another Home Run!!