Woman catches enormous goldfish in Kansas City

D
Drew9870
There are all sorts of fish that most don't know about in Oregon waters which obviously don't belong, I would be willing to bet money there are Goldfish and Koi in the Willamette, the Columbia without a doubt, I believe Vancouver Lake (Washington) dumps right into the Columbia, and Vancouver Lake is full of Goldfish according to Wikipedia.

I would bet there are some crazy fish in the Willy, like aquarium fish that possibly outgrew their tank because the owner thought it would be a baby forever.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Drew9870 said:
There are all sorts of fish that most don't know about in Oregon waters which obviously don't belong, I would be willing to bet money there are Goldfish and Koi in the Willamette, the Columbia without a doubt, I believe Vancouver Lake (Washington) dumps right into the Columbia, and Vancouver Lake is full of Goldfish according to Wikipedia.

I would bet there are some crazy fish in the Willy, like aquarium fish that possibly outgrew their tank because the owner thought it would be a baby forever.

i caught one of those pocastomis or whatever they are while bottom fishing in the willy. it weighted atleast 5-6lbs and was over a foot and a half long. there are definitely some weird fish in there

D
Drew9870
Thats insane for a Pleco, I had plecostamus in mind when I said aquarium fish, I seen one in Wirth.

Reactions: n8r1
T
TTFishon
When I was a kid I remember this old man caught 2 oscars out of a pond I used to fish. They were big too....around 13 or 14 inches. I remember telling him that they're aquarium fish but he didn't care and took them home anyway for dinner. Mmm. :lol:

T
Troutier Bassier
I know a place 20 minutes from my house that has a koi in it the size of that one, if not a little bigger.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I remember when I was a kid, KOIN News did a short series on Piranah found in Oregon waters - some were caught in the Willamette in down town Portland, others from ponds around the region. Ed Waylon was the man on scene, and I distinctly remember him fishing in one of his news casts. I can't remember if he caught anything or not. There was one fellow that pulled a 2lb fish out of a pond near the Flying M, IIRC. Would not surprise me at all if someone had dumped their illegal pets into our rivers or lakes.

My nephew caught one of those aquarium cleaning fish from Dairy Creek last season. Well, when I say caught - he snagged the thing right in the side with a small jig... definitely didn't belong in that creek!

Gunga
Gunga
Hahaha i remember that lol. I also remember i caught that 8 inch squaw to with the same grub. I sholda killed it but didn't.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Some one caught a piranha at the expo ponds down here a few years ago.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Drew9870 said:
Thats insane for a Pleco, I had plecostamus in mind when I said aquarium fish, I seen one in Wirth.

yeah, it was pretty damn big. i brought it home and put it in my huge ass tank with my bass. it lived for about a year and a half and died. probably an old ass fish

T
the_intimidator03
gungas, Pirhana's are not actually illegal in the state of oregon, There are 3 species allowed to be kept in the home aquarium. Red belly, Black and i cannot recall the 3rd species. I do find people who dont do their research before getting pets to be, oh what do you say... stupid? is that nice enough?

D
Drew9870
the_intimidator03 said:
gungas, Pirhana's are not actually illegal in the state of oregon, There are 3 species allowed to be kept in the home aquarium. Red belly, Black and i cannot recall the 3rd species.

These are PACU, not PIRANHA, +Silver Dollars, +Oriental Weatherfish, +Round Goby, are PROHIBITED.

Red Bellied Piranhas are not always Piranhas (as fry), they are sometimes Pacu and the pet store owners don't know anything about fish, they just want a buck or two. Piranhas are pointless in aquaria unless you know a thing or two about fish, people just think they are soooo cool

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I saw an episode of River Monsters the other night- he was fishing in Papa/New Guinea I think, and caught a big fish he first thought was a piranah, it turned out to be pacu - they look very similar, the pacu doesn't have the same type of teeth like his flesh eating cousin. A villager on the epi said the equivalent of their DNR stocked the Amazonian fish as a way to increase the number and type of fish in this lake they were fishing.

Personally, I'd rather have the "fighting fish" than piranah or whatnot. I had a few when I was a kid and had a tank. I also had some neat albino cats, a couple gold fish, and a fish that I swear looked like a pumpkinseed, but they called it something else. THen my sister decided to clean my tank one day while I was at school. She put all my fish in zip lock bags, w/o aeration. And forgot about them. Killed EVERY one of them, including the tank sucker fish... :( I had something like 30 fish in my tank. I can't imagine what people are thinking when they decide to dump those fish in a river or lake or pond... if you don't want them, and can't give them away - flush 'em down the toilet - of course, if you live in portland, drop the fish in boiling water first or something to kill them before doing so.