Alsea River fishing reports

S
Steelyfishn
Hey lilsalmon, I think on page 13 or 14 of this thread a few of us posted site information so you can check the water levels. The 1 I posted was oregonh2o.com. For me that site is easy to access info on the alsea and siletz + a list of all the oregon rivers. Check it out and you will see what I mean. Good luck out there and Happy New Year Everyone !!!

L
lilsalmon
Steelyfishn said:
Hey lilsalmon, I think on page 13 or 14 of this thread a few of us posted site information so you can check the water levels. The 1 I posted was oregonh2o.com. For me that site is easy to access info on the alsea and siletz + a list of all the oregon rivers. Check it out and you will see what I mean. Good luck out there and Happy New Year Everyone !!!

Thanks...I probably seen that before but some details pass over my head. Decided not to hit the Alsea and instead checked out the Santiam at the rest area...wow...thats the highest I have ever seen it, I am sure its been higher but since I been going there thats the highest...will have a video and some pictures to post on the other thread just for s***s and giggles

M
Mike123
Yea, at least there are fish in the Alsea..

L
lilsalmon
true that......the reason I want to go there and learn the water...only been there once and I loved it....seems I always go the other direction tho....

S
Salmonhungry
Fished the North Fork today, Water high and brown. I landed a 6lb Native and saw two other fish hooked and lost. Not too many folks out as it was pouring all day. Should be good fishing as soon as it clears some.

S
steelhead1
thought I would give a report on the n fork alsea.Fishing is slow according to most peaple I have talked to in the last three days.I have seen several fish landed around Clemens,Dont know about the meat hole at the hatchery (We keep our distance).Between my buddy and I,we have hooked four and landed two.The water is perfect color and flow now IMO,probably gonna go again in the morning.Small corkies and egg/puffballs have been what we are using:D

S
simpsoti
I'll be headed out there tomorrow morning as well. Have not been out there in a week or so. Last time I went I did not even get my rod out of the car. Figure if fishing is good I'll skip class tomorrow, if not give it another shot saturday. Levels are looking pretty decent to me. Worth a shot

M
Mike123
What's up with this years run?? Have heard of no good reports. We've landed one fish between two people on four trips now lost a few. Heard of very FEW good reports or even fish being caught. And wow, lots of natives this year all over the coast!

S
simpsoti
Where do most guys fish around Clemmons??? I have walked through there and did not see to many spots that i figured were worth a whole lot of my time. Most of the trails down to the river lead to spots I did not think were too promising.

M
Mike123
simpsoti said:
Where do most guys fish around Clemmons??? I have walked through there and did not see to many spots that i figured were worth a whole lot of my time. Most of the trails down to the river lead to spots I did not think were too promising.

All the spots that have trails going to them. Quite a few places to fish.
Some spots may be more productive than others. :D But most the spots that have trails to them hold fish.

B
bigsteel
fished the north fork alsea yesterday,,,what a great place i had a nice bite on but that was it,,,saw one guy with a nice steely and heard of four being taken,,,,i was at the meat hole,,,thats what the guy told me it was called...very nice people over ther i will definitely be headin back..:):):)hey mike is honeygrove decent for bank angling

G
GDBrown
Low return/catch rate

Low return/catch rate

From what I've observed this year most of the coastal rivers have either been blown out or low and clear for most of the run so far. I'm seeing all the river levels being about right for productive fishing today and maybe tomorrow morning before the next freshet comes in. If it is not too much rain tomorrow then Saturday should be great on all the coastal rivers. As for the high number of natives I was under the impression that ODFW changed their hatchery stock to be late returning fish compared to the Nat's. Has anyone else heard this?

M
Mike123
bigsteel said:
fished the north fork alsea yesterday,,,what a great place i had a nice bite on but that was it,,,saw one guy with a nice steely and heard of four being taken,,,,i was at the meat hole,,,thats what the guy told me it was called...very nice people over ther i will definitely be headin back..:):):)hey mike is honeygrove decent for bank angling

Hmm ya know that's one place I never really fish. :think: Steelhead1 probably knows.

S
simpsoti
Heading out to the Alsea here in a few hours. The flow is looking better than expected. Looks the rain held off more than expected. Had two hookups on friday, hoping to get two to the bank today. See ya out there.

F
FishFiddle
I'm new here....first post....I fished the Bridge yesterday and saw a total of 13 sticks with a total of 2 steelies, both were bright.

S
steelhead1
indeed there have been a lot of "natives" caught recently.I hear from guys that know the river that the big return of the clippers will start later this year.we have done well over there the last couple of days,but all fish landed had addi-fins:think:

S
simpsoti
Heading over to the Alsea tomorrow morning. Have not heard anything good recently, but i've gotta make it back for class at 1 so I've gotta stay close to home. Water is not looking idea, but not bad. Hoping to stumble into a fish or two. Anyone else headed that way this weekend or heard any reports?

J
JeannaJigs
I'm thinking of taking the boat up Sunday but I dunno yet.

S
simpsoti
Got out there this morning a touch after 7, did my usual drive by of the hatchery hole (25 trucks in the lot, guys all lined up waiting for light). River was a bit higher than I prefer, could have used 1 more day with no rain. Headed down to one of my favorite spots down by Mill Cr., Water was high and after a half hour headed back upstream. Fished my way back up to the 34 bridge by 9:30 or so. Say a few guys carrying fish by this time. Back at the bridge, the place was packed. Lots of guys fishing, every hole had a handful of guys fishing it. Being from southern oregon, I have little patience with fishing crowds. So i headed home by 10. Stopped by the traps on the way out, to my surprise there were a good number of fish in them. Just glanced over but in about 4 pens i saw there were probably close to 100 fish. (Anyone know how often they process the fish???? Is that a few days worth of fish coming in?).

Weather was good, no rain while was there. Supposed to get some later in the day. Talked to a guy who said the paper reported the fishing was hot, and hence the heavy crowds. Nothing exciting to report this trip, probably give it a shot on sunday or monday.

J
JeannaJigs
sweet! good to know. I might have to head up there Sunday since I just got my car back and can tow my boat again.