Worms

G
GoDucks1
Anybody ever drift the good ol' nightcrawler for steel? Any luck?
 
T
Troutier Bassier
I heard that After a heavy rainfall, crawlers are one of the best baits to use! Just take one and thread it on your hook so it looks natural, When i gets to the curve break it off and add a Pautzkes ball of fire salmon eggs to it and thats KILLER for steelies after rain.
 
F
FishSlayer420
I caught and released two steelhead on worms up fall creek about 3 miles before bedrock. that was about two years ago. Thats the only time I have caught one on em.
 
B
Bfishin
Troutier Bassier said:
I heard that After a heavy rainfall, crawlers are one of the best baits to use! Just take one and thread it on your hook so it looks natural, When i gets to the curve break it off and add a Pautzkes ball of fire salmon eggs to it and thats KILLER for steelies after rain.
Naaah, I've experimented with that with no success. I find that worms tend to do the trick later in the summer. You caught em on worms yourself or you just hear that? You might catch more trout that way tho bro;)
 
J
JeannaJigs
Late in July/August I've got 'em with night crawlers and a real small orange/brown/green speckled corkie. it's such light gear you could use it for trout, but it's worked for the summer steel.
 
Troutski
Troutski
Steel on Worms...

Steel on Worms...

I caught so many Steelhead while drifting a night crawler for Trout that I started drifting them under a bobber, my catch rate went through the roof. Low water or high it didn't seem to make a difference...live bait is pretty hard to resist for any fish. Not that Metal doesn't work, but when you can constantly catch either species at any given time it is worth the effort. Now like what has been said before, where I am fishing the Steelhead don't get anywhere as big as they do up north but the name of the game is quantity in my neck of the woods. Our fish seem to average between 8 and 12 Lbs..

Chuck
 
B
Bfishin
Troutski said:
I caught so many Steelhead while drifting a night crawler for Trout that I started drifting them under a bobber, my catch rate went through the roof. Low water or high it didn't seem to make a difference...live bait is pretty hard to resist for any fish. Not that Metal doesn't work, but when you can constantly catch either species at any given time it is worth the effort. Now like what has been said before, where I am fishing the Steelhead don't get anywhere as big as they do up north but the name of the game is quantity in my neck of the woods. Our fish seem to average between 8 and 12 Lbs..

Chuck
You're right Troutski. ThEse introduced Summer Steelies don't get bigger than 12lb, and that's big. Now those native Winters like you caught the other day at Leaburg get a little larger. Quantity is right too. I've got 3 Summers on my tag this year and that's my best start ever. By the way that was a beautiful Nate you caught up there. I know you C&R most your fish, but you're allowed to keep one Native I believe.
 
Troutski
Troutski
Alive and well...

Alive and well...

Bfishin said:
You're right Troutski. ThEse introduced Summer Steelies don't get bigger than 12lb, and that's big. Now those native Winters like you caught the other day at Leaburg get a little larger. Quantity is right too. I've got 3 Summers on my tag this year and that's my best start ever. By the way that was a beautiful Nate you caught up there. I know you C&R most your fish, but you're allowed to keep one Native I believe.

I know you can keep them but the guy had already made some more babies and I figured he deserved a second chance at another salt; maybe I will get a chance next year before all his weight is gone...great fun on a ultra light set up. With the current that river is running at it was a ball.

Chuck
 
B
Bfishin
Troutski said:
I know you can keep them but the guy had already made some more babies and I figured he deserved a second chance at another salt;

Chuck
Good call. I like the thought of preserving our Native fish.
 
T
Thuggin4Life
Is there a picture of this spawned out torpedo? Haven't seen one post spawn.
 
H
halibuthitman
Ive caught quite a few on a black plastic worm, dead drifted no bobber no weight in the tailouts when it settles on the gravel they run up and smack it, awsome sight fishing!
 
Y
youngbuck307
My dad use to drift worms for summers all the time and would kill them on it... kinda nice you can get trout or summers on a worm...
 
B
Bfishin
Thuggin4Life said:
Is there a picture of this spawned out torpedo? Haven't seen one post spawn.

Go to the Leaburg section Andy. Theres a pic in there
 
F
FishTastic
LOL. I thought worms were my best kept secret. Yeah I slam metal all year long with crawlers and a medium corkie, usually a bright obnoxious color, but yeah it works, it works so well that I had to start a worm farm to cut back on bait costs. It is true that you will get a lot of trout that will try for your bait but they can be somewhat entertaining on a dull day.
 

Similar threads

D
Replies
0
Views
300
Diamond Lake Charlie
D
U
Replies
2
Views
518
cakkee
C
P
Replies
12
Views
581
jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
Replies
39
Views
1K
pcstock
P
Trout Slayer_7
Replies
14
Views
1K
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Top Bottom