First fly as well...

H
halibuthitman
one thing you can do when you start tying is go to a flyshop and buy one fly to use as an example, to help gauge your proportions.. buy the ten patterns you want to tie and then as you go you have sort of a template to go off. a hackle gauge is definitely nice if your gonna tie dries- good luck

M
Modest_Man
Easiest fly ever? Probably. First flies from "Advanced Fly Tying" at OSU...

DSC_0005-7.jpg

DSC_0003-6.jpg

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Those will definitely catch fish. What size hooks - I'm thinking 16 or smaller? Nice pupae imitation.

M
Modest_Man
Yeah, they're size 16.

brandon4455
brandon4455
ahh the almighty zebra midge. good pattern for the crooked river.

G
GDBrown
Modest_Man said:
Easiest fly ever? Probably. First flies from "Advanced Fly Tying" at OSU...

DSC_0003-6.jpg

The last fish I check had a stomach full of these! You are on the right track. I need to get some of these for my next trip to the Lake. Fished right OFF the bottom these are killers. (or at least catchers)

GD

M
Modest_Man
Update!

P1020379.jpg

My tying has improved. Here's the last fly for my fly tying class...deer hair bass popper.

J
jimmy
Modest_Man said:

ugh... stacking hair is tough sometimes......

I tip I was told and have tried with success :

twist a 4" piece of pencil lead around the stem of your bobbin, so when it hangs it keeps the tension and makes it much easier to 'spin' the hair.

nice progress, lookin' good.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Good lookin' popper - that'll catch fish no probs!

C
cpeaslee
Modest_Man said:

Fish that either as your lead fly and a little soft hackle behind it and fish it all the way through the swing at the end of your drift. Very successful doing this for fish on the Deschutes, Metolius and Crooked. Nice job.

Modest_Man said:
P1020379.jpg

My tying has improved. Here's the last fly for my fly tying class...deer hair bass popper.
Nice job on that popper! Take that out to Hagg Lake and fish it shallow early in the am - you could have some very good results.

C
cowboysfan
nice to see you had the courage to post, it will be cool to see your flies as time goes bye and we see your pics! practice does help in perfection.

V
Van
waco said:
One time a bird crash in to my window and it looked just like that!

lol

Modest_Man said:
Yeah, it's supposed to be an adams.

Dont sweat it. Mine looks exactly like it. I got pissed off and set the pattern aside until next winter.