Beginner kayak fishing salmon

M
mustardthetrout
I've been fishing for all sorts of things out of my kayak for awhile and want to try targeting salmon from the yak. I've caught them out on the ocean while targeting bottom fish but I've never specifically fished for them from a kayak. I was wondering if anyone knew some good places to fish for salmon from a kayak in Oregon. Any advice is appreciated.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I highly recommend you talk with Rogerdodger. He knows yaks! :thumb:

C_Run
C_Run
You should go to that clinic ^^. All the coastal estuaries will be good in the next couple of months. Try trolling spinners or herring with standard set up with a flasher.If you have not joined the NWKA forum, you should. There is a ton of information and lots of people in Portland to fish with and learn from.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
mustardthetrout said:
I've been fishing for all sorts of things out of my kayak for awhile and want to try targeting salmon from the yak. I've caught them out on the ocean while targeting bottom fish but I've never specifically fished for them from a kayak. I was wondering if anyone knew some good places to fish for salmon from a kayak in Oregon. Any advice is appreciated.

trolling for nooks, I like to fish tidewater areas that allow me to use the tide to my advantage. here for example, I usually want to be at the RR bridge at high slack, so I will launch 2 hours before high, troll upriver through some very productive water and spend high slack at the bridge, then an hour trolling back to the launch. each system is different but this is the sort of pattern that I would look for. when coho are in the mix, then I look for places to cast spinners for them, perhaps trolling spinners between casting locations...cheers, roger

M
mustardthetrout
Thank you! This is all very helpful.

C
cdat
I'd head over to here, (http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/) as said in the earlier post. Lots of good folks willing to help new yak fisherman out. Right know, B10 is hot, although, I wouldn't head out there until you have more experience, that place can get crazy enough in a PB, let alone in a yak. Living in Portland, lots of salmon fishing in the spring on the W, multinomah channel, and the Big C. The gentleman that is putting on the clinic on Tue, puts on several other salmon and other clinics during the year. Good luck, hope I see you out there.
John

B
Billamicasr
You may also want to become familiar with Next Adventure in PDX. Those guys are holding periodic pelagic seminars regarding catching those things in your back yard (so to speak).

Last seminar I went to was at Hogs JoMar Tackle (362 SW Oak St, Hillsboro, OR 97123 Phone:(971) 245-6284) they have "everything" you will need to catch salmon. Lots of info at that store and the people who frequent the place are often kayakers and very easy to speak to.