125 brood trout to be stocked in Blue Lake, but no access to them since the park is closed till spring

troutdude
troutdude
ODFW used to have a phone line. Option 1
Mentioned every place that was listed to be stocked any given week. Option 2 gave actual confrontations, once stocking was done. They stopped doing it during Covid. But have yet to bring back that service.

It’s the age old adage: pay more fees - get fewer services.

W
WHERES THE FISH
Went to St.Louis pond on Sat. Feb 10. Got a late start. Did not get fishin til 9:00. Not real crowded. The 7 fish i saw caught looked like trophies not BROODS. aound 19 inches. I had a couple bumps on Kastmasters and 2 big older Broods chase down my oange berkley power worms. All in all a BEAUTIFUL day but no real action. I was told stocked on Wednesday. !000 trophies may be stocked the week of FEB12-16

troutdude
troutdude
WHERES THE FISH said:
Went to St.Louis pond on Sat. Feb 10. Got a late start. Did not get fishin til 9:00. Not real crowded. The 7 fish i saw caught looked like trophies not BROODS. aound 19 inches. I had a couple bumps on Kastmasters and 2 big older Broods chase down my oange berkley power worms. All in all a BEAUTIFUL day but no real action. I was told stocked on Wednesday. !000 trophies may be stocked the week of FEB12-16
At least you didn’t get skunked.

If you look at the online ODFW stocking schedule the list includes dink size and number / trophy size appx. 15” - 19” and number / brooders and number.

Brooders aren’t stocked often. There are far less brooders than other size slots. So if brooders are your game, then you need to look at the stocking schedule.

P.S. ODFW, BTW, never guarantee's a specific day of the week that a stocking occurs. And sometimes a scheduled water body, gets none at all. Due to staff shortages, equipment break down, etc. Which is another good reason that ODFW should again start their confirmation line IMO.

Last edited:
W
WHERES THE FISH
Salish pond was stocked today Monday feb.12 . About 11:30. Nice fish--Active bitters. Bait and lures 500 trophys

Reactions: ‘TroutMaster, Markk and troutdude
O
olshiftybiscuits
Snopro said:
ODFW should follow WDFWs lead and report when they have been stocked, instead of a rough estimate of when they possible could be stocked?

Both have their faults. WDFW tells you when it was stocked, but only after the fact. No planning in advance. ODFW tells you months in advance but gives a range instead of a specific date.

I’m not sure how it’s helpful to know the exact date of a stocking if it’s already happened.

S
Snopro
olshiftybiscuits said:
I’m not sure how it’s helpful to know the exact date of a stocking if it’s already happened.
So you can fish a body of water full of 10lbers and not a barren lake that hasn't been stocked for 10 months.

‘TroutMaster
‘TroutMaster
WHERES THE FISH said:
Salish pond was stocked today Monday feb.12 . About 11:30. Nice fish--Active bitters. Bait and lures 500 trophys
any body have recent success? i’m thinking of going on saturday

W
WHERES THE FISH
Snopro --Your 100% right. In the old days ODFW would tell you what DAY they were stocked and WHAT TIME. Now its a big secret.I workedM_F in the old days. Now I am retired and have to GUESS what day they were stocked. I keep a record of what day of the week they stocked last year-----They pretty much follow the same SCRIPT as to what day they DUMP. The exact date of the stockingusually is pretty good the next day. Need to catch your fish---before the Poacher get to them. Turn them in--They are stealing YOUR fish.

Reactions: troutdude
O
olshiftybiscuits
Snopro said:
So you can fish a body of water full of 10lbers and not a barren lake that hasn't been stocked for 10 months.
I mean, it’s not that different in Oregon. You just wait until the end of the week.

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal and troutdude
W
WHERES THE FISH
If you wait the POACHERS will have cleaned it out..St. Louis pond---Poachers paradise. Seen a lot of guys come down with a bucket . Catch their limit and come back later that day at St. Louis and Salish . Called State police-didn't seem to care much

S
Snopro
olshiftybiscuits said:
I mean, it’s not that different in Oregon. You just wait until the end of the week.
Not really. They often don't plant when or what is on the schedule. It's just an estimate. In WA you 100% know the deed has been done.

O
olshiftybiscuits
Snopro said:
Not really. They often don't plant when or what is on the schedule. It's just an estimate. In WA you 100% know the deed has been done.

Yes, but you know the deed is done after the fact. If I want to plan a trip a few weeks or a month out, I don’t have even a general idea of when a lake might be stocked. Both systems are flawed. I personally prefer being able to plan in advance.

O
olshiftybiscuits
WHERES THE FISH said:
If you wait the POACHERS will have cleaned it out..St. Louis pond---Poachers paradise. Seen a lot of guys come down with a bucket . Catch their limit and come back later that day at St. Louis and Salish . Called State police-didn't seem to care much

Yeah that happens at all stocked urban lakes everywhere. Everyone has an equal opportunity to be first at the lake after it’s stocked. If the scene at these types of ponds makes you angry, I’d suggest branching out beyond waterbodies within earshot of a major highway.

S
Snopro
olshiftybiscuits said:
If I want to plan a trip a few weeks or a month out, I don’t have even a general idea of when a lake might be stocked.
Sure you do. WA uses both systems. They give you a planting schedule for the year then let you know when they actually do it. As should OR.

So you like to plan in advance. Isn't it frustrating to follow the OR schedule, get to the lake and discover ODFW didn't follow through? You'd know in WA.

Last edited:
O
olshiftybiscuits
Snopro said:
Sure you do. WA uses both systems. They give you a planting schedule for the year then let you know when they actually do it. As should OR.

So you like to plan in advance. Isn't it frustrating to follow the OR schedule, get to the lake and discover ODFW didn't follow through? You'd know in WA.

Washington’s year long stocking schedule gives you the month to expect stocking. That’s barely helpful. If I don’t know the specific week, what good is that information for advanced planning? Again, I won’t actually know until after the deed is done. Other issues with the Washington yearly schedule are that it’s an unsearchable mess that you have to sift through by hand to find information that’s barely information. Furthermore, it goes March to March, so the 2024 schedule isn’t available until April. Again, this makes planning in advance hard.

Both systems have flaws.

troutdude
troutdude
Other than ODFW no longer having a confirmation line to call...to what "flaws" are you referring?

Last edited:
Reactions: Snopro
W
WHERES THE FISH
Mt. hood pond scheduled to be stocked this week -was not. Called ODFW said NO CONFIRMATION. Grand kids disappointed.

• Sad
S
Snopro
WHERES THE FISH said:
Mt. hood pond scheduled to be stocked this week -was not. Called ODFW said NO CONFIRMATION. Grand kids disappointed.
It's a shame ODFW doesn't use the WDFW system so you could put the GKs on some real (not theoretical) fish. It's like Schrödinger's trout.

I've run into the same issue trying to get my nephew hooked into brooders.

troutdude
troutdude
WHERES THE FISH said:
Sorry for the disappointment (especially for the kids). But, just because it is on the schedule is no guarantee. Trucks break down, employees call in sick, etc. So there is never any guarantee unfortunately. Been there; done that. And it kinda stinks...especially when getting up a o'dark thirty and traveling for a spell to get there. But it is what it is.

S
Snopro
I can think of an easy solution.😄