Braid?

H
HRxPaperStacks
So it looks like I need a new reel.... My Abu Garcia saw it's last hurrah this weekend. I'm considering lining it up with some braid, but I have a question: with the braid, should I use a uni knot to tie on some florocarbon so that it's not right there with my bait?

T
troutmasta
I use a swivel for most applications.
Palomar on the braid side.
How do you plan on fishing it?

H
HRxPaperStacks
For salmon/steelhead so drift, bobber and jig, plunking, plugs, spinners and spoons. Additionally do you have any recommendations for braid?

E
eugene1
I also use a swivel in between the braid and leader (maxima mono 99% of the time).

I use hi vis power pro. 65# for salmon or 50# for steel in my boat.

What's your new reel? Sorry your Abu died, I have a bunch of them and they seem to be able to take a licking and hold up.

Best,

A
alm21
Uni to uni knot for braid to a 6-9ft mono bumper. Then swivel to whatever leader of choice. Bumper adds needed stretch, reduces visibility and prolongs life of braid.

I like 20-30lb yellow tuff line for drift/float. Yellow is good for seeing your line while drift and float fishing. For boat rods, such as pulling plugs or trolling, I use the dark green.

When I do tie braid to a swivel, I use the Berkley Braid Knot.

Last edited:
H
HRxPaperStacks
Dunno what reel. I actually messed the reel up a few years ago when I put in carbon fiber drag discs and stripped a screw (I know... I was young and naive) and I let the rig sit in a garage for 5 yeRs because I never went fishing. I'm hoping for another Abu.

D
DrTheopolis
Hi-vis is pretty helpful, depending on application. For plugs or bobbers, I use a swivel and mono leader. Not a fan of braid for spinners, since I like to tie directly for small hardware. But if the technique requires a leader(bobber, barbarian drift fishing, plunking, etc), hi-vis with as light a leader as you think you can get away with.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I use a uni to uni knot and run 6-10 feet of mono leader. I also don't fill the reel entirely with braid - I fill it half way with mono backing, top with braid. Reason being is that 1.) I use less braid that way and 2.) braid is slippery stuff and slides around the spool. Using mono backing prevents this. I use the same lb test mono for backing as I use on leader - typically 10lb. That gives me about 150 feet of braid (more than enough, usually) on top of 30 yards of mono on my bait casters. I have a trout rod setup with braid also - 6lb mono backing, 15lb braid (4lb diameter) with a 4 or 6lb leader - sometimes I use flouro for this leader, but typically I use fly fishing tippet (which is typically stronger for it's diameter than regular mono) for my leaders.

A
alm21
GungasUncle said:
I fill it half way with mono backing, top with braid. Reason being is that 1.) I use less braid that way and 2.) braid is slippery stuff and slides around the spool. Using mono backing prevents this.

Yep

H
HRxPaperStacks
Wow that's genius. I gotta try that.

J
JonT
Spinning reel setup: 1 or 2 good wraps of 8# mono, then mainline 10# PowerPro, then a 6-8' 10# fluorocarbon leader attached with a triple-surgeon loop.

O
outdoorgb
Maybe a dumb question but I'm new to braided lines...picked up a spool to put on a salmon/steelhead rod. Will do a mono backing.
Question: how do you guys run a long (8'-10') bumper with a swivel and still cast? You don't put that swivel through the eyes?

A
alm21
outdoorgb said:
Maybe a dumb question but I'm new to braided lines...picked up a spool to put on a salmon/steelhead rod. Will do a mono backing.
Question: how do you guys run a long (8'-10') bumper with a swivel and still cast? You don't put that swivel through the eyes?

You connect the mono bumper to the braid main line with a uni-to-uni knot. That will cast through your eyelets. Then you connect the swivel/leader or terminal gear at the end of the bumper. Make sense?

O
outdoorgb
That makes sense....thanks

S
Steeliekiller
Get an Abu c3, much more durable than a c4. I use a c3 that's been around for about 20 years and still works great.

J
JonT
outdoorgb said:

I prefer a surgeon knot for that very reason.

M
mikeee2362
If you wrap the spool with a piece of electrical tape the braid won't slip around it, but mono backing will let you get 2 spoolings out of a 150 yard spool of braid. Uni to uni mono to braid. I've been using the yellow p-line floating 20-30# thermobonded on my float rod, under that I use a braid backing, with a wrap of electrical tape on the spool, so I can get as much of the floating on as possible because I'm constantly cutting off the last 6 feet or so as it gets beat up. But that gets tied to a flouro bumper uni to uni then my swivel and leader. The bumper let's me slide my bobberstop without messing up the thermobond, and the thermo is really easy to see and mend