New to Oregon where to start???

T
Tsisley
Just moved to Salem from New Mexico did a lot of fishing down there (trout, bass, catfish) but now that I'm in the pnw I have got to try my hand a salmon/steelhead fishing! Where do I start? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

B
bd2cool
Get a good guide and watch-ask lots of questions. Best way to lean about salmon/steelhead and will get you in the action quicker! :)

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to Oregon, and to OFF. Indeed, a guide is your best approach--to learn fast. Also grab a copy of, "Fishing in Oregon", by Maddy Diness. Then read up, on where / why / how. Also use youtube, to your advantage. Lots of tutorials in there.

WHERE you live / are willing to travel too--will be also be good to share.

T
Tsisley
bd2cool;n598899 said:
Get a good guide and watch-ask lots of questions. Best way to lean about salmon/steelhead and will get you in the action quicker! :)

I'm too young, dumb and cheap to hire a guide also that almost feels like cheating to me. I just need a general direction to head in but if some money frees up I may go this route.

C_Run
C_Run
Where? The coast in the next month or so. Salmon fishing has started up and you have a number of rivers within an hour or hour and a half drive of Salem. Winter steelhead continues after that for months. If you can cast a spinner or a bobber you can be fishing in no time. Do a little studying up and go for it. The guide suggestion is also very good advice.

Reactions: Tsisley
T
Tsisley
troutdude;n598900 said:
Welcome to Oregon, and to OFF. Indeed, a guide is your best approach--to learn fast. Also grab a copy of, "Fishing in Oregon", by Maddy Diness. Then read up, on where / why / how. Also use youtube, to your advantage. Lots of tutorials in there.

WHERE you live / are willing to travel too--will be also be good to share.

Thank you for the input I am living in Salem right off of mission I am willing to travel and even hiking in as I'm used to having to (New Mexico doesn't have much water) I have family in sandy but would it be better to head that way maybe the clackamas or towards the coast? Also keep in mind I am going to fishing from the bank.

T
Tsisley
C_Run;n598902 said:
Where? The coast in the next month or so. Salmon fishing has started up and you have a number of rivers within an hour or hour and a half drive of Salem. Winter steelhead continues after that for months. If you can cast a spinner or a bobber you can be fishing in no time. Do a little studying up and go for it. The guide suggestion is also very good advice.

Any key words, rivers, or areas I should be looking into for the coast? I am a research nut when it comes to this stuff but I seem to be missing something.

T
Tsisley
I appreciate all the advice so far please keep it coming

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Tsisley;n598903 said:
Thank you for the input I am living in Salem right off of mission I am willing to travel and even hiking in as I'm used to having to (New Mexico doesn't have much water) I have family in sandy but would it be better to head that way maybe the clackamas or towards the coast? Also keep in mind I am going to fishing from the bank.

x2 on the 'Fishing in Oregon' book, it will provide great bank fishing locations and info on a bunch of great rivers near you...and be prepared to fail, then fail again, (repeat as necessary), then succeed, then fail and succeed a bunch more but build OFF the success and then you are hooked....cheers, roger

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Tsisley;n598904 said:
Any key words, rivers, or areas I should be looking into for the coast? I am a research nut when it comes to this stuff but I seem to be missing something.

in the valley- Clackamas and Santiam for sure...McKenzie also.
central coast- Yaquina, Siletz, Alsea, Siuslaw

P
pinstriper
1) Get "The Book"
2) ODFW website has a Resources section. Bookmark. Read often.
3) The Guide's Forecast. Read weekly.
4) NW Steelheaders
5) Book a fishing lesson or 4 with Tanner
6) Start watching Outdoor GPS, try to ignore the stupid stuff

Reactions: Southpaw
troutdude
troutdude
rogerdodger;n598907 said:
in the valley- Clackamas and Santiam for sure...McKenzie also.
central coast- Yaquina, Siletz, Alsea, Siuslaw

Add the Wilson, Trask, Nehalem, and the Nestucca to that coastal list.

But do the Santiam, and Mac, have fall / winter runs that are open to fishing?

Oh; and my buddy Darryl @ Oregon City Charters just got for Fall Nooks, into his boat yesterday.

Also...visit this site, and launch the Salmon, and Steelhead, hotlinks.

http://www.bestfishinginamerica.com/oregon.html

T
Tsisley
Sweet thank you all for the direction I know this is going to be awesome! I'm used to catching small rainbows and browns (my pb being 5.5lbs) so the chance of big salmon is more than enough motivation to get out there! Hoping to befriend you guys and steal more of your veteran knowledge haha

C_Run
C_Run
Tsisley;n598904 said:

Your closest rivers from Salem would be Yaquina, Siletz, Salmon, Nestucca, and the Tillamook Bay rivers from south to north. Drive farther and you have more choices. That's the general bunch I would travel to for a day trip and I am in about the same area as you. Guess I left out Alsea to the south. There are fish to be had right now and it should improve once there is some rain and cooler weather.

T
Tsisley
C_Run;n598916 said:
Your closest rivers from Salem would be Yaquina, Siletz, Salmon, Nestucca, and the Tillamook Bay rivers from south to north. Drive farther and you have more choices. That's the general bunch I would travel to for a day trip and I am in about the same area as you. Guess I left out Alsea to the south. There are fish to be had right now and it should improve once there is some rain and cooler weather.
Great sounds like I need to get started soon!

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I haven't seen this suggestion thrown out there yet, and I apologize if it is something you have done already.....but be sure to pick up a copy of the Oregon Fishing Regulations as well. Some rivers can have different regulations than others, and it is very good to study them as much as you can before you head out.

Reactions: troutdude
P
pinstriper
Tsisley;n598904 said:

Here's a key word for you: Tanner.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Tsisley;n598901 said:
I'm too young, dumb and cheap to hire a guide also that almost feels like cheating to me.

Don't be cheap! Think of it as going to school! Your at the end of a long tunnel with no light at the end right now. Trust us on this.

T
Tsisley
TheKnigit;n598918 said:
I haven't seen this suggestion thrown out there yet, and I apologize if it is something you have done already.....but be sure to pick up a copy of the Oregon Fishing Regulations as well. Some rivers can have different regulations than others, and it is very good to study them as much as you can before you head out.

Already on my nightstand!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Tsisley;n598921 said:
Already on my nightstand!

and just in case you haven't heard this yet, the regs are easy to decode by noting they have three layers: 1-state wide rules and regs, then 2-zone regs (which overrule where differences exist), then 3-exceptions (which overrule zone regs for specific locations).

then I suggest getting familiar with the reg update area at the ODFW website, very important especially for salmon/steelhead/halibut/sturgeon...most of us sign up for e-mail alerts for any reg update...cheers, roger

Reactions: Troutski