Yarn ball questions.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i have 3 tied up just to get me started and i wanted to buy some scent this upcoming payday along with my leader material. what scent do you guys and gals recommend and what bait /color combinations?. i appriciate any input just started making these things

brandon

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
Leftover egg goo or mike's salmon feast x-tra thick.

P
plumb2fish
Smelly jelly sand shrimp glo

S
SantiamDrifter
Krill and sandshrimp make up a huge part of a steelhead's diet. Start there. For some reason steelhead hate crawfish, with a passion. They pick them up in thier mouths and kill them. Thats a great 3rd choice. I love anise oil, but I wont waste that stuff on yarn balls. It only goes on my eggs.

As far as color's go, it depends on the water. If its high and dirty, reds/pinks/and orange's. If its in the middle, Different shade's of pink. Light pink with a darker pink is money. Low water I love bubble gum pink and white or pearl pink.

I would say 85% of the time im running my yarn balls with eggs tho, Thats where my scent comes from. And my eggs can all have different scents to them. But those 3 are the top 3.

S
steelhead_stalkers
You probably don't even need scent! Most every fish I have got on yarnies was unscented yarn! ;) I am sure it does not hurt though but if you don't have the money for it just fish them as is. Good luck.

brandon4455
brandon4455
greats tips everyone,thanks :D

brandon

M
metalfisher76
If the water is mud, go dark. Black, purple, blue and shades there of. All they will see is the silhouette of the OFFering anyway. If it`s snow melt the same will work and so will all the brites. Cream! is by far my most productive egg pattern. Especially as the season wares on.

troutdude
troutdude
When you go after trout, you might try Berkley's Trout Jelly. I like Green or Orange. It should adhere to the yarn quite well, and stay on for a while.

I
I Grade
I am pretty unimaginative during the winter as far as yarn is concerned. If I am fishing the coast I use a pearly pink corkie and white yarn. If I am fishing the clack or sandy I use an orange okie and white yarn. My theory is that the white yarn increases the profile in the stained water while looking like a piece of skein traveling with an 'egg'. As for scent... Mikes Anise w/UV if anything.

I Grade