Fishing related jobs?

S
sapo
I've been thinking about, after college, getting a fishing-related job. However, I'm not sure what kind of job I should get that makes a decent amount of money. I was thinking about owning a fly shop someday, but I'm not sure how much money owning a small fly/fishing shop makes...? Are there any fishing-related jobs that pay a good amount of money? I definitely plan on going to college so if it requires some fancy degree I'm fine with that. Any help? Thanks!

O
OnTheDrop
There's a lot of jobs out there that are fishing related... But my best advice is to not worry about the money. If you can pay the bills, and love your job, your not working at all.

If money is your thing... I'd probably pick a different focus.

troutdude
troutdude
SteelmonKiller20 said:
There's a lot of jobs out there that are fishing related... But my best advice is to not worry about the money. If you can pay the bills, and love your job, your not working at all.

If money is your thing... I'd probably pick a different focus.

^^^spot on!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Get a sales job with a territory that covers your favorite rivers and lakes. The money can be good AND you can fish your favorite spots regularly.

That's what I did. Not on purpose but it worked out that way.

Make sure you are competent rowing a drift boat so you can take clients fishing, call it work and write off the expenses.

Aervax
Aervax
If I had a "do over" it would definitely be an engineering degree. It pays really well. You will always have new job opportunities. And engineers are needed all over the world. You could live anywhere and fish wherever you happen to choose to go next. All of the rod and reel and lure and boat and fish finder manufacturers have engineers designing their stuff, and then figuring out how to build in quality at a cost that will sell well. Those types of companies exist everywhere in the country as well as all over the world. Just don't forget your friends at OFF. Share some of your test lures and prototypes with us to try out in the field once you are a successful designer!

S
sapo
Thanks for the replies! Ya steelmonkiller, I'm not really looking to make a lot of money, just enough to make a living. Because, like you said, if my work was related to fishing, I wouldn't mind it at all! In fact, I'd love it. Thanks again.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I have a friend that went to Mt Hood Community College back in the late 1960. He took a course of study in fisheries management and went to work for the Oregon Fish Commission (later to become ODF&W). He put in a thirty year career with them and loved his job. He worked in various parts of the state and learned a lot about fish and the best part he knows some great fishing spots. Now that he is retired we hit the lower Columbia and the ocean together a lot. Part of the reason he like the job was he spent a lot of tie outdoors.

N
Native Fisher
I'm 38 and I still struggle with decisions like this. I don't want to be a guide, mostly because I don't have the patience for it. I think I just want to be a paid fishing buddy lol. I was a year into a natural resources degree when I realized the field is completely saturated with people trying for the same thing. I I have a decent job, pays the bills and if we are careful we can get money into the bank every month. I work weekends so I get prime mid week fishing days off. My advice is to get a job that allows you the finacial freedom to buy your fishing stuff and take time off to enjoy your hobby.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Lots of really good advice given! One thing you need to figure out in choosing a career, which may change over time, is researching what your daily work routine will be. Also, if you choose a certain profession you're not stuck with it for life. Good luck in what ever you decide.

M
Modest_Man
If you have specific fisheries related questions feel free to PM me. I've worked in a fisheries related field for the last few years. I will say that my wife, with her business degree, makes over twice what I do. She also sits at a desk all day while I'm out playing with fish.

troutdude
troutdude
Modest_Man said:
She also sits at a desk all day while I'm out playing with fish.

Nominated for answer of the week!

Casting Call
Casting Call
If I had a "Do over" I would be a windmill maintenance tech with the power company. The manufacter/power co. sends you to school for free to learn theire product. Pays very, very well,and get a company truck. You can buy a home and acrers at a great price, drive home for lunch, be minutes away when on call. Raise your kids away from city influences. Be near your favorite waters and be outdoors. What else can you ask for? Tony (then I woke-up)

brandon4455
brandon4455
i'm in the middle of figuring out what i want to do fishery career wise, and right now i volunteer and help at a fish trap and do spawn surveys on my local creeks. The guys who get paid to do that stuff don't get a ton of money,but it's enough to pay the bills and it's fun. i'd do it the rest of my life it meant i could live decent

M
Modest_Man
My offer stands for you as well Brandon, feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions. I married well so I can do what I want job-wise.

T
troutmasta
Im a Junior at Oregon State in the Fisheries Management Program. I am focused on a Federal Biology Job. They pay a very decent living wage, great benefits, and of course hands on with fish for a living. There are jobs for private industry that a little make more, but like Steelmon said, If you enjoy it its not work.

One thing that does suck is the cost of school. Be prepared for that, its out of control!

M
montym
I am just curious, what would be a decent paying job pay for in Oregon for kids just starting out? I am not eligible to apply for any jobs here, so quite ignorant to be honest outside of the it industry.

T
troutmasta
Go to usajobs.gov all federal jobs. Narrow it down park ranger, bio assistant ect. All have entry level positions

E
eugene1
Hey don't forget about folks that are back in a lab somewhere analyzing the fish samples that the field bios collect!

Academic fisheries work is rewarding, has decent pay, you can make a positive impact to our fish, and lots of flexible time. You can also get out into the field often enough.

Guess who is working on a huge Willy valley steelhead research project here in CA because nobody in OR can? We are also studying South Umpy springers to determine if they should have more protection. Always glad to help the resource in anyway I can.

Lots of cool stuff everyday, but you do have to put in your time to get a Ph.D. to get to the top of the pile.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to pursue, sapo!