Fly tying and patterns sharing thread

brandon4455
brandon4455
FlyBum said:
That's a pretty hefty claim that you came up with that! I'm sure they have been around for a long time, never seen one myself though! :)

:lol:

V
Van
Nice looking stuff. Awesome Skwala, Flybum.

I have been working my way through all the flies in the tying manual that came with the Orvis fly tying kit i got for X-mas. I can say with certainty at this point that i really hate tying the Hare's Ear Nymph. I was tempted to throw the thing out the window a couple times. Im gonna give it a fair amount of time before i come back to that pattern again. I have loaded up on tying books so i have a good database of patterns now. I am always looking for more though. I am wanting to find a book that shows a lot of the more modern patterns that are tied with foam.

Best thing i have done though is replace the cheap clamp on vise with a Peak rotary vise with a pedestal. I really like that and it has made tying a lot easier. Keep up the good work gentlemen, i look to your ties for inspiration.

M
mrlindeman
The Willamette Mud Muddler Size 4 Humungo!
DSCN1211.png

brandon4455
brandon4455
mrlindeman said:
The Willamette Mud Muddler Size 4 Humungo!
DSCN1211.png

that fly will catch a lot of different fish. they can be pretty good on the swing for summer steel or stripped for smallmouth. nice tie!!

M
mrlindeman
Thanks man. that means a lot. Muddlers are difficult for me to tie.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
Sinkline said:
Great looking Muddler!

Back in the late 70s I used Muddlers to swing for trout in some of the smaller streams around the valley. It is a fish catching pattern for sure!

Randy
in size 6 to 10 with a gold tinsel body and a few strands of krystal flash in the wing, awesome pattern for cutthroat.

F
FlyBum
What did you use for the wing and tail??

M
mrlindeman
F
FlyBum
I really need to tie some stuff, but I'm busy moving! :mad:

brandon4455
brandon4455
ive been tying like a mad man stocking up for spring nymphing/ soft hackle swingin' ..and soon some egg sucking leeches for late winter fish.. i can't find out how to get a clear enough picture up close with my camera though..

F
FlyBum
brandon4455 said:
ive been tying like a mad man stocking up for spring nymphing/ soft hackle swingin' ..and soon some egg sucking leeches for late winter fish.. i can't find out how to get a clear enough picture up close with my camera though..

Send me some, I'll take some pix and then put them to use for you! :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
FlyBum said:
Send me some, I'll take some pix and then put them to use for you! :)

no way!!! my ties aren't even that good..not to the human eye anyway.. i have realized the fish don't care though. But, when i get my hooks and materials for leeches (might be 2 weeks before that happens) i can send you a few of those for sure. im damn good at tying egg sucking leeches. they are nothing special.

scratch that idea: i do have some pheasent tails i tie for march browns or just medium mayflies in general, send me your adress and it might take a bit but ill pm you when i get them sent out. maybe a few ice dub princes too.

Brandon

Last edited:
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
excellent tie randy :clap:

F
FlyBum
Simple, yet effective! :) Like it!

O
OnTheFly
Randy, How is your fly tied onto the tippet? Looks like some sort of wire clip and brass grommet.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
S
Sinkline

Last edited: