Coho salmon on the Columbia river

P
plunkme
im so in id love to have you guys teach me the correct way since im fairly newb with bank fishing

osmo is it better to have bb splitshots or is pencil lead fine?

O
osmosis
pencil lead works just fine, but be prepared to use pieces 1/4" or so in length. the largest you'll need unless the creek is blown out is 1/2 inch. a lot of people in there use WAAY too much lead and spend a good % of the day re-rigging..

sharp wire cutters work well at getting the pieces cut that small while not closing the hole.

B
beaverfan
Well I just realized that I'm probably not gonna be able to go. :( Is this gonna be a weekend deal? I would imagine it would be to get maximum turnout. I got season tickets for OSU football and they have a huge game on sept 19 and then the next saturday I have to go to a wedding. I wil be at EC a lot this fall so hopefully I'll get to see some of y'all out there.

K
Kodiak
beaverfan said:
Well I just realized that I'm probably not gonna be able to go. :( Is this gonna be a weekend deal? I would imagine it would be to get maximum turnout. I got season tickets for OSU football and they have a huge game on sept 19 and then the next saturday I have to go to a wedding. I wil be at EC a lot this fall so hopefully I'll get to see some of y'all out there.

Season tickets to watch the Beavs : way too much:cool:

Missing a game to fish Coho with the guys from OFF: Priceless!:clap:

B
beaverfan
Well normally I would agree but the tickets were a gift from my dad. I will see what I can do.

A
autofisher
Season vs Salmon

Season vs Salmon

beaverfan said:
Well normally I would agree but the tickets were a gift from my dad. I will see what I can do.

If he gave you tickets to watch the WHOLE season, you might be able to get away with selling the tickets to pay for an unforseen bill(buying tackle and bait:lol:) Anyway, if I had more than one game to go to, I'd take the fishin trip and hit the stadium for all the other games.

F
FishFinger
Like Osmosis mentiond conditions condusive to catching are the driving force behind the actual date. Stay tuned you never know when the weather window will open up..... Rain is Sept is anyones guess....

K
Kodiak
The count is at 7 over bonnie now....It is supposed to start raining and cool off this week...I hope the gill netters all get hit by lightning and thier nets burst into flames. Anybody know how to install razorblades on coho? It would make a few holes in nets I'm sure!

A
autofisher
I don't know how to install a razor blade on a fish, but I know how to install them on a remote controlled boat :D I wonder if they have remote controlled subs with a gill net targeting system.:think:

S
SNDSLGR
we should start something like the show Whale wars. Sabotage, Sabotage, Sabotage! Ha!

K
Kodiak
SNDSLGR said:
we should start something like the show Whale wars. Sabotage, Sabotage, Sabotage! Ha!

You can't say things like that in public and EXPECT to GET AWAY WITH IT. If a guy didn't say anyting and things happened to nets it would be a lot harder to figure it out..not saying I condone this kind of thing..but it happens. there is no real reason we can't put together a protest and get camera crews there. Use some tree hugger tactics, tick them off till they do something stupid on camera, hurl all the insults we can, blockade a boatramp. something unique.

F
FishSchooler
Something that is 100% natural/legal... Catch a coho, coat it with a sea lion attractant, let it get gill netted... sea lion + net=:shock:

A
autofisher
Yeah what do you tell the officer when he/she finds the waterproof chainsaw, that's been barreling through gill nets up and down the river, tied to a chain like it's being trolled behind your boat? I'd just say thanks for the help. It fell off about a mile down river and I've been fighting to get it back on board for the last hour or so..... But then again... I'm an angel. I wouldn't do that:mad:

S
SNDSLGR
Kodiak said:
You can't say things like that in public and EXPECT to GET AWAY WITH IT. If a guy didn't say anyting and things happened to nets it would be a lot harder to figure it out..not saying I condone this kind of thing..but it happens. there is no real reason we can't put together a protest and get camera crews there. Use some tree hugger tactics, tick them off till they do something stupid on camera, hurl all the insults we can, blockade a boatramp. something unique.

I agree, was just talking with the wife about this. She asked if that many more people where of typical hippie belief vs. people like me who follow bagging laws etc... I told here no, they are just more organized and willing to go stand in the weather for said beliefs, make themselves heard. Same can be said for logging, hunting, fishing, off road motorcycle and 4x4, etc...

Any real outdoorsman is interested in conservation, imo anyways.

F
FishSchooler
"Sorry, my anchor just wasn't heavy enough and it was sharpened by the rocks!" :lol:

D
dude young
SNDSLGR said:
I agree, was just talking with the wife about this. She asked if that many more people where of typical hippie belief vs. people like me who follow bagging laws etc... I told here no, they are just more organized and willing to go stand in the weather for said beliefs, make themselves heard. Same can be said for logging, hunting, fishing, off road motorcycle and 4x4, etc...

Any real outdoorsman is interested in conservation, imo anyways.

What most people do not understand is that there is a distinct difference between conservation and preservation. We could open up a huge can of worms here, but for the most part, I agree that most sportsman/woman are conservation minded. But, I will disagree, in that I believe we are far more dedicated and organized than the "hippie belief's". You will hunt and fish your entire life. Every year you are contributing to the conservation efforts just by buying your licenses and following the laws. I am sure the large majority of us belong to one conservation group or another. I have been a member of Duck Unlimited since the first season I began 'fowling. I donate, I volunteer, I educate. I plan on continuing until I die, and if I have anything worth giving after that, I will.

At some point, most people climb down out of their protest tree, graduate, get a job in an office, and buy an SUV. Granted, at least now they are buying hybrids, but they are no longer standing knee deep in a river, at a boat ramp, arm locked, in the pouring rain.

Now here's a thought. Anyone think that maybe it would be a good idea to fire an anonymous tip to the "save the spotted newt" types and make sure they know that there is an egregious gill net season on the horizon? Why not put our adversaries to work for us? All the while we are enjoying Coho Chaos 2009!

Heck, I might even supply the soy-carrot smoothies to keep them hydrated.

T
Troutier Bassier
FishSchooler said:
Something that is 100% natural/legal... Catch a coho, coat it with a sea lion attractant, let it get gill netted... sea lion + net=:shock:
Dude.... :lol: :lol:

A
autofisher
I was thinking the same thing. What if someone contacted the E.L.F. (Environmental Liberation Front) or another eco terrorist group and brought this issue to thier attention. In this generation of cell phones and internet, there should be a way to contact a group that would be willing to join our fight against the nets.

O
OnTheFly
Is Greenpeace still around? And didn't they like to get between Whales and harpoons? Gill netters should be a cake walk for those guys.:dance:

Last edited:
K
Kodiak
So back to the other business at hand. Should be some good pumper tides this week, Who's gonna ding the first 'ho of the season this year and how big?
And whens it going to be caught?