Your favorite winter steelhead patterns for swinging

F
flytrekker1007
What are your guys favorite patterns for swinging in colored water and low clear water. I want to fish a couple flies for winter and a couple for summer. I like the green butt skunk and purple peril for summer fishing, sometimes a mini silvies extractor. I still can't figure out what my go to flies should be for winter. I just want to hear what your goto flies that you feel confident fishing. Thanks.

H
hydropsyche
I have really only fished for winters on the alsea the few I got on the swing in high water came to large sculpin and bunny Leach/ egg sucking leach patterns. I have swung up a few on small soft soft hackle flies when the water is low. On one nice March day I was hiking above the river and watched a couple native steehead taking flies from the surface as soon as I made one ugly casts they disappeared back to the depths of they're hole. Yesterday I swung a big orange tube fly, no dice for me but I did see a guy catch two in about 10 minutes on a small red and white jig. The river was chocolate milk today didn't even bother fishing there is still a bunch of sediment and leafy debris that needs to be flushed out before we see steelhead green.

F
flytrekker1007
I have heard a lot of guys like the leach patterns.

H
Herefishyfishy
Definitely leeches, articulated egg sucking bunny leech, MOAL leech etc. Green butt skunk and purple peril are faves too. It depends on the water of course especially for the amount of flash.

M
Modest_Man
Presentation > Pattern.

F
flytrekker1007
Ya, but it helps to be consistent and confident in a fly to figure out if it casts well, sinks well ect.

K
K406
It is so tempting to make the drive to Corvalis from PDX for this awesome raffle... So tempting! I may just have to make it happen, but will most likely still just go check out the showing in town here. A trip to Corvalis would be nice tho! Got 9 stiches in my hand this week, so was maybe gonna fish along the way to Corvalis for this, but probably not in the cards now. Whether I get the motivation to make the drive or just to check out the Portland showing, hope you guys get a great turnout. Awesome that it is put on by a not-for-profit.

K
K406
Sorry; was trying to respond to the F3T thread on my phone, and it obviously hates me...

M
markasd
For colored up water I like bright-assed MOAL's. For low clear water I quit swinging and nymph. Im not very good though, so for what its worth..
Mostly I just like to tie MOAL leeches... using a dubbing loop and cut off the hyde.

R
_RJ_
This year my go to fly has been the foxee dog popsicle. Cutthroat and steelies have been hitting it like a crack pipe. But now everything is on rise I'll be switching to a guide intruder or Hickman's taco.