Your favorite campsite, Maupin, Deschutes

Echskech
This friday 5/14, I plan to camp off of the Deschutes near Maupin. I'll be staying through the weekend and fishing the salmonfly hatch.

Can any OFF'rs recommend some camping locations of choice to set up camp at? As of now, my intention is to show up mid day friday and scout as many locations between Harpham Flats CG and Beavertail CG.

If anybody plans to be in the area and wants some fishing company, shoot me a line.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Snopro
Echskech said:
As of now, my intention is to show up mid day friday and scout as many locations between Harpham Flats CG and Beavertail CG.
Mid day Friday might be a little late to the party. That river on this weekend, it's going to be nutz.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Echskech
Echskech
We'll certainly see.
 
Rockitout
I wouldn't waste anytime scouting for a campsite, big weekend. Take the first spot you can find. My favorite is Oak Springs. You'll likely find more spots below the falls.
 
  • Like
Reactions: olshiftybiscuits, Grant22, Snopro and 1 other person
Grant22
Echskech said:
This friday 5/14, I plan to camp off of the Deschutes near Maupin. I'll be staying through the weekend and fishing the salmonfly hatch.

Can any OFF'rs recommend some camping locations of choice to set up camp at? As of now, my intention is to show up mid day friday and scout as many locations between Harpham Flats CG and Beavertail CG.

If anybody plans to be in the area and wants some fishing company, shoot me a line.
I have a lot of family members that live out there in wamic/pine hollow and are good friends with Gill (one of the guides). I would just take the first spot you could find for camping, it gets pretty crazy out there.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Echskech
realradiobrian
Just curious why it's a big weekend up there?
 
Snopro
realradiobrian said:
Just curious why it's a big weekend up there?
It's the annual Salmonfly hatch. Big trout on big bugs. It can be crazy good....and crazy crowded.
 
  • Like
Reactions: realradiobrian
olshiftybiscuits
Keep a close eye out for rattlers. Snakiest year I’ve experienced out there by far.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Grant22
DOKF
Thanks for the update on rattlers!
 
Grant22
olshiftybiscuits said:
Keep a close eye out for rattlers. Snakiest year I’ve experienced out there by far.
yeah those suckers'll get you, they like to hangout on and underneath large flat rocks along the riverbank, conveniently the same rocks you would want to fish off of.
 
  • Like
Reactions: olshiftybiscuits
CollinK
Speaking of rattlesnakes. This guy decided to watch me one morning. We both had a nice river view, but I decided to let him have it for himself. Have no idea how long I stood in front of him. Love The Deschutes!
 
olshiftybiscuits
CollinK said:
Speaking of rattlesnakes. This guy decided to watch me one morning. We both had a nice river view, but I decided to let him have it for himself. Have no idea how long I stood in front of him. Love The Deschutes!
Wow man, I'd need new pants! Cool shot.
 
Top Bottom