Blustery Thursday late report

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Took my mom fishing on Thursday, hoped to put the boat in. Got to the lake about 8:30 or 9, wind was horrible. Rain sucked. White caps. The more I readied the tin can, the worse it got. We bagged the boat idea and banked it - and I had to *gulp* fish with power bait because the only lures I had were trolling lures. Got nada by ramp C. Drove over to A. We each caught a fish after hiking the trails a bit. Wind and rain let up enough by 12:30 or so to launch the boat. Trolled for a while. Water was muddy and cold - 45 degree average surface temps, saw temps as low as 41. Few fish marked - did see lots of grass growth on the bottom - verified by the crap I kept bringing up on the downrigger ball and my lures. I tried trolling different depths for about and hour, we gave up and headed for a sheltered cove to get out of the wind - mi madre caught one more fish. We called it an early day when neither of us could feel our toes anymore - shoes too wet from sloggin the banks, plus the water accumulating in the boat from the rain.

My hands hurt like hell from the cold and wind - they got windburned because some goober with my face and name forgot his gloves. :blushing: It turned out to be not a horrible day - didn't get skunked, got to launch the boat anyway. Ramp A dock was still FUBAR. The benefits of having a small boat though - I launched right off the beach instead of the ramp. When we took out, I just winched her up the rocks onto the trailer. Cheap beater boats have benefits!

Can't wait for the weather to improve, the water to clear up and warm a few more degrees. Gonna be a couple weeks before I can get back out.

M
mikeee2362
Nice report! *shaking my head...some goober with my face and name...lol* I might go try it tomorrow since all the river levels SUCK...

troutdude
troutdude
Your mom's a trooper! Well done.

F
Fishermen Jim
troutdude said:
Your mom's a trooper! Well done.

Did you just accuse his mom of wearing combat boots? He he...

Most people I know would of bagged it for the day long before frost bite set in.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Shes gotta make up for lost time at the lake last year. Opening day 2013, she had some bank give way under her feet near the dam, went down and tore up ligaments in her leg. Took surgery and months and months of physical therapy before she could walk well enough to get back to the lake and fish again. Some nice people nearby heard her hollering and came to help. It was late in the season before she was back on her feet and could walk on uneven ground again.