Alsea River fishing reports

C
Chedster
This morning would have been the time to hit it. Looks like its gonna blow out with this rain. To bad with the three day weekend coming up for me, I'll be confined to my school books!

S
steelhead_stalkers
Started pouring around 9:30 or 10:00 out of nowhere and the water started coming up. Daniel got a little 6lb hen that had sea lice on it and it put up a great fight! We saw one other fish on the bank and heard of one or two others hooked but that was it. Kind of slow and rainy!

S
steelhead1
guess that fly!

guess that fly!

So it seems that fishing a fly rod is the way to go lately on the N alsea.I watched a guy hook up three times in less than twenty minutes,in three different holes.I watched the same guy do the same thing last week, too.I got a chance to talk to him,he claims to have landed over forty fish since the first of the year,fishes every day though.He ended the day with five fish banked.The dude was VERY secretive about what he was using,kept the fly hidden in his hand the whole time.said it was an "egg pattern"but I am skeptical.Anyway,I ended up hooking three and banking my biggest steelhead yet,36"l,17"g,est. 15lb!The water was perfect color and flow,gonna go again in the morn if it doesn't rain too much:D

M
Mike123
Yea i seen this guy last that would literally hike almost the entire stretch from private property down with a fly rod. He was hooking fish like mad on an "egg pattern" and a big balloon type strike indicator.
Can't wait to skip school Thursday and bring home some more meat and hopefully eggs! :dance:

S
steelhead1
betcha thats the same guy! did you actually see the "egg pattern"?

M
Mike123
steelhead1 said:
betcha thats the same guy! did you actually see the "egg pattern"?

NOPE! haha.. He was just hauling butt down river castin and blastin! Down at the rope swing hole tail out he hooked 3 fish in about 15min. After I seen guys fish it all morning with nothing. I worked hard all day for two fish, and that guy got 3 in 15min. :lol:

S
steelhead_stalkers
Egg patterns and beads under indicators are very effective at the right times.

R
RIVERFISHER
steelhead_stalkers said:
Egg patterns and beads under indicators are very effective at the right times.

Or floating little jigs like yours On a fly rod...seems to be nailin em and landin a lot of fish at the meathole.. My buddy told me... He said the locals don't take likely to him glyfishin there tho even.. Just cause he always has fish banked...

S
steelhead_stalkers
Yeah, thats an option too. :lol: There just might be something to fishing small jigs and fly's. :) Did you get my PM about jigs RIVERFISHER?

R
RIVERFISHER
steelhead_stalkers said:
Yeah, thats an option too. :lol: There just might be something to fishing small jigs and fly's. :) Did you get my PM about jigs RIVERFISHER?
Yes sir and was just gonna put my order in.. Thanks a ton.. Gonna figure how many I want.. And colors.. Might just let unsend me ur fav colors tho lol.. Thanks again..

S
steelheadstalker31
Chad and I hit the river hard all day today. We heard of a few fish being caught. Talked to probably the same fly guy with the egg pattern. He said he did good in the Clemens stretch. Chad ended the day by hooking a nice bright buck 8lb or so on a Chartruse jig. Which I am sure he will post pics of as soon as he gets home in 20min or so. The water looked good, we were just a step behind the fish all day.

S
steelhead1
every hatchery fish I have landed this year had that same deformity on the lip/beak.Is it a genetic thing,or an injury,or what?anyone know?

S
steelheadstalker31
They clip that part of the jaw when they are smolts so they can identify them as a brat or a brood stock. One has one side clipped and the other has both sides clipped. I'm not sure which is which.

M
Mike123
Yea that's a broodstock fish. Right Maxilary clip. Two of my fish this year have been broodstock. Was suppose to go with Jeanna today, but I went to the ER last night instead. So Saturday and Sunday Ima get out there!

S
steelhead_stalkers
Whats up with the baby brood stock fish!? It was not that big.

M
Mike123
steelhead_stalkers said:
Whats up with the baby brood stock fish!? It was not that big.

Didn't eat his "ocean wheaties"... :lol:

S
simpsoti
Headed out there tomorrow for my usual friday morning study break. Sounds like its picked up a little bit this week. Let ya know how it goes.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Good luck, we are going elsewhere!! :cool:

S
simpsoti
I would probably go elsewhere as well but gotta make it back to town in time for class at 1PM so i've gotta stay close to home. Morning on the river is better than sleeping in

S
steelhead_stalkers
For sure and even if the fishing is slow it is a beautiful river, other than the people without any teeth. :D