Bank springers

K
kmarsh49
Anybody having any luck bank fishing for springers on the Columbia? Thinking about making a run to Jones beach tomorrow from Warrenton, but don't want to make the trip if no ones catching anything.

T
Troutslayerjenn
I was thinking the same thing. My dad wants to head out Thursday and take the boat out. But I don't really want to take the day off if nothing is happening.

Any feedback would be great!

S
Seahawkfan
Make the trip and let us know.

S
sapo
Might be good

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
sapo said:
It's pretty early and bonneville's only getting about 30-40 fish a day, so not many fish are in the C right now.

Ahhhh, young Padawan. So much to learn. The bulk of the early run is heading up the Willy, so Bonny counts won't be high. There's a bunch of them in the Bigun, and people are catching. Particularly on the Willy, but the storms probably brought the turbidity up.

The bulk of one's efforts for the next week or two should be below Kelley Point on the C.

If one had a boat and knows big river technique, it surely isn't a waste of time. People are catching every day.

The freshet will bring a ton of fish in.

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
Mostly just bustin your chops.

From all I hear, it certainly isn't red-hot. But there's fish, and they're being caught every day. I'm guessing mostly by the more experienced Columbia/Willy anglers (which I'm not).

I'm thinking if I was itching to go after springers, I think I'd focus my efforts in the Willy, although I abhor the Oregon City Zoo. Just not fun to me. Or hit the C somewhere below the Willy (most of the Columbia fishing I've done is upstream of there).

Then again, I haven't seen the conditions on the Willy since the rain -- could be a bit colored up. I think one of my friends was going today, so if I hear a report, I'll pass it on.

D
DrTheopolis
Heard from my friend -- the Willy was a no-go. Muddy and lots of debris. He drifted the Clack instead, which he said was a hair colored-up. Didn't touch a fish, although he's been doing quite well on other recent trips. Sounds like it will be in good shape tomorrow.

All secondhand info, of course.

M
Midgie Hater
What about the Sandy? I assume it will get a run of springers at some point too then? Would it be worth a shot (ok it's always worth getting on the river - well, mostly...) in the next week-or-so? I was planning to have a look on Thursday. I tried to persuade my wife that she would love to spend tomorrow (her Birthday) watching me cast into a void while she barbecues some steak, but for some reason it didn't seem to appeal...

D
DrTheopolis
The Sandy gets springers, but probably not in good numbers for at least a month or so. But the odds of catching one go up dramatically when you have a line in the water.

M
Midgie Hater
DrTheopolis said:
the odds of catching one go up dramatically when you have a line in the water.

So that's where I've been going wrong all these years :highly_amused:

Ah, so we're looking at the middle to the end of April then. Thanks for the heads-up. I assume there'll still be steelhead in the system and perhaps more to come soon if there's been a reasonable amount of water after the rains, although I read that Sandy levels can often be more about conditions on the mountain depending on the time of year. Anyway, wrong forum for steelhead, but thanks again for the salmon tip. Much appreciated.

D
DrTheopolis
Mid-late April is still early, but there will be a few. And the beauty of it, is that's about when the summers will show. The Sandy (which I rarely, if ever fish), and its buddy the Clack(which I fish a ton) have year-round fishing.

M
Midgie Hater
Yes, I'd read that the summer runs begin around that time too. It's helpful to have at least a rough idea of when to think about fishing for certain species and runs, so thanks again. Yes, I'd heard that about the Sandy. Haven't been to the Clack yet but that will definitely change this year.

P
plumb2fish
Sandy-June,July....for springers...later run, very few fish since plants have been all but eliminated

N
Native Fisher
plumb2fish said:
Sandy-June,July....for springers...later run, very few fish since plants have been all but eliminated

I guess the hot spot will be 126 in a few years huh lol

D
DrTheopolis
plumb2fish said:
very few fish since plants have been all but eliminated

They release hundreds of thousands of springer smolts in the Sandy.

N
Native Fisher
DrTheopolis said:

I thought the law suit they lost last year or year before last eliminated most of them?

T
Troutslayerjenn
Well we went out yesterday and tried our luck in a boat near the sandy. Marked lots of fish...not sure what they all were but we had no luck. We did however see about 15 seals and a few has salmon so there are some there. Ya just have to get em before the seals do.

D
DrTheopolis
Native Fisher said:
I thought the law suit they lost last year or year before last eliminated most of them?

NFS and the other outfits lost that lawsuit, rather miserably. There were some smolts held back while the case was pending.

Smolt releases will continue as planned on the MacKenzie and Sandy. But it was ruled that the fisheries managers must try to mitigate hatchery and wild fish interbreeding (in a nutshell).

M
Modest_Man
DrTheopolis said:

Shhh.

S
SailCat
Dr. T. knows of what he speaks, sapo. This is sage advice.

DrTheopolis said:
... the odds of catching one go up dramatically when you have a line in the water.

And thanks on the plug for TGF; we try!