30 lb carp on the fly

F
FlyBum
Van said:
Woot. We have a celebrity among us.

I wouldn't go that far, I've been on it too, same with my buddy Brando.

J
john montana
A few years ago I won the slab of the year contest with an orange koi...pretty sure that 30 lber has no chance of winning. they get some slobs for that contest now.

V
Van
FlyBum said:
I wouldn't go that far, I've been on it too, same with my buddy Brando.

You might not be a celebrity, but you are my hero... /face_swoon

J
john montana
Found this guy today:
63bd0f5b.jpg

And a crap ton of his buddies...

Reactions: mahmichael
S
steelhead_slayer
Im jealous :clap::clap:

M
mahmichael
Very nice carps. To tell you the truth, I don't mind eating carps, so I may start fishing for them soon!
Just curious, why do you cover your face? Is that because of the smell? flies?

J
john montana
mahmichael said:
Just curious, why do you cover your face?

I get sunburnt easily, and i hate sunscreen (plus carp are sensitive to smells and the sunscreen gets on your line, flies, etc.) so I wear the buff instead. I stopped using sunscreen years ago and just cover up with a hat, buff, long sleeves and sun gloves. Works well...

V
Van
They might not look like it, but when you are standing in the water in the blazing sun, it really does help keep you cooler. Plus keeps you from getting burnt. I have 5 of them.

Reactions: mahmichael
brandon4455
brandon4455
Wow. nice fish! that one looks like it almost became dinner for something. what do you suppose damaged that fish?

J
john montana
Probably a propeller, but who knows.

On another note, anyone interested in buying a sage vt2 9 ft 6 inch 7 wt? I never use it, way too nice of a rod for a backup.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
I'd wear a Buff too to hide my face if I was fishing for crap. :lol:

Swing up a steelhead or hoist a nice brown and I won't pick on carp as much!

J
john montana
FlyBum said:

I go by John Montana because I grew up in MT...I've caught my share of browns (and bulls). Caught plenty of summer steelhead as well, though i haven't caught a winter yet. Made my first attempts this past winter but no joy. I fish for carp because they are awesome, not because i struggle to catch trout or steelhead.

C
ChezJfrey
FlyBum said:
I'd wear a Buff too to hide my face if I was fishing for crap. :lol:

Speaking of crap, I don't think you'd be flickin' john any if you saw some of the other fish that guy has nabbed on the fly. I gather he's got plenty of skills with other species.

V
Van
Im sure Flybum is just having a laugh.

C
ChezJfrey
F
FlyBum
:lol:

G
GDBrown
That is a real big fish!

That is a real big fish!

:shock:I drove by John yesterday as he was leaving the water and it was not a great day for fishing. Twenty to thirty mile an hour winds in the gorge and beyond. :mad: I stopped to introduce myself and say Hi. It was nice to meet you, John.

Fishing my way to Utah has been a bust so far. The wind never let up all night while camping at the mouth of the Deschutes and the trains were that much louder with the wind blowing the sound in my direction. I may be hitting Brownlee tomorrow since everywhere I stopped today was blowing a gale and then some. I stopped at three different places in the morning and didn't bother to get the fly rod out of the case. In the afternoon I fished Powder River for a while and landed a few small trout. I'm in Ontario tonight wondering about the Owyhee or Brownlee for tomorrow morning.:think:

GD